Prospect Info: Round 1, 7th overall: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If you ain't cheating you ain't trying. :laugh:

1707524495820.png

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
I think the issue with gliding is linked to conditioning. When I say conditioning, I am not saying he doesn't work out or is lazy. Quite the opposite. Excluding his illness, I believe what caused his conditioning to lag is how he was working out. From last season to this season one thing is very apparently different. He is a whole lot stronger. After he hurt his knee last year, I would guess his workout plan shifted from more of an all around plan to heavily focused on strength to make sure he is not physically bullied at this level. Last season he was very easy to push off the puck so he stuck to the outside of the ice significantly more. Very much in contrast to that, this season he successfully goes toe to toe with guys physically behind the net using his body to protect and control the puck through contact. I have rarely seen him out muscled this season. The only time I can think of off the top my head was against CSKA and that D was like 6'4" minimum. Other than that he holds position in front and battles physically in the corners and behind the net. Quite the contrast and to me it can only be explained as heavy duty strength training. When Joel Farabee was younger he actually did something similar to prepare for the NHL.

After this season I would imagine his workout plan will shift again since he clearly strong enough. I would guess the new plan will have emphasis on increasing speed/conditioning
Good explanations. Thanks. I don't watch a ton of his games thanks for the insight.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Absolute humiliation in the 3rd, feel really bad for Berdin. But I guess the games against top teams show how atrocious Sochi team is.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Honest question. If in a fantasy world, Michkov joined the Flyers for their stretch/playoff run this year...what kind of an impact would he have? Is he good enough already to elevate the team?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Honest question. If in a fantasy world, Michkov joined the Flyers for their stretch/playoff run this year...what kind of an impact would he have? Is he good enough already to elevate the team?

100%. He would probably not be Konecny level... but right now I think he would probably be the second most impactful offensive forward on the roster and likely pace for 60+ in the NHL.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
He would instantly be the most skilled player on the roster and would have the best vision on the roster. I’d expect it would take him a half year or a year to adapt to the NA game and surpass TK’s on-ice impact, but I think he would be ready off the jump to vastly improve our powerplay (assuming Rocky doesn’t overrule him).

Reactions: Adam Warlock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad