Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I believe Pepsi is the traditional soda currency for bartering with Russia
I remember back when I was a teenager, a buddy of mine, his family were billets for the junior hockey team in our hometown for a couple seasons. One season they billeted this Russian kid and all he drank was Pepsi. Literally all day.

Reactions: DrinkFightFlyers

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Hockey Brothers are mostly former hockey players from top hockey schools, but who didn't have any professional contracts. While Michkov played for a pure amateur team with some Russian Nationals but from soccer (Shirokov, Arshavin, who once scored 4 goals for Arsenal vs Liverpool). They had another former hockey professionals like Anton Belov and Maxim Rybin but that's still wasn't enough to beat a team full of players who played in top Russian U18 leagues.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Btw SKA lost first two home games in 1/4 of the playoffs. It almost looks like they lack creativity in attack. People love to say that big, fast and tough players win playoffs, but who have been the most successful playoff players in the last 20 or so years in the NHL? Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Kucherov. Out of all of them only Malkin can be called big and fast, but nobody will call him tough...

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Rotenberg actually tried Michkov as a center while other coaches didn't so let him continue to work. Of course he sucks as a coach, but it's SKA's problem. And if he still doesn't play Michkov, I hope Matvei will get mad and go to NA...

I don’t really think it’s a matter of Michkov wanting to come over. I think he would be here already if that’s the case. He’s under contract, so there really isn’t anything anyone can do, unless he gets released.

Reactions: BernieParent

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t really think it’s a matter of Michkov wanting to come over. I think he would be here already if that’s the case. He’s under contract, so there really isn’t anything anyone can do, unless he gets released.
Or defects

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Maybe he also has a clause where they will terminate his contract if he decides he is ready. Who knows. Contracts don't seem so binding over there that I would assume he needs to play all 3 years there. Look at Fedotov. We all assumed there was no chance and yet here he is.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe he also has a clause where they will terminate his contract if he decides he is ready. Who knows. Contracts don't seem so binding over there that I would assume he needs to play all 3 years there. Look at Fedotov. We all assumed there was no chance and yet here he is.
It will likely be a similar situation to where Fedotov was allowed to join. We will get him at the end of the season to burn a year of the ELC as his contract is terminated before the technical end of the season.

Reactions: orangey

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Q: The No. 1 prospect in the system is Michkov. Is it a little hard to wait for him to come?​
A: For sure. We knew that going in, though. But where we picked and with his skill set, what he could bring to a franchise, it’s all worth the wait. When he does come, he’s NHL-ready; he’s probably pretty close to that right now. But he’s going to be stronger, he’s going to be faster. He’s going to be ready to step in and have an impact right away. So for fans that are probably losing patience, when he does get here it’ll be worth the wait.​
Q: Do you talk to him? Do you have a sense of where he’s at in his development and what his expectations are for the future?​
A:We obviously leave him alone for the most part during the season, but [director of player development] Riley Armstrong communicates with him via an app that translates back and forth. Obviously, it was a frustrating year playing on a team like that. But he’s played a lot. It was really frustrating because they don’t play young players on [SKA] St. Petersburg, it doesn’t matter how talented they are. So he got down to Sochi and at least he got to play a lot. He also had to battle pneumonia, but he played well and performed and did what he does. I think he’s anxious to get over here, eventually. It’s just, he’ll work on his game while he’s there.​

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

Q: The No. 1 prospect in the system is Michkov. Is it a little hard to wait for him to come?​
A: For sure. We knew that going in, though. But where we picked and with his skill set, what he could bring to a franchise, it’s all worth the wait. When he does come, he’s NHL-ready; he’s probably pretty close to that right now. But he’s going to be stronger, he’s going to be faster. He’s going to be ready to step in and have an impact right away. So for fans that are probably losing patience, when he does get here it’ll be worth the wait.​
Q: Do you talk to him? Do you have a sense of where he’s at in his development and what his expectations are for the future?​
A:We obviously leave him alone for the most part during the season, but [director of player development] Riley Armstrong communicates with him via an app that translates back and forth. Obviously, it was a frustrating year playing on a team like that. But he’s played a lot. It was really frustrating because they don’t play young players on [SKA] St. Petersburg, it doesn’t matter how talented they are. So he got down to Sochi and at least he got to play a lot. He also had to battle pneumonia, but he played well and performed and did what he does. I think he’s anxious to get over here, eventually. It’s just, he’ll work on his game while he’s there.​

The App strikes again!

Reactions: BernieParent

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Can see it now....U.S. water treatment plants nationwide sabatoged due to an exploit in a Russian translation app used by the Philadelphia Flyers ice hockey team. Comcast Corporation also hacked out of billions.....Flyers franchise to fold as a consequence.
On brand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad