Prospect Info: Round 2, 46th Overall - Samu Tuomaala (RW) - Karpat Jr. -- 5'10", 179 pounds

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
Because it looked like he sucked at the sport of hockey this season, despite athleticism and motor. Absolutely one of my worst watches. Fumbly with the puck, little skill shown, hot potato passes, zero poise. Looked like the antithesis of an NHLer. I wouldn’t change my mind over a summer game.

Raty was by no accounts a mid-1st. His stock dropped like a rock. The Islanders love drafting tools/no toolbox, so it’s a perfect fit.

There were rumors that he had lost interest in the sport and was going to quit it.

Okay so a down year combined with some rumors about dedication or future options.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I had Tuomaala at #33, Stankoven at #32 and Raty at #34.
This was my pre draft take:
1. Samu Tuomaala RW 5’10 174 Tuomaala is a small speedy sniper type winger who has good playmaking skills. He is very adept at backing defenders off with his skating a creating shooting lanes. He is a volume shooter who while a sniper type, doesn’t have a real high end shot. He is quick to jump on pucks. He needs to work on his playmaking as he seems to mostly see and think shot. The Flyers don’t draft Finns usually, and I wouldn’t expect them to draft Tuomaala.

Get that last sentence. LOL

Sounds a bit like legendary Finn Sami Kapanen.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He's a second round pick. But yeah, it's hard to find NHL talent in the draft after the first. Just seems like the Flyers neither put in the work nor gave themselves enough opportunities to find good prospects.

They've drafted pretty well the last 7 years. This year was a lot more difficult due to Covid, but I still think they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Last year their decisions to trade up for Wisdom & Desnoyers were met with skepticism but look like good moves in hindsight.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
THN had him at #28

20210729_134640.jpg

Has his Best Case: Jesse Puljujarvi

DeweyCrowe

Jun 23, 2019
After watching these showcase games I'd be shocked if he ends up better than Raty (I would have taken Raty previously but realizing that it's a risky pick). I know you can't go by just a few games and there aren't any medals involved here but it's not just a matter of points. Raty has been really good all around (not sure I would use dominant but not too far off). Tuomaala seems to only go for the puck when there's no chance of contact. It's almost like his team is shorthanded when the other team has the puck. He covers his 6ft radius but that's it. He got demoted as the showcase when on. He started on the 1st line for the 1st game (although that could have just been a matter of them trying guys out in different spots, he didn't appear to deserver the 1st line spot). He ended the event on the 4th line with no PP time. They didn't put him on for D-zone faceoffs.

Friday's game went into 3v3 overtime and I didn't think he'd see the ice after his usage in the 3rd period. Surprisingly he got the 2nd shift in OT. I was excited to see him get a chance with all the open ice. He took a weak tough angle shot that got blocked and resulted in a change of possession (not a horrible play but was hoping for him to create something, the problem was what happed after), the US went right up the ice, blew by him as if he wasn't there and scored.

On Saturday after being demoted to the 4th line, he did start to engage more without the puck, less watching and actually threw a couple hits. It didn't work out too well for him because he took two penalties but as bad as one the penalties was on a late hit, I think his coach was actually happy to see him get involved. He was right back out there after the power play was killed off. Despite attempting to get more engaged without the puck, he didn't impress much.

I'm just a casual watcher but I'm worried this was not a good pick considering who was still available. Perhaps that he's gotten this far with his current off the puck effort shows there is some untapped potential there but it appears he has a lot of work to do.

Also, with the limited info on many in this years crop, why not try to have the draft after the showcases, just to get another look at players prior to the draft? I know there was talk about a pre-draft tournament that didn't have favor, but if they are already playing these showcases why not have the draft afterwards.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Finland played u20 games the week of the draft and the u18s played at the end of April. Tuomaala was seen plenty leading up to the draft. He's a bet on skating and shooting skill, but he's definitely flawed with high bust potential. In a vacuum, he's worth the gamble where he went based on those two skills alone, but when you are short picks like the Flyers have been and will be (and a 'meh' finish at best to the rest of the draft) it puts a lot of pressure on their evaluation being right.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
His hockey sense is just questionable. It all boils down to that. Questionable enough to not make a middle 6 impact? No clue. That’s the mid-2nd bet. I personally don’t buy he doesn’t give effort. I just don’t think he puts himself into good spots at times, with or without the puck. It was more often with the puck, watching him at the u18s. I honestly didn’t have a motor concern.

It’s why certain people value passing more than any other skill. His skating and shot were mid-1st level, but he’s less than the sum. When I can’t get a read of someone with obvious talent, it’s usually not a convoluted reason.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
His hockey sense is just questionable. It all boils down to that. Questionable enough to not make a middle 6 impact? No clue. That’s the mid-2nd bet. I personally don’t buy he doesn’t give effort. I just don’t think he puts himself into good spots at times, with or without the puck. It was more often with the puck, watching him at the u18s. I honestly didn’t have a motor concern.

It’s why certain people value passing more than any other skill. His skating and shot were mid-1st level, but he’s less than the sum. When I can’t get a read of someone with obvious talent, it’s usually not a convoluted reason.

Working towards a stupid idea often looks similar to not trying hard.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Why? Liiga >> CHL.

Because he won't get the ice time in Liiga. OHL worked out nice for Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen with Sudbury instead of Liiga. And Philly like their CHL guys. Samu could flourish with the North American game in the OHL, and then the following season in the AHL

Reactions: SanBlom

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I think that shift perfectly encapsulates all his strengths and visible skill, while also clueing you in to how those same strengths can manifest as weaknesses, at least presently.

To be fair to Tuomaala, guys like Koivunen and Salminen couldn’t carry the mail as primary transition players/puck carriers. There’s wiggle room in a future where he can play a more complimentary, off puck role.

Reactions: SnS and Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Overhandled the puck, as many young highly skilled players do, but gotta love the speed and energy.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Sudbury drafted two Euros this year so that ain't happening.

That doesn't mean anything. We still have the rights to all 3 until the season starts.

Every prospect is certainly different though. It might come down to whether the Flyers want him to learn the NA game on an OHL first line and PP1 or as a middle-sixer with limited special teams looks in the AHL. There are absolutely pros and cons to both. Will probably come down to how he looks at your rookie camp.

As an aside, he's a player whose development was harmed by COVID last season. He started the season as a projected first rounder and was planning on coming to Sudbury before COVID cancelled the entire OHL season. That very likely caused his stock to fall as he ended up having to play for Karpat's U20 side instead...and those Euro U-20 leagues are unfortunately both under-scouted, and lack serious competition from the junior teams of the smaller/less competitive clubs over there. I think he could become a steal as a mid 2nd rounder if he can make up for it this year, wherever he plays.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That doesn't mean anything. We still have the rights to all 3 until the season starts.

Every prospect is certainly different though. It might come down to whether the Flyers want him to learn the NA game on an OHL first line and PP1 or as a middle-sixer with limited special teams looks in the AHL. There are absolutely pros and cons to both. Will probably come down to how he looks at your rookie camp.

As an aside, he's a player whose development was harmed by COVID last season. He started the season as a projected first rounder and was planning on coming to Sudbury before COVID cancelled the entire OHL season. That very likely caused his stock to fall as he ended up having to play for Karpat's U20 side instead...and those Euro U-20 leagues are unfortunately both under-scouted, and lack serious competition from the junior teams of the smaller/less competitive clubs over there. I think he could become a steal as a mid 2nd rounder if he can make up for it this year, wherever he plays.
I don't think you draft two skaters if you think you have a legitimate shot at getting Tuomaala to commit (look at what Flint did knowing they had Kuzmin). Just my two cents. Since the Import Draft was before the Entry Draft this year, maybe the Flyers influence his decision after the fact, but Sudbury is probably a lot less desirable without Byfield in the picture. The OHL is a better option than the AHL this year though.

Personally I don't think he is above playing in the Finnish U20 league to start this season. It's a pretty good league and if he proves to be too good for the league, he can get a promotion to either Karpat, a Mestis club, or he can get loaned out to another Liiga team if Karpat is stacked (I don't think this is common, but it is an option). Options are much more limited in NA.

The Finnish development model has been producing some pretty good players lately so I wouldn't be in a hurry to disrupt that path.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad