Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Penguins) 2016 Playoffs (Pens fans, read note in OP) - Part II

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Holtby was Holtby, and Murray was Murray, imo. This time the bad bounces didn't even things up nearly as much.

For the first time this series the Caps scored with 3 different players, albeit the same 3 guys who have been doing most of the scoring vs the Pens (Ovie, Williams, Oshie). Second time they scored more than 2 goals, with the first being due to Oshie's game one hat trick.

I think we steal game 6 and force a tense game 7 where both sides are afraid of choking. Orpik with at least one gwg. :sarcasm:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Scott Oake brought up the flukey goals that have happened with regularity to Holtby last night. So, its not just Caps fans that have noticed this. Holtby just shrugged.

I will admit that I love the Holtby temperament.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Pens fans lurking just need to keep assuring themselves the lack of odd mans was their own fault, that Coach Cherry Pick will get it all figured out.

And, that S1d crying and whining within the friendly confines of home, will be all that is needed to get all the calls you both are used to getting.

Lastly, don't forget your teams propensity to choke away 3-1 leads. Exuding false confidence is a normal reaction to panic, don't worry. Keep clicking your heels together.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Holtby was Holtby, and Murray was Murray, imo. This time the bad bounces didn't even things up nearly as much.

For the first time this series the Caps scored with 3 different players, albeit the same 3 guys who have been doing most of the scoring vs the Pens (Ovie, Williams, Oshie). Second time they scored more than 2 goals, with the first being due to Oshie's game one hat trick.

I think we steal game 6 and force a tense game 7 where both sides are afraid of choking. Orpik with at least one gwg. :sarcasm:

Yep. No fluky goals by the Pens and the Caps finally pounced on a rebound that Murray liberally gives up as well Murray giving up a softie 5 hole goal.

Jackstrom19

Jun 5, 2012
Just here to say let the GDT guy be the GDT guy the rest of the year. Talk about production!

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
The story of the series so far have been the Penguins fluke goals or the Caps would have swept them.

Last edited:

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Holtby played great last night....much better than just "good enough". They needed every save he made IMO, even if they won by 2. He made every save he should make and several that, had they gone in you couldn't have blamed him. That's what they needed...him at his best. I don't recall any real big rebounds, he seemed in control and totally on top of his game.

without that kind of effort, him being better than he had been, they would be eliminated.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
The story of the series so far have been the Penguins fluke goals or the Caps would have swept them.

No. At best every game would have gone to OT, at worst the Caps still wouldn't have been scoring.

Last night we got three goals, including one at ES, and limited them to one goal. It took great goaltending from Holtby to get us the chance, but it also took scoring which has been lacklustre this series.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
No. At best every game would have gone to OT, at worst the Caps still wouldn't have been scoring.

Last night we got three goals, including one at ES, and limited them to one goal. It took great goaltending from Holtby to get us the chance, but it also took scoring which has been lacklustre this series.

The two PP goals from this game cant be stressed enough how important those were, I think it might get the Pens a bit worried come PP. It really hasnt so far.

And Holtby finally being Holtby, he's been good so far but this is the first time he actually played like the Vezina winner he will become in January.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I think you have to play to your strengths. Game 5 was the first time this post season players made decisions to make a good hockey play rather than the hit, excluding the early Backstrom mistake. We are a deeper, better skilled team than anyone in the league. I think we bought into us being big too much and it resulted in decisions to lay the body at times where a puck play made more sense.

Our strength is our PP and that our top 9 and top 4 D is strong when grouped right.
Play Ovi, Oshie, Backstrom heavy minutes, role 3 lines and if we get a lead, get the cycle players ours there.

We can do this. We have the game and the players, it's now up to Trotz to execute to perfection.
Agreed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
when a team is playing one defenceman 30 minutes you hit him any chance you get. The turnover on the Williams goal might well also have been,the result of aol that hitting

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
"He's our leader. We look up to him," Oshie said. "When you see a guy like him that can beat you in so many different ways come out and bring that type of energy, you'd better get on board or just stay on the bench."

oshie on ovechkin. like this quote

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm still worried that we might not make it, but if we force a game 7, all the pressure will be on the Pens for blowing a 3-1 lead. They haven't lost two consecutive games in a long time, but we had our streak snapped by the Flyers, perhaps we can snap their streak too.

I'm curious to see if Trotz will make other adjustments based on game 5.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Holtby played great last night....much better than just "good enough". They needed every save he made IMO, even if they won by 2. He made every save he should make and several that, had they gone in you couldn't have blamed him. That's what they needed...him at his best. I don't recall any real big rebounds, he seemed in control and totally on top of his game.

without that kind of effort, him being better than he had been, they would be eliminated.

Teams always need every save a goaltender gives them. Holtby played his usual game, which is typically steady with some outstanding saves thrown in (when already up 2 goals in this case). He hasn't given up many bad goals the entire series and he's been victimized by fluke plays. If not for those flukes his save % matches last night's results.

This wasn't a 1-0 stolen game. The Caps finally woke up and got some scoring, including on the power play, and the Pens didn't get any freak goals. As a result the better goaltender won, which could've been the case in most of the other games in the series with a bit more puck luck and a better PP.

Keep banging that drum, though. ;)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It was without a doubt Holtby's best game of the series so far. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. He made a handful of absolutely incredible saves.

Sep 19, 2008
1 allowed goal which is pretty damn good considering he gave up 3,2,3 and 3 in the other 4 games, respectively. As someone at the game last night seeing him make that save when he was diving forward, in the second period right in front of my seat, that was amazing.

He's got the potential to be pretty damn good the rest of the way, the boys just need to back him up. Because he can't do it himself. He needs help from the offense and defense.

One major concern I keep having about this team is the turnovers, and they worried me last night too. The passing was just inaccurate. But Pittsburgh committed a fair amount of turnovers too, which was good. Plus the power plays really helped, two of the Caps goals came off the PP.

Gotta get up early on Murray and stifle the Penguins again Tuesday. It's possible to shut them down like they were last night. Especially with Orpik coming back. Now just put goals on Murray.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad