Speculation: Roster Turnover

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
At the end of this season we're going to have the greatest amount of turnover we've seen in awhile. We have 2.6 million in cap space as of today. Who should we sign/trade/let go? What should we sign them for? I'll keep this post updated as the season goes along and players sign or get traded.

UFAs
Tavares 5.5 AAV
Bailey 3.3 AAV
Kulimen 4.2 AAV
Chimera 2.25 AAV
de Haan 3.3 AAV
Hickey 2.2 AAV
Seidenberg 1.25 AAV
Halak 4.5 AAV

RFAs (Arbitration Eligible)
Nelson 2.5 AAV
Prince 850k AAV
Quine 612k AAV
Mayfield 863k AAV

RFAs
Pulock 863k AAV

Eligible for Extention July 1st (2 seasons remaining: '17-'18, '18-'19)
Lee (UFA) 3.75 AAV
Beauvillier (RFA) 894k AAV
Eberle (UFA) 6m AAV

Cap remaining: 2.6

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
At the end of this season we're going to have the greatest amount of turnover we've seen in awhile. We have 2.6 million in cap space as of today. Who should we sign/trade/let go? What should we sign them for? I'll keep this post updated as the season goes along and players sign or get traded.

UFAs
Tavares 5.5 AAV
Bailey 3.3 AAV
Kulimen 4.2 AAV
Chimera 2.25 AAV
de Haan 3.3 AAV
Hickey 2.2 AAV
Seidenberg 1.25 AAV
Halak 4.5 AAV

Nelson 2.5 AAV
Prince 850k AAV
Quine 612k AAV
Mayfield 863k AAV

RFAs
Pulock 863k AAV

Eligible for Extention July 1st:
Lee (UFA) 3.75 AAV
Eberle (UFA) 6m AAV
First off we extend all 3 eligible for extension. Then we chuck Kulemin, Chimera, Hickey, Seidenberg, Prince and Quine.

Halak is an interesting case. If it looks like Soderstrom will be here next season I'll let Jaro walk since Greiss is still signed. However I would try to get Halak again on a short term deal if he's willing to accept it if we have no other option.

deHaan has to be traded. I believe he is looking for a richer contract than I'd be willing to pay him. I'd listen to offers on Nelson also.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Is the $2.6M number including the salary relief we got for shedding Grabbo? I figured we'd have a little bit more cap room than that? Did the Eberle acquisition eat up all of that space?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Is the $2.6M number including the salary relief we got for shedding Grabbo? I figured we'd have a little bit more cap room than that? Did the Eberle acquisition eat up all of that space?

Yes. Grabo had a 5m AAV.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
First off we extend all 3 eligible for extension. Then we chuck Kulemin, Chimera, Hickey, Seidenberg, Prince and Quine.

The extensions won't affect next season, just the season following that. But, they obviously have to be planned for accordingly moving forward.

It's gonna be a bit tight. You can lose those players, but they'll have to be replaced. Even if you find a bunch of cheap players, you're not gaining a ton of space, since only Kulemin and Halak make more than league average. Plus, you're ostensibly adding $5m to Tavares, $1.75m to Bailey, $1.75 to Nelson, and maybe $.5-$1m each to Mayfield and Pulock. Certainly, I don't see a ton of room to add anything of significance to make the team better.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
The extensions won't affect next season, just the season following that. But, they obviously have to be planned for accordingly moving forward.

It's gonna be a bit tight. You can lose those players, but they'll have to be replaced. Even if you find a bunch of cheap players, you're not gaining a ton of space, since only Kulemin and Halak make more than league average. Plus, you're ostensibly adding $5m to Tavares, $1.75m to Bailey, $1.75 to Nelson, and maybe $.5-$1m each to Mayfield and Pulock. Certainly, I don't see a ton of room to add anything of significance to make the team better.

Good thing clutterbuck and Ladd eat up 9 mil a year :(

Reactions: Svengoolie

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I know a lot of people might want to trade away some draft picks at the deadline if the team is still rolling, but we're going to need a pipeline of young cost-controlled talent available with our cap situation unless the NHL raises the cap.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Some of the decisions are no-brainers to re-sign and let go. Others it's maybe too early to decide IMO. For example, the de Haan/Hickey decisions will depend on how some of the kids progress this year. I know Hickey is not everyone's favorite, but if he's willing to sign for about the same salary he's making now he's a pretty cheap and versatile guy to have around. And if it will take a 6 year $5 million a year contract to sign de Haan, get back to me in 6 or 7 months.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
For UFAs, you focus on JT and Bailey while qualifying the RFAs. Play hardball with the RFAs during the summer to keep the budget as balanced as possible. Ultimately you'd like to minimize the turnover to Kulemin, Chimera, CdH, Hickey, Halak...

I see a guy like Mike Green being on that UFA list after the trade deadline as well. Trade the 2x 2018 2nd rounders along with Seidenberg to improve the blueline for the playoffs. The question would then be, if acquired, would we extend him.

In a fantasy world I'd love to walk into the draft having won the lottery with Calgary's pick to grab Dahlin. At that point I'd be looking to move either the NYI 1st or the 2019 1st for a young goalie who is close to prime age years ready for a #1 role, a la Cam Talbot. I'm thinking Petr Mrazek in particular.

On mobile and haven't worked out the salary, but the dream would be to ice the following next season:

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle
Nelson-Beau-Ho-Sang
Quine-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Leddy-Boychuk
Pelech-Green
Dahlin-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield

Mrazek
Greiss

Soderstrom, Aho, Bellows, MDC, etc. In the AHL... that would be a team competing for the Cup over the next several years.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I know a lot of people might want to trade away some draft picks at the deadline if the team is still rolling, but we're going to need a pipeline of young cost-controlled talent available with our cap situation unless the NHL raises the cap.

Plus, sure you might want to chuck the likes of Quine and Prince... but, you ain't finding anyone cheaper than that for what they bring. Might as well keep them, even if you have to kick them an extra $.3m each.

Reactions: mm11

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Calgary has 12 points. I can't seem them falling all the way to the bottom this season, unless we just get really lucky with the lottery like Philly and NJ did.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Calgary has 12 points. I can't seem them falling all the way to the bottom this season, unless we just get really lucky with the lottery like Philly and NJ did.
I can't see them at the bottom either, but that's the dream -- to be as lucky as Philly and NJ. If you run through enough simulations on those draft lottery sites, you come to the realization that it isn't as much of a guarantee to get the 1st pick if you finish in the bottom 3 anymore. Every lottery team has a shot nowadays.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

UFAs
Tavares 5.5 AAV
Bailey 3.3 AAV
Kulimen 4.2 AAV
Chimera 2.25 AAV
de Haan 3.3 AAV
Hickey 2.2 AAV
Seidenberg 1.25 AAV
Halak 4.5 AAV

Nelson 2.5 AAV
Prince 850k AAV
Quine 612k AAV
Mayfield 863k AAV

RFAs
Pulock 863k AAV

Lee (UFA) 3.75 AAV
Eberle (UFA) 6m AAV

I'm interested in letting Hickey, Seidenberg, Kulimen, and Chimera walk. Depending on how the kids are playing at the deadline, Seidenberg could be traded or Kulemin. I don't think the team will be looking to dump guys off though. They'll want to make a run and having depth is more valuable than the pick at the moment. However, they could be packaged in a deal to get a bigger name possibly as a cap dump.

Bailey is interested, but I ultimately think he'll cost too much. Wouldn't mind him re-signing or not. Either way is fine to me. Bailey is worth ~$5 million per.

I'd like Halak to stay. I think he's better than Greiss and can carry a larger work load, but I think that bridge has been burned and Halak will be moving on again.

Nelson is fine to extend, unless packaged for a great piece that makes the most sense. 20 goal scorers don't grow on trees and he's very consistent in that regard. Prince can walk, as can Quine. Mayfield can stay but is also eligible to be traded. Same with Pulock.

I'd extend Lee and Beauvillier ASAP, and I'd let Eberle play into his final season. There's no rush to lock up Eberle unless he'll take less than what he's making now. Otherwise, see how the team develops and how well he fits in here over the course of a full season.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I'd like to see Clutterbuck packaged in with any trade we make, even if it means we get little in return. The money him and Ladd make is going to kill us.

Reactions: periferal

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Re-sign all the RFA'S and say goodbye to all the UFA's except JT, Bailey and CDH.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'd like to see Clutterbuck packaged in with any trade we make, even if it means we get little in return. The money him and Ladd make is going to kill us.
Re-sign all the RFA'S and say goodbye to all the UFA's except JT, Bailey and CDH.

At this point CDH is a maybe. You want to give 4+ million for 5 or more years to a guy playing the way he is?

Reactions: Eberzal

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
UFAs
Tavares 5.5 AAV - 11M
Bailey 3.3 AAV - 5M
Kulimen 4.2 AAV - Pass
Chimera 2.25 AAV - Pass
de Haan 3.3 AAV - 4.5M
Hickey 2.2 AAV - Pass
Seidenberg 1.25 AAV - Pass
Halak 4.5 AAV - 2M or Pass

Nelson 2.5 AAV - 3.5M
Prince 850k AAV -1M
Quine 612k AAV - 850k
Mayfield 863k AAV - 1.5M

according to capfriendly islanders will have 34.7M in cap space to sign these guys

That totals 29.3M (with Halak), leaving us with about 5.4 Million to round out the roster.

not sure what else would have to be done, but seems doable

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
UFAs
Tavares 5.5 AAV - 11M
Bailey 3.3 AAV - 5M
de Haan 3.3 AAV - 4.5M

UFAs
Tavares 5.5 AAV - 11M
Bailey 3.3 AAV - 5M
Kulimen 4.2 AAV - Pass
Chimera 2.25 AAV - Pass
de Haan 3.3 AAV - 4.5M
Hickey 2.2 AAV - Pass
Seidenberg 1.25 AAV - Pass
Halak 4.5 AAV - 2M or Pass

Nelson 2.5 AAV - 3.5M
Prince 850k AAV -1M
Quine 612k AAV - 850k
Mayfield 863k AAV - 1.5M

according to capfriendly islanders will have 34.7M in cap space to sign these guys

That totals 29.3M (with Halak), leaving us with about 5.4 Million to round out the roster.

not sure what else would have to be done, but seems doable

You are forgetting about Pulock, i think the isles let Cdh walk because i think you are looking at 5-6 million which i don't see them paying. Hopefully we can resign bailey at just 5 but if he puts up 60+ points who knows. Nelson is also going to want more and maybe they trade him or give him like 3.5 but only for one year but luckily they can see how every thing plays out before they make that decision. They will definitely keep mayfield maybe give him a similar deal to pelech. If they let cdh walk they may resign hickey and would anyone really be shocked if they gave kuliman say 2 million.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Plus, sure you might want to chuck the likes of Quine and Prince... but, you ain't finding anyone cheaper than that for what they bring. Might as well keep them, even if you have to kick them an extra $.3m each.

Yes I agree, They are NHL players that are needed for depth..Atleast we know what we have instead of rolling the dice on other guys....

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
UFAs
Tavares 5.5 AAV - Sign
Bailey 3.3 AAV - Sign
Kulimen 4.2 AAV - Walk or sign for under 2mil
Chimera 2.25 AAV - Walk
de Haan 3.3 AAV - Prefer to sign but no more then 4mil
Hickey 2.2 AAV - Walk if CDH signs
Seidenberg 1.25 AAV - Walk
Halak 4.5 AAV - 1 yr deal is Soderstrom/Sorokin stay over seas

Nelson 2.5 AAV - Sign
Prince 850k AAV - Walk
Quine 612k AAV - Sign
Mayfield 863k AAV - Sign

RFAs
Pulock 863k AAV - Sign

Lee (UFA) 3.75 AAV - Sign
Beauvillier (RFA) 894k AAV - Sign
Eberle (UFA) 6m AAV - Sign

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
At this point CDH is a maybe. You want to give 4+ million for 5 or more years to a guy playing the way he is?
CdH should be a hell no. You don't tie up precious cap dollars on a #4/5 defensive defenseman who has one good year on his resume. Those contracts don't age well and with the amount of young D we have in the pipeline, that money should be allocated somewhere else. Put an ELC with some real offensive potential in his spot.

Anyone willing to give CdH an extension at this point is out of their minds. He is awful.

Reactions: Eberzal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad