Prospect Info: Round 2, 46th Overall - Samu Tuomaala (RW) - Karpat Jr. -- 5'10", 179 pounds

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I forgot about this guy

It was a weak draft. I wouldn't concern yourself, slim pickings and all. Chuck Fletcher is an excellent drafter, I've heard it said many times. And you can be sure all his blank check resources went into this draft.

Even worse when you realize he was our 1st pick in that Draft thanks to the Risto debacle. Worse still when you realize we passed on Ville Koivunen, who of course ended up selected by Carolina.

Well, actually I'd frame it as passing directly on Stankoven, who was picked 1 after, and is also a smaller RW with shooting as his primary talent. That's a 1-for-1 evaluation call with massive overlap, and Stankoven looked like a top 15 pick on paper, while Tuomaala looked like a 2nd round risk/reward pick. Stankoven has almost double the points of anyone on his team right now and is the most productive player in the WHL.

Koivunen isn't perfect, especially in the athletics department, but he played on the same team as Tuomaala in Finnish juniors and the u18s. Getting players on the same team (even linemates!) wrong just can't happen. Tuomaala has the flashier tools -- I don't know if you've picked up on Fletcher needing new jorts every time he sees one dimensional speed+shot -- but I felt somewhat strongly that Koivunen (who had better junior stats) was a much smarter player. Maybe he's a floor pick, but that's a realistic floor after his D+1. Someone like Pastujov I had roughly on the same tier as Stankoven, and he went 20 picks after.

Tuomaala was the one player they selected with any reasonable skill-set (with the exception of their probably now best pick, 7th rounder McLaughlin, who played at the Hill School and was probably a throw-you-a-bone pick). It's almost incomprehensible how poor and lazy they handled the 2021 draft.

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
This guy wasn’t a bad draft pick per se. He has talent he just isn’t anywhere as advanced as he thought he was. Wasn’t ready to play in the AHL, stalled his assignment by refusing to go to the OHL and then wasn’t ready for the Euro league he chose. Don’t think it was the Flyers want or plan for him to go there. he has basically self destructed his career to date.

Hopefully he figures it out quick as it was a wasted year.

I’m guessing in a regular year where in person interviews and more in person scouting contact was allowed some of the red flags would have shown up. If not chalk that up to poor scouting. You can’t coach two things. Size and stupid. There have been many extreme high skill players not make it for both. Hope he isn’t one of them

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It was a weak draft. I wouldn't concern yourself, slim pickings and all. Chuck Fletcher is an excellent drafter, I've heard it said many times. And you can be sure all his blank check resources went into this draft.

Well, actually I'd frame it as passing directly on Stankoven, who was picked 1 after, and is also a smaller RW with shooting as his primary talent. That's a 1-for-1 evaluation call with massive overlap, and Stankoven looked like a top 15 pick on paper, while Tuomaala looked like a 2nd round risk/reward pick. Stankoven has almost double the points of anyone on his team right now and is the most productive player in the WHL.

Koivunen isn't perfect, especially in the athletics department, but he played on the same team as Tuomaala in Finnish juniors and the u18s. Getting players on the same team (even linemates!) wrong just can't happen. Tuomaala has the flashier tools -- I don't know if you've picked up on Fletcher needing new jorts every time he sees one dimensional speed+shot -- but I felt somewhat strongly that Koivunen (who had better junior stats) was a much smarter player. Maybe he's a floor pick, but that's a realistic floor after his D+1. Someone like Pastujov I had roughly on the same tier as Stankoven, and he went 20 picks after.

Tuomaala was the one player they selected with any reasonable skill-set (with the exception of their probably now best pick, 7th rounder McLaughlin, who played at the Hill School and was probably a throw-you-a-bone pick). It's almost incomprehensible how poor and lazy they handled the 2021 draft.

Raty was the guy for me at the time... Stankoven 2nd I guess.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Raty was the guy for me at the time... Stankoven 2nd I guess.

I hated Raty's tape for an 18 year old -- no confidence, fumbly with the puck, not showcasing his tangible skill -- and I can't understand why he looks so good this year. Even back to Isles preseason games, it just was not the same player. Definitely one of the weirder cases in recent years. I know what I saw in a few games last year.....he looked horrible.

But there were so many good players taken from 14th overall to the 3rd round and beyond. Many looking even better. I can't get over how Fletcher and Flahr publicly bragged about their prospect evaluation skills in declaring it a bad draft for all to hear. Especially for guys who throw around the excuse of "COVID" like it's going out of style. Then to take only the lowest of low ceiling players who actually had normal schedules. It makes me mad. But don't worry, they're doing it again this year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Is it a good idea to drop a development project into a horrible development system?

I'll bet I will be told it is!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I can't believe they didn't get a single 2022 pick. I thought at minimum they would have recouped the 2nd rounder from the Ghost trade.

The Eggman doesnt like the 2022 Draft.
147158328.jpg.0.jpg

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany

iam not lying. I cant think of any prospect in any US Sport (1st or 2nd round picks) with a worse development plan in the first year!

He all in all played 29 Games the whole season!!! Sitting in the seats looking other players play ice hockey! He was on 3 Teams over the span of 1 year!!!

They flyers f***ed this up totally!!! Respect for all you have done to your own high draft pick you APES!!!

Regular Season
2020-21KarpatSM-liiga500001----------
2021-22Sport VaasaSM-liiga131122
2021-22Jukurit MikkeliSM-liiga8011610000
2021-22Lehigh Valley Phantoms*AHL200000

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
What year was it that St. Louis did not draft anyone? Seems like the Flyers did it in 2021 but with anonymous generic names like Samson. Do they really exist or are they out of a Kafka or Camus novel? I guess we will find out in 2022 training camp.

“The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.”
― Albert Camus

“There is an infinite amount of hope in the universe ... but not for us.”
― Franz Kafka

Reactions: Appleyard

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What year was it that St. Louis did not draft anyone? Seems like the Flyers did it in 2021 but with anonymous generic names like Samson. Do they really exist or are they out of a Kafka or Camus novel? I guess we will find out in 2022 training camp.

“The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.”
― Albert Camus

“There is an infinite amount of hope in the universe ... but not for us.”
― Franz Kafka

Samson was supposedly a defensive defenseman:

"He pre-scans on retrievals, occasionally makes a crafty backhand pass into space, and accelerates through passes to join the rush. Currently, Samson’s best area is defence, where his physicality, consistent motor, and the occasional early stop in neutral zone provide an encouraging framework"

August birthday so he's really young for his draft class. 6'3 183 when drafted so has the frame to fill out.
WHL 65g 14-27 41 -24 [3 goalies, Brennan 39g .899, Young 20g .892, Gauthier 14g .923]
Haven't seen any reports of him, but those numbers suggests he may be a sleeper.
He's the only player on his team that has been drafted, 4th in scoring, top three are draft eligible this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In this case the player wasn’t interested in what the Flyers wanted development wise.
Hard to judge - on the one hand, a player having confidence is good, but bad judgement is bad.
See what happens next season.
He does reflect the philosophy of gambling on upside - which means you'll have some bad misses, but the hits will have more impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad