Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Penguins) 2016 Playoffs (Pens fans, read note in OP) - Part II

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Please continue the discussion.

A reminder of our local rules:

10) Neutral Boards vs Home Boards (and Visiting Fans) – This forum is primarily for Caps fans. Things said here may not fly on other team boards or even neutral boards. Similarly, some topics or comments that might be OK on neutral boards may be unwanted on a team board. If a visiting fan truly does “come in peace” and follows the site and local rules then there is likely no problem. But be advised that this is Caps fan “home ice” and rival fans stopping by making questionable posts probably won't get the benefit of the doubt (meaning high possibility of infractions, threadbans, forum bans, etc). On our team board we may make comments about how we don't like rival cities or buildings or teams, but we MAY NOT make insulting, general comments about the fans as people. What we post is searchable on the web and isn't limited to our board. Keep that in mind before posting.

Visiting fans here to "correct", "steer", or "manage" our discussion are not welcome. You have your own boards and the neutral playoff board for that.

Last edited:

Dobe*

they had wardo last season and blew a 3 games to 1 lead. before that it was wardo's double minor high sticking penalty in the last 30 seconds of a game that killed them. its not wardo. its not the individual players. its the franchise

Before they didn't have Oshie/Williams/etc. This time it's Wardo. Wardo + everyone else on the roster right now (minus say Winnik/Richards) gives them 3 lines of top 9 players (~ish counting Chimera) and is a playoff monster. This way they have Richards in the top 9 and he throws off a lot of the pressure they can put on the Pens. With Wardo it's 2-2 or maybe even 3-1. These were all 1 goal losses remember.

Also had they scooped up Daley they'd have had it. Or hell any solid PMD. Good defensive puckmovement is like having a 6th man on the ice. Their inability to move the puck from the backend absolutely dooms them.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Before they didn't have Oshie/Williams/etc. This time it's Wardo. Wardo + everyone else on the roster right now (minus say Winnik/Richards) gives them 3 lines of top 9 players (~ish counting Chimera) and is a playoff monster. This way they have Richards in the top 9 and he throws off a lot of the pressure they can put on the Pens. With Wardo it's 2-2 or maybe even 3-1. These were all 1 goal losses remember.

At the very least, he goes for the dirty goals. Why they haven't stuck Wilson's big ass in front of the net yet I'll never know.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Leave him be, or he'll start quoting Scripture next.

BobbyCarpenter

Jan 22, 2008
Houston, TX
Haven't the Pens been blowing 3-1 series leads lately? Maybe the Caps turn it around here. Sometimes all it takes is a fluke goal to get some momentum going. Then that momentum builds into something much bigger.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
If they lose this series ,Caps are going to have to look pretty closely at this line-up.

Call me crazy (you will), at what point do you sell some of these core players off for high value while you still can?

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
You have to have heart to win in the playoffs and it is clear this core doesn't have it. It's been a decade. The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

It may be time to move on from at least Backstrom.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
It's pretty obvious the franchise is cursed. I've always believed it from day one. That's what happens when you make a mockery of the Stanley Cup. The hockey God's have been pissed since 1974.

“Well that was pretty good, to be honest,†Labre said. “I mean, let’s face it, that was one of the longest seasons of my life. And that game, I’m not saying it made the whole year. But there were a few guys — who was it? Tommy Williams had gotten this little trashcan out of the dressing room, and he had a bunch of guys sign it. Him and a couple other guys [brought it out] in the Oakland rink, and were skating around with it. They called it the Stanley Can.â€

Like, an on-ice, Stanley Cup-esque celebration?

“Yeah, that’s what they did,†Labre laughed.

Link.

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
41 years...............like clockwork. I can set my watch by it. Amazingly, it still hurts.

I'll still be rooting for a comeback from 3-1 down, but I have no optimism.

Why can every team in the league pass the puck better than the Caps?

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
**** everything and everybody except you guys. You guys make this insufferable team worth following...

mrwarden

Nothing Witty
Jan 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Hard to imagine a hockey trade where we get fair value for Backstrom. Drouin plus plus? Trading him for anything other than a current star kills the rest of Ovie's prime and there are no unhappy stars needing a move that I can think of.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
I'm not saying the Penguins aren't better than us, and I'm not saying they weren't great down the stretch. But have they looked "great" or unbeatable in any of these games? The Rangers were trash, and our Caps seem like a bunch of gutless pukes.
If they could bear down or elevate their game at all we'd take care of them. It's just maddening.

mdurbin1234

Nov 6, 2012
well lets just make sure we keep making minimalist game day threads. We wouldn't want any bad luck, would we??

Can't believe after ALL this franchise has been through, people resort to THAT as some sort of original good luck charm, when in reality about 20% of hf boards does the same - and none of them win it all! LOL.

Weird thing to rant about, but has always annoyed me.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Caps have no injuries at all to their offensive players - yet Caps have 21 goals in 10 games. Only player out is Orpik.

3rd line D is costing team games - but Pitt is scoring their third goal to win games. The third line this Caps team has is going to give up goals like Schmidt/Weber have given up.

The issue is scoring. 2 goals/game isn't going to get it done. Caps past 3 or 4 playoffs now all avg like exactly 2 goals/game. This year is no exception. They need to get to 3 goals to win a game. Considering they've done that only 3 times times this entire postseason (Caps have scored 2 or less in 7 of the 10 playoff games this year), I just don't see it. We either have to play perfect defensively (which isn't happening with the personnel), or Caps need to score to win games.

I just don't see it happening this year guys. This was the game the Caps really needed to win. If they couldn't win tonight/score at least 3 goals with Pitts most important player out - and their entire top pairing D out - It's a death sentence.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, if it's 2 years window, GMBM needs to fix what was wrong this time.

He'll hardly replace Trotz. Maybe they should think about new assistants. I mean, who knows offense and can teach guys some ways to score? Maybe Adam Oates?

2nd line. OK, now you can't change that personnel. Those are the core players for the future (Kuz and Bura). One has to hope they will learn from it and some new coaching style will be applied to them to help these kids.

Williams? Well. Last year of contract, let him play 3RW. Radulov can't be worse for sure.

Chimera is done. Winnik is great guy for what he's doing. Even Richards is looking at least OK. I bet they should try Vrana (due to low salary) in bottom-6. So try to tune the 3rd and 4th lines and go at it again.

Defense? Orpik >> youngsters.

Orlov may go. No PK, no PP for him. Will ask for 3M or smth like that. Just get competent experienced Dman for that LD position. He's not helping.

If Ovi wasn't 30 already we could wait for Orlov to develop. But it's time for the last ALL IN in 2017. Bowey should be better stylistically. Faster, right handed, from Kelowna, much cheaper. That's it.

Schmidt should stay for another year at least.

PS: I don't see how trading Backstrom or Ovechkin will help. I don't think their play is poor. Opponent is paid to defend against them, and they're still our best line. It's not on them squarely.

Last edited:

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
"Unfortunately, that has been the Caps’ response to playoff losses since Biblical times, when they blew a two-game lead to the Pharisees."

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Clearly some of the core needs to be moved cause they ain't cutting it.

I don't think so. There's nobody really questionable left. Backstrom... hard to find alternatives, and at his cap hit he's still at least a decent 2C. Ovi has brought it -- and moving him is almost a separate discussion, since it's the nuclear option.
Carlson, Alzner & Holtby are fine.
Kuz & Bura are still young and cheap, good luck finding a deal that makes you better.
Mojo, ok, but he somehow actually produced points these playoffs.

I would focus on making the team faster, more energetic. "Fast grit". Chimera (fast only in spurts), Williams, Richards, Winnik, etc -- try to replace with options with better legs.

Oshie & Beagle are also not fast enough, but you can make the argument that they make up for it with work-rate. (Williams looked like he could do it, too, but... I dunno).

Wilson... would like to keep somehow, but he also does not quite measure up (yet).

Could listen for some amazing deal on Backstrom/Kuz/Bura, but I think it would take a miracle to get back equivalent value.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Hard to imagine a hockey trade where we get fair value for Backstrom. Drouin plus plus? Trading him for anything other than a current star kills the rest of Ovie's prime and there are no unhappy stars needing a move that I can think of.

Well they can trade him for a young piece with years of control and go hard for someone like Stamkos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad