WC: Roster Talk '12 — Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mara

May 10, 2011
It's sad that World Championship's at the same time as the playoff's. Imagine if the NHL season was over. Would be so much better. :cry:

Yeah.. Would be better for all if the NHL started a bit earlier. But it doesn't really matter to me, it's a great annual tradition and a chance to see the best players in Europe in action with added NHL flavor.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

More of a WJR's comment but...

I was off today and decided to go for a walk. On my way a little old man was shuffling my way (ala Tim Conway) wearing a Phoenix Coyote's hat. When he was about 10 feet away I asked "Do you think your team will stay in Phoenix?".

He smiled and said he was Mark Visentin's grandfather. I laughed and we talked about the WJR's for about 10 minutes...

He said that while Mark was VERY disappointed that he didn't start against Russia, he was glad his grandson did not. He said he did not want to see his grandson go thru what he had gone thru the previous year if Canada lost.

He was sooooooo happy his grandson shut out the Fins and won Bronze.

After our conversation I felt very bad about some of the things I had written regarding MV. I also felt bad about the amount of pressure we put on the kids.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Hockey Canada has certainly used this tournament as a springboard for younger players to jump into best on best competition. However, I would love to see some of the older guys get involved. Witha WC win Getzlaf and Perry would both join the triple gold club. Is that enough to get them to Sweden???

Perry played even in 2010 (olympic season). I think he will play if healthy.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Nash - Carter - Tavares
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Skinner - Getzlaf - Perry
Jones - Sutter - Downie

Beauchemin - Myers
Gorges - Subban
MacDonald - Hamonic

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Team Canada

Nash-Stamkos- Perry
Kane-Getzlaf-Tavares
Hall- Nugent Hopkins- Eberle
Lupul-Duchane- Skinner

13th forward: Smith pelly

Tyler Myers- Luke Schenn
Phaneuf- Shea Weber
P.K. Subban- Simone Depres

7th D: Travis Hamonic

Price
Ward
Fluery

And that's my team. i based it off standings and assuming that Pittsburgh and Nashville don't make the second round of the playoffs.

RealHartTrophy01*

It's sad that World Championship's at the same time as the playoff's. Imagine if the NHL season was over. Would be so much better. :cry:

Countries can still add players to the Roster at the World Championships when the NHL Playoffs are to Begin the Conference Finals (at least is was in 2011).

So when you usually have 4-7 teams left in the Playoffs, out of a total 30 NHL teams?? Canada can't put together a good team?
That's 77%-87% of Teams out of the playoffs (Of which Canadians make about over 50% of the NHL), and you're still going to ride the playoffs excuse? LOL

I hope more Canadian players say yes. Last year was an embarrassment.

Team Canada's Roster from 2011 included:

F: Rick Nash, James Neal, Jason Spezza, Jordan Eberle, Matt Duchene,
Evander Kane, John Tavares, Travis Zajac

D: Dion Phaneuf, Brent Burns and G:James Reimer

Still a pretty good Team ;) But with 80% of NHL teams out of the Playoffs, Canada can't have a legitimate reason for not showing up.

Also, just because you have Elite players on "Small Ice" in the NHL, doesn't mean they can play "Big Ice" International Hockey on the World stage at an Elite Level.

And didn't Canada have Steven Stamkos in 2009 and 2010? and Crosby in '06? Shea Weber, Brodeur, Healthy, St.Louis, Toews, Perry, etc,etc. "Best on Best" is really all perception, in most cases. You could make a case for everything, literally. Go check the Rosters for the WC's for Team Canada between 2005-11 and look at all the players on there. Pretty Exceptional Variety. That's what's amazing.

Side Note: Just for thought....

Slovakia has like 1.5 worth (Teams) of Elite Talent.

At the 2011 WC's last year they had the whole Olympic Team from 2010 (except Chara and 1 other guy) That's it though, everyone showed up (Because it was being hosted by Slovakia) and they got Destroyed on Big Ice. Germany even beat the Olympic Slovakian Team. Germany!?!!

That Speaks Volumes considering they came 4th in the 2010 Olympics on "Small Ice" and going into Overtime with Canada in the Semifinals with the Same team minus Chara.

Last edited by a moderator:

chisholm20

Mar 26, 2011
You make a few good points, and I'm sure your numbers are accurate. The issue here however, is that after the grind of the playoffs, not to mention a full NHL season many Canadian players don't feel like hopping on a transatlantic flight to Europe to play in what many people in North America and beyond feel is a second rate tournament.

I love the World Championships, love the big ice (still wouldn't change nhl ice though) love seeing european talent I haven't seen before, and I love watching Canadian players get to put on that team Canada jersey that would never have the chance to at a best on best tournament. I just wish more people in Canada took an interest.

Last edited:

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
What hurts Canada the most is players who are available deciding not to play. I bet we could field a gold medal contending team if all the available players were willing to come.

You can field a contending team regardless. You're Canada, the deepest country in the world, the one who's B-team is better than anyone else's A-team, etc.

Not having one's best hurts all the other countries, none of which aren't as deep. Canada's best say no and you can still field a respectable squad. The USA's best say no and we're stuck with Ty Conklin in goal and guys like Taylor Chorney, Tim Stapleton, and Clay Wilson.

sal00

Jul 5, 2011
Projected 2012 IIHF World Championship Rosters

It would not be as exciting as in comparison to the projected 2014 Olympics rosters, but based on how teams in the NHL stand right now, how could the IIHF roster for the hockey superpowers look like by May?

Seems that players like Stamkos, St Louis, Eberle, Hall, Nash, Parenteau, Tavares will be available.

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
The world championships are 2 months away, and almost all of the teams in the NHL are still fighting for playoff spots.

I don't know why you would make this thread at this time.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Czechs and Russia always have good teams, Sweden and Finland should bring above average teams due to hosting, USA wants to make amends from last year, Canada has a possibility to bring a monster team. Should be a GREAT tournament this year.

I'm not sure USA cares how they did last year or how they'll do this year. Our best always say no, and unlike Canada we don't have the depth to cover for that. We'll turn in another disappointing performance with low-level NHL players, as always.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Woooo!!! Its that time of year!

Right now the player list that will be considered first will be:

Forwards:
RNH
Hall
Eberle
Tavares
Perry
Getzlaf
Stamkos
Staal
Skinner
Nash

Defense:
Subban
Hamonic
Giordano
Bouwmeester

There are a lot of guys that are obviously still competing for the playoffs. Its unlikely that as of now anyone at Calgary or below will be able to make a push in the West, which opens up Calgary, Minnesota, Anaheim, Edmonton, and Columbus. On the East, right now Islanders and below, which includes Carolina, Islanders, and Montreal.

I wouldn't really expect Getz or Perry to go, but they are a maybe, same with Nash. The advantage we have this year is the pressure Nicholson will be putting on the players, there are major Olympic implications. Getz and Perry have some bad years to make up for, same with Staal.

Defense is really thin right now, but as more teams drop off, more good players will become available. Could get Doughty, Wideman, Alzner, Myers, Phaneuf, and some others. We really are losing more defenseman than anything to the playoffs. No Petro, Keith, Seabrook, Hamhuis, Weber, Letang.

Edit: Forgot about goalies. Hopefully Price accepts, honestly, they'll tell him this has Olympic implications. We could get Ward as well, unless he's injured or something.

welshrangersfan

Mar 30, 2011
Yeah.. Would be better for all if the NHL started a bit earlier. But it doesn't really matter to me, it's a great annual tradition and a chance to see the best players in Europe in action with added NHL flavor.

This. I can't wait to go over to Helsinki and Stockholm in May. I would prefer it on a bi-annual basis and for the NHL to start in September but it is what it is.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
my personal short list of players i would like to see include:

price
dubnyk

subban

tavares
nash
eberle-hall-rnh (any or all)
heatley (hard to say if he'd come at this point in his career:dunno:)
perry-getzlaf
staal-skinner

there really isnt alot of high end canadian defenceman available right now with experiance:help:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Clearly I spoke too soon about the Flames. Not that they are a guarantee, but they are certainly in the race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad