WC: Roster Talk '12 — Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Let's just say with the Olympics two years away, Yzerman back on Team Canada and a few statements about participating last year. I predict people who want to represent Canada in 2014 will join, instead of skip.

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
We are now under 10 games left for everyone and can predict more teams that are out especially in the east. I am just going to post a possible pool of players

Columbus: Rick Nash, Ryan Johansen, Marc Methot
Edmonton: Devan Dubnyk, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall (if healthy), Theo Peckham, Ryan Smyth
Minnesota: Pierre Marc Bouchard, Dany Heatley, Devin Setoguchi, Josh Harding, Kurtis Foster
Anaheim: Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Devante Smith-Pelley, Andrew Cogliano
Montreal: Rene Bourque, Chris Campoli, David Desharnais, Josh Gorges, Carey Price, P.K Subban
New York Islanders: John Tavares, Matt Moulson, Josh Bailey, Travis Hamonic, P.A.Parenteau
Toronto: Luke Schenn, Dion Phaneuf, Clarke McCarthur
Carolina: Cam Ward, Eric Staal, Brandon Sutter, Jeff Skinner, Derek Joslin
The teams listed above are not going to make the playoffs. I am not going to bother listing guys off teams still in the race. With the pool of players listed here would be first calls made before knowing what other players would be available.
G Cam Ward
G Carey Price
D Dion Phaneuf
D P. K Subban
F Eric Staal
F Jeff Skinner
F Brandon Sutter
F John Tavares
F Matt Moulson
F Ryan Getzlaf
F Corey Perry
F Rick Nash
F Jordan Eberle
F Ryan Nugent Hopkins
F Taylor Hall ( if healthy)
F Dany Heatley

Up front Canada should not be too bad, the goalies could be strong if we get the top two available. The D needs a lot of work.

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
Why do you want Dany Heatley? He would bring nothing.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but Mr Dany Heatley is one of Hockey Canada loyal soldiers when it comes to the World's, if he wants to go he will be on the team. He is a two time gold medalist at the World's and Canada's all time leading scorer at the event.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
As they were discussing on TSN last night, you can comfortably say that Winnipeg isn't going to make the playoffs, as they are 6 points back, but realistically they are even more as Washington and Buffalo have a game tonight (?).

I would also say that Tampa is pretty comfortably out. Those two teams opens up more forward sports, but nothing really for defense which is what the team lacks.

Hopefully Stamkos and St. Louis go from Tampa, and Kane goes from the Jets.

J Murda

Oct 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I can't see this happening this year because Canada looks like they could be quite stacked, but they have been known to add a player to the roster who has played the season in Europe. I'm wondering who that would be this year if they were to stick to that tradition....I can't really think of anybody.

It should be a pretty exciting tournament this year as long as a bunch of those guys don't bail. I would love to see Mark Giordano on the team as well unless the Flames weasel their way into the playoffs.

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
With the standings the way they are we can add Tampa and Winnipeg guys.

Tampa: Steven Stamkos, Teddy Purcell, Vincent Lecavalier, Keith Aulie, Brett Connolly, Eric Brewer, Martin St. Louis
Winnipeg: Grant Clitsome, Evander Kane, Andrew Ladd, Bryan Little, Chris Mason.

From these guys I would only call two right away
F Steven Stamkos
F Evander Kane

Also with the announcement of Taylor Hall being out for 5months he won't be going to the worlds, so cross him off the list.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
With the standings the way they are we can add Tampa and Winnipeg guys.

Tampa: Steven Stamkos, Teddy Purcell, Vincent Lecavalier, Keith Aulie, Brett Connolly, Eric Brewer, Martin St. Louis
Winnipeg: Grant Clitsome, Evander Kane, Andrew Ladd, Bryan Little, Chris Mason.

From these guys I would only call two right away
F Steven Stamkos
F Evander Kane

Also with the announcement of Taylor Hall being out for 5months he won't be going to the worlds, so cross him off the list.

I would also add Ladd, he can be and has played a solid 4th line type role for Team Canada at the worlds.

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
No way Peckham is on the team, but Nick Schultz might make it. He has looked good for the Oilers since being traded.

Never said Peckham would be on the team just as an option. He is obviously a guy we only call if 10-15 d turn it down.

Schultz is an interesting option, I forgot to add him to the Edmonton list along with Cam Barker.

Hopefully the guys we are talking about are last resort guys, let's hope for a few teams with some d to miss the playoffs.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Honestly don't think the Avs are going to make it.
Can add Duchene, Downie, Ryan O'Reilly, McGinn, Jones, O'Brien, O'Bryne, Wilson to the player pool.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Honestly don't think the Avs are going to make it.
Can add Duchene, Downie, Ryan O'Reilly, McGinn, Jones, O'Brien, O'Bryne, Wilson to the player pool.

I don't know about adding Duchene again. I think there is better talent out there right now, and from what I've heard he's been injured this year. I know he looked absolutely lost last year at the WC's.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I don't know about adding Duchene again. I think there is better talent out there right now, and from what I've heard he's been injured this year. I know he looked absolutely lost last year at the WC's.

Duchene was hurt last year when they took him...

Face it guys, they will pick a young team again.

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
We already had the Jets on the list and they can now be officially added to the player pool.

Calgary is now eliminated adding these guys to the pool
Jarome Iginla, Jay Bouwmeester, TJ Brodie, Mike Cammalleri, Mark Giordano, Curtis Glencross, Scott Hannan, Matt Stajan, Blake Comeau, Blair Jones, Corey Sarich, Derek Smith, Alex Tanguay

The guys I would call right away are
F Curtis Glencross
D Mark Giordano
D Jay Bouwmeester

Older guys like Iginla I doubt will go.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
I can't see players that said no last year go this this year.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I can't see players that said no last year go this this year.

Disagree. Kevin Lowe has made it clear that a 7th place finish isnt acceptable again. In order to guarnatee tha doesnt happen again we cant have a good bulk of our guys being teenagers as we have had in the past 2 years.

Getzlaf needs to salvage this season with something because he is rapidly playing himself out of contention for a spot in Sochi.
PK Subban needs to show he has the maturity on big ice to be able to hack it.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Well I suppose a starting line of Perry - Getzlaf - Stamkos isn't a terrible starting line. If we follow up with Eberle - RNH - Tavares we should at least have some firepower.

:sarcasm:

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Tried to give it a shot?

Perry-Getzlaf-XXX (One of the Vets?)
Eberle-Stamkos-RNH
Kane-Tavares-Skinner
Ladd-O'Reilly-Glencross

Bouwmeester-Subban
Phaneuf-Gorges
O'Byrne-Giordano

Ward
Dubnyk

Depending on who's available (Staal/St.Louis/Iggy/Heatley/Nash) I think they'll stick with the young guns. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Moulson-Tavares-Parenteau line up out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad