Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Michkov's delayed arrival in Philly will be the biggest blessing in disguise this team can have. The team would be too good with michkov to miss the playoffs, so now we can continue to get some high end talent for a few years.
Im not sure why they couldnt just say "Hey we're going to suck until michkov comes, but 2026 is our target date for contention!" If they went all in on acquiring talent from the next three draft classes (each draft class now is better than they were before generally as the player pool increases each season) then theyd have monster players all on young ELC and still have great depth like they do right now!
This team really is only 3-4 players away from long term contention vs basement dwelling!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Michkov's delayed arrival in Philly will be the biggest blessing in disguise this team can have. The team would be too good with michkov to miss the playoffs, so now we can continue to get some high end talent for a few years.
Im not sure why they couldnt just say "Hey we're going to suck until michkov comes, but 2026 is our target date for contention!" If they went all in on acquiring talent from the next three draft classes (each draft class now is better than they were before generally as the player pool increases each season) then theyd have monster players all on young ELC and still have great depth like they do right now!
This team really is only 3-4 players away from long term contention vs basement dwelling!
They've been 3-4 players away since they got swept by the Red Wings in 1996.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Why are you sure players from 2024-2026 classes will hit their prime in the day Michkov arrives?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Looking at what Kucherov doing I think Michkov is pretty capable to do the same. They play pretty similar game, and as to tools and IQ Matvei is pretty close to Nikita if not better. Of course it will depend a lot on teammates and coaching.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I’m sure it’s been discussed - but is there an opportunity for the Flyers to call his team and come to a buyout agreement? Or is that something from like 10 years ago lol

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I’m sure it’s been discussed - but is there an opportunity for the Flyers to call his team and come to a buyout agreement? Or is that something from like 10 years ago lol
Seems unlikely. I believe Carolina tried to buy out Nikishin from SKA last year, so I doubt they're gonna budge on Michkov

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
Seems unlikely. I believe Carolina tried to buy out Nikishin from SKA last year, so I doubt they're gonna budge on Michkov
If they intend on not playing him much and lending him out all year it may be beneficial to them to take the buyout. I would assume they give him ice time this year and get there bang for there buck. If not what’s the point of holding him ransom without actually getting something for him.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
I do believe if he is treated like he was last year there might be some movement on his behalf to buyout the contract. Its a small chance and probably only really just water cooler talk.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Flyers obviously have a Soviet contact after getting the 2 goalies over.....
Michkov could be here too next season, that'll make a quick team even quicker
Atkinson, Staal most likely won't be back
If they can get Brink a half step faster, he sees the ice as well as any Flyer
Drysdale will be better and Risto will be back
Foerster and Tippett could score more next year
York, IMHO, will take a big an all around step up
was Farabee hurt the last 25/30 games ?, he kinda disappeared ?
keep Poehling, Seeler and Hathaway, never have enough speedsters who will play physical
Goaltending is sufficient
IMHO the immediate future looks positive and in the right direction 🧐
hopefully they move up in the Draft

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

If they intend on not playing him much and lending him out all year it may be beneficial to them to take the buyout. I would assume they give him ice time this year and get there bang for there buck. If not what’s the point of holding him ransom without actually getting something for him.

The NHL prohibits this. Bettman will not allow NHL-KHL team-to-team transfer buyouts.
Meanwhile the KHL welcomes these types of negotiations.

It's the reason there was no transfer agreement to begin with. Both leagues have different demands of what it should consist of.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Sorry but Michkov is not a fast player.
At least you wait more speed from under 5’11 player

Michkov is fast when it comes to thinking and moving the puck. Puck is faster than any player after all, ask Tampa or Minnestota fans about Kuch and Kap who aren't the fastest players either and are still two best wingers in the game.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This guy?

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 3.45.09 PM.png

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Michkov is not going to be some magic cure that is going to make this team as a whole light years better lol

The Caps were 29-41-12 in Ovechkin's first season. They got good when they added more good players. The Flyers aren't interested in doing that, though. They are certain Michkov is enough, and I am certain they'll blame him when he isn't.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
The Caps were 29-41-12 in Ovechkin's first season. They got good when they added more good players. The Flyers aren't interested in doing that, though. They are certain Michkov is enough, and I am certain they'll blame him when he isn't.

Just went to look at the Caps seasons for fun.

Since Ovechkin has been on the team - 18 years now - the Caps have 7 1st-round exits, and 4 playoff misses.

They have made it past the 2nd round ONCE. The year they won the Cup.

Took them 12 years with Ovi to do that.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just went to look at the Caps seasons for fun.

Since Ovechkin has been on the team - 18 years now - the Caps have 7 1st-round exits, and 4 playoff misses.

They have made it past the 2nd round ONCE. The year they won the Cup.

Took them 12 years with Ovi to do that.

Pretty normal really... even with superstars at the top.

They had 1C, 1D and star winger from:

2007-11:
Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green

2014-20:
Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson

So 11 seasons where roughly had a team that should contend if built well around and 1 cup.

7 years with a top ~8 team in the NHL gives a team around 50% chance of a cup over that time.

2007-08: 3rd in conference, 1st round exit.
2008-09: 2nd in conference, 2nd round exit.
2009-10: 1st in conference, 1st round exit.
2010-11: 1st in conference, 2nd round exit.

2014-15: 4th in conference, 2nd round exit.
2015-16: 1st in conference, 2nd round exit.
2016-17: 1st in conference, 2nd round exit.
2017-18: 3rd in conference, Stanley Cup Winners.
2018-19: 3rd in conference, 1st round exit.
2019-20: 3rd in conference, 1st round exit.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Michkov is fast when it comes to thinking and moving the puck. Puck is faster than any player after all, ask Tampa or Minnestota fans about Kuch and Kap who aren't the fastest players either and are still two best wingers in the game.
Another crying post from fan who found someone forgot to write “Michkov is the Savior”.

Almost every prospect has some flaws, and (which comes a some surprise for Michkov fan club) Matvei isn’t exception. I just noticed it

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Another crying post from fan who found someone forgot to write “Michkov is the Savior”.

Almost every prospect has some flaws, and (which comes a some surprise for Michkov fan club) Matvei isn’t exception. I just noticed it

Perhaps it semantics, but quickness is what really matters for smaller players. It's how one uses speed that's important, not the speed itself.

Because his edgework is so phenomenal it allows him to change direction without losing speed. It likewise allows him to change speed instantaneously. This is 10x the nightmare for defenseman to cover than some fast player relying on top speed to rush past you on the outside.

Michkov is amazingly quick, and will make a fast/quick team even more so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad