Prospect Info: Round 2, 46th Overall - Samu Tuomaala (RW) - Karpat Jr. -- 5'10", 179 pounds

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
That tends to be better for players.

Is it good management to have multiple players revolt against the Flyers development values? Is that a sign that the process is useful and constructive?
No it isn’t and it’s silly to suggest it is. The player doesn’t want to play ball. Why would any other team want him? Kid needs an abrupt attitude adjustment if he ever wants to be a pro hockey player

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No it isn’t and it’s silly to suggest it is. The player doesn’t want to play ball. Why would any other team want him? Kid needs an abrupt attitude adjustment if he ever wants to be a pro hockey player

So his choices are have the Flyers ruin his career, or ruin his career.

Quite the dead end development process.

pooch

May 30, 2017
How is this kid progressing? At one point, I think reports were that he was looking pretty disappointing. Has that changed at all?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's turned 20, if he was putting up these kinds of numbers in the CHL in his PD+2 year y'all be salivating.
Next season is the key, he wasted a season, then dominated a low level league, next year he needs to hold his own in Liiga or the AHL.

He's got the raw skill to turn it around. Will he?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
My hopes aren’t high, but at least he’s got skill.

With his feet & shot, I’m not writing him off completely yet.

Reactions: Svedu

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He's turned 20, if he was putting up these kinds of numbers in the CHL in his PD+2 year y'all be salivating.
Next season is the key, he wasted a season, then dominated a low level league, next year he needs to hold his own in Liiga or the AHL.

He's got the raw skill to turn it around. Will he?

However, the CHL is a legit good development league... not a level below the ECHL.

He was very bad again in Liiga this year in 14 games...

He has a great skill-set, but his IQ has to improve to be a good Liiga player, let alone NHL.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
My hopes aren’t high, but at least he’s got skill.

With his feet & shot, I’m not writing him off completely yet.

Agreed.

So what's up for him this next season?
I believe he would've benefitted of playing in NA just like Brad Lambert. Even if one year in the juniors would have been good for him I don't think a year in Liiga next season would necessarily be better than the AHL for him, quite the opposite. Considering his skillset, it's mostly speed and his shot. I feel like it would probably suit him better to play in a smaller rink.
Samu and Lambert played together in the Finnish u17 or u18 and he had the speed to match Lamberts playmaking...
So, even if he's quite limited in some ways I do think he could eventually become decent but that he's a player type that will need that playmaking center to thrive. He's not the player that will succeed on his own right now.

Overall, I think some people write off wingers who need that playmaking center too quickly. Laine is another example, yeah totally different type with less speed and more size. But people tend to forget how much better he was when he had Stastny and others centering his line than Little and some other centers in the CBJ.
Some wingers are actually able to produce and become good scorers but not all of them will be the best creators on their own. I think it's pretty weird that the NHL and some organizations are so slow and bad at getting that.
Like look which player your'e drafting and create a plan that suits the individual the best. That would be the most serious thing to do but some organizations, especially Philly and the Jets (Heinola and Vesalainen are great examples) lack in this. Oilers have been very bad at this as well.
And this comes from a Leijonat supporter who roots a bit extra for the Flyers. They have been so mismanaged it's not even funny.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ciernak may be a similar gamble, but in the 4th rd, not the 2nd.
Which is where you gamble on skills without brains.
Or brains without skates (Strome).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Ciernak may be a similar gamble, but in the 4th rd, not the 2nd.
Which is where you gamble on skills without brains.
Or brains without skates (Strome).

Ciernik is twice as good of a player as Tuomaala right now at 2 years younger.

The Tuomaala pick was a fair gamble... but there were better players to gamble on at the time. *Cough* Raty *Cough*.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Agreed.

So what's up for him this next season?
I believe he would've benefitted of playing in NA just like Brad Lambert. Even if one year in the juniors would have been good for him I don't think a year in Liiga next season would necessarily be better than the AHL for him, quite the opposite. Considering his skillset, it's mostly speed and his shot. I feel like it would probably suit him better to play in a smaller rink.
Samu and Lambert played together in the Finnish u17 or u18 and he had the speed to match Lamberts playmaking...
So, even if he's quite limited in some ways I do think he could eventually become decent but that he's a player type that will need that playmaking center to thrive. He's not the player that will succeed on his own right now.

Overall, I think some people write off wingers who need that playmaking center too quickly. Laine is another example, yeah totally different type with less speed and more size. But people tend to forget how much better he was when he had Stastny and others centering his line than Little and some other centers in the CBJ.
Some wingers are actually able to produce and become good scorers but not all of them will be the best creators on their own. I think it's pretty weird that the NHL and some organizations are so slow and bad at getting that.
Like look which player your'e drafting and create a plan that suits the individual the best. That would be the most serious thing to do but some organizations, especially Philly and the Jets (Heinola and Vesalainen are great examples) lack in this. Oilers have been very bad at this as well.
And this comes from a Leijonat supporter who roots a bit extra for the Flyers. They have been so mismanaged it's not even funny.

He's a bust. It happens.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Laine had 44 goals in the show at the same age.
Yeah, i guess you missed the point. Also, he had Stastny centering him back then or at least a playmaking center.
Laine was picked as number two behind Matthews. Different story in that way but yeah, he didn't manage as well after that season with worse centers did he? The point...

He's a bust. It happens.
Yep so far, like most players Philly selects... Ouch.

You could also name Heimosalmi as a bust because he was horrendous at the WJC's, Koivunen wasn't good either.
Sometimes young players go through tough periods and overcome them. But I guess you've never heard about that before.
Tolvanen? Perhaps even Lambert later on?

Last but not least, we could call the last pick of that draft a steal. But so far, that would be a reach because Niko Huuhtanen hasn't played a game in the NHL yet. Again, that's the f*cking point.

Edit: Just take a freaking look at Carter Harts numbers, is he considered as a bust? He's older and drafted in the second round as well. His numbers these last 4 years are nothing but sh*t. Oh, or are some of you guys suddenly trying to have a deeper thought process regarding him? Like considering different factors to why he's been sh*t? Lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad