Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Can’t imagine how he must feel. So much talent being suppressed. Russians never understood creativity. Seen as individuality which was unacceptable.
Think you need to look , read and study Russian achievement in the arts, sciences and engineering a lot more. The book Natasha's Dance might be a good place to start.

I can't wait till this guy comes over, instantly buying a Michkov jersey lol
Definitely has the touch and style of Datsyuk at times. Will ve a joy to watch in the NHL. Just need Demudov drafted in Rd 1 this post season.

Reactions: MorgantiDrinksBlood

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Think you need to look , read and study Russian achievement in the arts, sciences and engineering a lot more. The book Natasha's Dance might be a good place to start.

Definitely has the touch and style of Datsyuk at times. Will ve a joy to watch in the NHL. Just need Demudov drafted in Rd 1 this post season.
Doubt we get him, but that would be amazing haha

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
He would instantly be the most skilled player on the roster and would have the best vision on the roster. I’d expect it would take him a half year or a year to adapt to the NA game and surpass TK’s on-ice impact, but I think he would be ready off the jump to vastly improve our powerplay (assuming Rocky doesn’t overrule him).
But he had to stay on the 4th line for multiple seasons, just like Couturier did

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Hypothetically speaking, could he sign an ATO and join the Phantoms this season once his KHL season is done?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hypothetically speaking, could he sign an ATO and join the Phantoms this season once his KHL season is done?

In theory yes.

But it never happens as the team in question have to agree to it... Paigin is the only guy I can remember from KHL getting an ATO, and I believe he was on an expiring KHL deal. Maybe there are more but not many.

A big part of the reason for this I guess is that EVEN if a KHL team thought a guy playing in AHL would be good for them? KHL camp starts in early July so teams would not let a player play in AHL when if make play-offs could be playing until potentially late June! More palatable for SHL, Liiga, NLA etc where pre-season camps starts 3-4 weeks later.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
KHL camp starts in early July so teams would not let a player play in AHL when if make play-offs could be playing until potentially late June!

No worries there, he'd be on the Phantoms. Tee time in late April!

I wonder how we get the tales of the Phantoms' atrociousness to become legendary in Russia for them to understand this to be true.

Goggles

Dec 20, 2022
Looks like Michkov stuck again with his favourite goal move in tight on the goalie. Slick hands.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
If my math is correct, he needs 3 points in the remaining 7 Sochi games to surpass Yakupov's D+1 PPG record.

Two points today (And counting) with one game to spare.

If my math is correct, we can add this season to his accolades. (Min 10 games for KHL/MHL/VHL)

Highest D+1 KHL PPG ever
Highest draft eligible KHL PPG ever
Highest draft eligible VHL PPG ever
Highest D-1 KHL PPG ever
Highest D-1 MHL PPG ever
Highest D-2 WJC-18 PPG ever

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

1708716429410.jpeg