Speculation: Roster Turnover

SI

Feb 16, 2013
With Kulemin's injury it allows us to possibly see how this team can line up next season -

27-91-12
?- 13-7
16-53-15
72-29-66

How about trading de Haan for E Kane? Or to the Red Wings for Athanasiou? How good with that Barzal line be those two -

Putting Ladd with 53/15 would be a strong checking line and top Def. F unit.

It allows DW to roll all 4 lines

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
With Kulemin's injury it allows us to possibly see how this team can line up next season -

27-91-12
?- 13-7
16-53-15
72-29-66

How about trading de Haan for E Kane? Or to the Red Wings for Athanasiou? How good with that Barzal line be those two -

Putting Ladd with 53/15 would be a strong checking line and top Def. F unit.

It allows DW to roll all 4 lines

Holy moly that 16-53-15 line would be playing with heavy pockets.

More like:
5.5mm - 3.35mm - 3.5mm

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Next to Boychuk they are the next 3 contracts that get the focus.

I actually don't mind the Cizikas contract at all. He is vital to this team in a checking role, energy role, faceoffs , and PK. He is also good for 25+ points a season.

Clutterbuck contract MAY hurt in year 3 of the deal, but buying out at that contract in year 4 or 5 wouldn't kill the team. His leadership, his grit, energy, PK, & toughness is key.

Ladd' contract is the one that is going to hurt in a year or two - my hope is by then the NMC turns into limited NTC and actual $ is much lower to the cap making him more attractive in a trade.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think we need to shore up the middle 6. Defensively, we are missing a number 1..Dahlin would be awesome to have so my idea is to trade up for him using what we have and we have enough currency.

That and I want to see if we can land Reinhart from Buffalo as they are looking for a shakeup and while it isn't a guarantee, the buffalo board makes it sounds like he could be had.

I believe we resign Hickey 1.5-2 mill and give Seidenberg the opportunity to sign elsewhere..should he not find a team, the Isles sign him to league minimum and he takes a Gionta-like role...depth and AHL help

CDH....the bridge is burned...I do not see him coming back...he might even get traded at the TDL

Kool lemon will not be on the team...we have enough to replace him or he resigns to a similar Gionta-style contract, however, Kool Lemon is still NHL capable, especially on the PK...I see at least 10 teams that would want to use him. We could still use him, but we need spots for younger players.

I cannot see us sign Halak...or Halak wanting to resign with us...we seriously mishandled him and pissed him off with the stupid 3-goalie situation..sorry, if that happened to me, I'd finish my contract and hit the road.

As for Chimera...IF he has another 20-ish goal season, I would sign him to a 1-year contract..we could use his speed and we need someone with experience that can still play the game and keep pace.

The biggest question mark will be what to do with Bailey...are we going to keep him just because we have chemistry with JT? Well, news flash...many players have chemistry with JT and we traded them! Moulson is gone, KO is gone....Bailey will also be gone...hopefully we get something for him.

Even after all this, I don't see us have that much room..maybe for one more significant player...

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I really would love to find a way to get Andreas Athanasiou from the Red Wings. I'd trade CDH for him, but only if we can get a defenseman in another trade, maybe for Brock. I'd make these moves at the deadline:

deHaan for Athanasiou
Nelson, CGY 2nd for Alec Martinez

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle
Beauvillier-Athanasiou-Ho-Sang
Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Kulemin, Quine

Leddy-Boychuk
Martinez-Mayfield
Pelech-Pulock
Hickey, Seidenberg

Greiss
Halak

Maybe move Kulemin too in one of these deals or waive Quine. We look like a much better team this way.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I think we need to shore up the middle 6. Defensively, we are missing a number 1..Dahlin would be awesome to have so my idea is to trade up for him using what we have and we have enough currency.

That and I want to see if we can land Reinhart from Buffalo as they are looking for a shakeup and while it isn't a guarantee, the buffalo board makes it sounds like he could be had.

I believe we resign Hickey 1.5-2 mill and give Seidenberg the opportunity to sign elsewhere..should he not find a team, the Isles sign him to league minimum and he takes a Gionta-like role...depth and AHL help

CDH....the bridge is burned...I do not see him coming back...he might even get traded at the TDL

Kool lemon will not be on the team...we have enough to replace him or he resigns to a similar Gionta-style contract, however, Kool Lemon is still NHL capable, especially on the PK...I see at least 10 teams that would want to use him. We could still use him, but we need spots for younger players.

I cannot see us sign Halak...or Halak wanting to resign with us...we seriously mishandled him and pissed him off with the stupid 3-goalie situation..sorry, if that happened to me, I'd finish my contract and hit the road.

As for Chimera...IF he has another 20-ish goal season, I would sign him to a 1-year contract..we could use his speed and we need someone with experience that can still play the game and keep pace.

The biggest question mark will be what to do with Bailey...are we going to keep him just because we have chemistry with JT? Well, news flash...many players have chemistry with JT and we traded them! Moulson is gone, KO is gone....Bailey will also be gone...hopefully we get something for him.

Even after all this, I don't see us have that much room..maybe for one more significant player...

Don't agree. Not sure how many teams will jump to give Halak a starting job or even a 1B.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a team friendly 1 or 2 year deal

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
LOL why are they still saying upper body when he's done for the year? May as well just disclose the injury

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Oh man that's rough, he's probably played his last game as an Islander. We're really going to miss him defensively this year, wonder if Garth is motivated to make a trade for a bottom-6 PKer now. With Chimera & Clutterbuck both looking meh on the year, someone's going to have to step up.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I really would love to find a way to get Andreas Athanasiou from the Red Wings. I'd trade CDH for him, but only if we can get a defenseman in another trade, maybe for Brock. I'd make these moves at the deadline:

deHaan for Athanasiou

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle
Kulemin, Quine

Leddy-Boychuk
Martinez-Mayfield
Pelech-Pulock
Hickey, Seidenberg

Greiss
Halak

Maybe move Kulemin too in one of these deals or waive Quine. We look like a much better team this way.

I don't believe Athanasiou has played a game at center in his entire pro career.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
extend beau, lee, pulock, and eberle and offer nelson a contract if it's reasonable. re-sign bailey and blast kulemin and chimera back to the stone age.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

deHaan for Athanasiou

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle
Kulemin, Quine

Leddy-Boychuk
Martinez-Mayfield
Pelech-Pulock
Hickey, Seidenberg

Greiss
Halak

Big, big Athanasiou fan. Always dreamt of snagging him for something.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Let's start with the obvious...... Sign Tavares at all costs! Kulimen, Chimera, Seidenberg and Halak are all taking the fast train out of town. Now, the more difficult ones...... Let Bailey walk. It's very difficult to do after the year he's having but he will be looking for a long term and will be overpaid based on this year's performance. We also have Ho-Sang, Beauvillier and Bellows all waiting offensively in the wings (yes, I left out Dal Colle). You have to assume one of de Haan or Hickey will be gone. I keep either one based on the better value of the contract offers (with a preference towards CDH if it makes sense) and ride the Pelech, Mayfield, Pulock, Toews, Aho train for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure how RFA's work but I think we have enough of a sampling to know that Nelson is on the soft side and his current offensive production can be replaced with a free agent signing at a sensible price. Extend Lee and Pulock and call it a day.

At the end of this season we're going to have the greatest amount of turnover we've seen in awhile. We have 2.6 million in cap space as of today. Who should we sign/trade/let go? What should we sign them for? I'll keep this post updated as the season goes along and players sign or get traded.

UFAs
Tavares 5.5 AAV
Bailey 3.3 AAV
Kulimen 4.2 AAV
Chimera 2.25 AAV
de Haan 3.3 AAV
Hickey 2.2 AAV
Seidenberg 1.25 AAV
Halak 4.5 AAV

RFAs (Arbitration Eligible)
Nelson 2.5 AAV
Prince 850k AAV
Quine 612k AAV
Mayfield 863k AAV

RFAs
Pulock 863k AAV

Eligible for Extention July 1st (2 seasons remaining: '17-'18, '18-'19)
Lee (UFA) 3.75 AAV
Beauvillier (RFA) 894k AAV
Eberle (UFA) 6m AAV

Cap remaining: 2.6

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Clutterbuck make 5 million this year and 4 million next year in real money. He has a 3.5 million dollar cap hit. The Clutterbuck contract could be the one the sends Bailey packing.

Unfortunately Clutter has negative value and would easily pass through waivers. Dal Bust and Clutterbuck to Arizona for a hot dog is an offer I make as Snow.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Ho-Sang, Beauvillier, & Dal Colle need to step up by the end of the season to make me think twice about not resigning Bailey. I think I would go as high as 5-5.25m a year.
It might mean Eberle walks at the end of his contract, but that is another season for the pups (66,72, and Bellows/Dal colle) to be ready. Bailey has yet to turn 28. Isles will also be able to extend Lee - my guess another 5 year deal at above 5.5m.

Nelson is an RFA, so you can sign him on a 1 year or 2 year deal that gets him to UFA - if the team doesn't want to commit long term - feels like 4-5m range for him.

I can see Kulemin resigning with Isles on a 1 y/1m maybe 1.5 to fill out that checking line. Not sure what his market will be, but my guess is he loves it on the island like most.

De Haan has certainly priced himself off the team - if a d man becomes available that would be an upgrade over 44 at the deadline - say someone like Tanev. I would flip those assets to land Tanev.

Otherwise, keep 44 all season to make a run and let him walk in the offseason- you have enough depth at that position.

Isles1966

Oct 14, 2017
Clutterbuck make 5 million this year and 4 million next year in real money. He has a 3.5 million dollar cap hit. The Clutterbuck contract could be the one the sends Bailey packing.

Unfortunately Clutter has negative value and would easily pass through waivers. Dal Bust and Clutterbuck to Arizona for a hot dog is an offer I make as Snow.

Isles1966

Oct 14, 2017

If your going to trade clutter a guy I would look for in return would be Richardson. He is very good at face offs and can kill penalties. I would go after him anyway at deadline. Clutter may be of interest to Arizona for his veteran leadership.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

The real money shouldn't affect us as Ledecky has no problem with real salary. Actually helps us because in year 3,4,5 we can unload him easier. Suppose we wanted to unload Kulemin pre injury, 4.1 cap hit and 5.25 I think in salary. That's hard to trade.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If your going to trade clutter a guy I would look for in return would be Richardson. He is very good at face offs and can kill penalties. I would go after him anyway at deadline. Clutter may be of interest to Arizona for his veteran leadership.

Arizona likes cheap guys.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
While JT is going to get a blank check, it's hard to justify paying him anything close to McDavid's money. Nevertheless, let's assume – for the sake of discussion – he gets 12.5M.

In the same theoretical approach, let's overpay Bailey and give him 5.5M.

Mayfield and Pulock at this point in time are worth no more than Pelech: let's say 3M together.

A backup shouldn't cost more than 2-2.5M.

That adds up to something around 10-11M to sign/replace/upgrade Nelson, Quine, Prince, de Haan, and Hickey.

It's doable, at least in principle.

However, given Lee extension (and he will command Bailey's money), the task of signing/replacing Eberle, and having some space for taking a shot at UFA market (Doughty, Karlsson), – one of Ladd or Clutterbuck or both must be shipped somewhere else within next 2 years.

It would be nice also to keep JT+Bailey below 16M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad