WC: Roster Talk '12 — Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Came to chat about WHC and the addition of Burrows, guess I'll just save it and make conversation elsewhere. Can't believe all the hate on here

Just disgusting right? Keith, Perry, Hall....and all anyone can complain about is Burrows? I'm out of here too.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Yes because Spezza is a perfect fit as a 4th line energy guy/checker. :sarcasm:

Yes. And spezza plays centre and burrows plays wing. Come on guys, give it up, he's matured as a player and as a person.

It could be worse, it could be marchand, a guy that puts Italian soccer players to shame, or mike Ribeiro, who spasms on the ice for no reason.

Burrows fought his way up from the ECHL. He has shown the hockey community he has heart and fight in him.

That's exactly the kind of guy I want on my national hockey team.

Polansky

Apr 5, 2007
Yes. And spezza plays centre and burrows plays wing. Come on guys, give it up, he's matured as a player and as a person.

It could be worse, it could be marchand, a guy that puts Italian soccer players to shame, or mike Ribeiro, who spasms on the ice for no reason.

Burrows fought his way up from the ECHL. He has shown the hockey community he has heart and fight in him.

That's exactly the kind of guy I want on my national hockey team.

Burrows is worse than Marchand or Ribeiro. Funny how you claim Burrow has matured and then use an example of Ribeiro from five years ago.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Burrows is worse than Marchand or Ribeiro. Funny how you claim Burrow has matured and then use an example of Ribeiro from five years ago.

burrows has never got fined or suspended yet he is worse then marchand? get the **** out of here :laugh:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Exactly my point. Players do change. Look at Matt Cooke.

All burrows does is play his role on the team. He has taken less stupid penalties, and outside of friggen biting a guy...what has burrows done?

To my knowledge he's never even been suspended. Not like Duncan Keith with that blatant elbow to Danny's head.

Fact is, there are a ton of dirty hockey players out there, and burrows is nowhere near the worst of them.

I'd rather have Burrows on my team. He's a guy that will do whatever it takes to win, drop the gloves, throw a big hit and yes...even ****ing bite someone.

I would not want a guy that dives hard to draw penalties like Brad Marchand. Talented player, but I wouldn't go anywhere near him.

M A K A V E L I*

You know that this happened not even a year ago, right? Have you ever seen any other pro hockey player bite another player?

Marc Savard bit Tucker and Carcillo. Ruutu bit Peters. Sorry to blow your argument up like that.

If I do highlights for this, I'm going to put in random Burrows stuff just to spite you Burrows haters. :laugh:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I guess in my book dirty is dirty whether it's a bad hit, biting someones fingers, or sticking your fingers in someones mouth. As someone who follows the Canucks and watches him play regularly, it's evident that the rate at which he crosses the line is dramatically lower than it was earlier in his career and it's my argument that at his current rate he is no more guilty of being dirty than any other NHL player. Anyway, that's just the way I see it, of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion on it and if you feel the way you do that's fine.

My underlying point was that Burrows is an excellent hockey player and I'm glad he's been given the opportunity to represent his country. To a guy making his way up from the ECHL it's something that I'm sure he would have never dreamed of 5 years ago. I think given the fact that he's never had this chance before (aside from in ball hockey, where is has won international championships) he'll be sure not to ruin it by doing anything that would reflect poorly on Canada.

I certainly hope you are right. That is my primary fear. I'd hate it if he lost it and ended some poor European kid's career in a fit of rage/stupidity. Because he definitely can be an effective player, when he isn't being a huge ******. If he can walk the line and get other teams off their game while providing good PK, he can be useful for us(although I can still think of a bunch of guys I'd prefer to have in that role). Hopefully Sutter won't be afraid to bench him if he even gets a whiff that Burrows is starting to go nuts.

Maybe one shouldn't be shoving ones glove in the mouth of another hungry player?;)

:laugh: Touche. Let's hope Burrows doesn't run into any low blood sugar moments this tournament.

Marc Savard bit Tucker and Carcillo. Ruutu bit Peters. Sorry to blow your argument up like that.

If I do highlights for this, I'm going to put in random Burrows stuff just to spite you Burrows haters. :laugh:

I have no memory of these events. Do you have links?

Soichiro

頑張れカナックス!
May 2, 2011
東京
I certainly hope you are right. That is my primary fear. I'd hate it if he lost it and ended some poor European kid's career in a fit of rage/stupidity. Because he definitely can be an effective player, when he isn't being a huge ******. If he can walk the line and get other teams off their game while providing good PK, he can be useful for us(although I can still think of a bunch of guys I'd prefer to have in that role). Hopefully Sutter won't be afraid to bench him if he even gets a whiff that Burrows is starting to go nuts.

I don't understand the comment I bolded. Although I disagree, I can sort of see Burrows's detractors arguing that he might be a black eye on Canada's image due to his antics which include yapping, diving and biting, but you are insinuating that he's the type of player who goes out there to hurt guys and I don't think there is much in the way of evidence to that accusation. Perhaps you're thinking of another former QMJHL player?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I certainly hope you are right. That is my primary fear. I'd hate it if he lost it and ended some poor European kid's career in a fit of rage/stupidity.

Theo Fleury generally always acquited himself well whenever the call came to represent Team Canada (a request which he never turned down to my knowledge).

.....course he was on the ice during that Canada-Russia brawl.:sarcasm:

(not his fault though that the Russian coach emptied out his bench or let his entire team jump out on the ice setting up that free-for-all).

I don't understand the comment I bolded. Although I disagree, I can sort of see Burrows's detractors arguing that he might be a black eye on Canada's image due to his antics which include yapping, diving and biting, but you are insinuating that he's the type of player who goes out there to hurt guys and I don't think there is much in the way of evidence to that accusation. Perhaps you're thinking of another former QMJHL player?
He took out JP Dumont a number of years ago - but that was during the time the league pretty much sanctioned those type of hits. That's about it. He's never been suspended by the NHL (granted, given the NHL's wheel of justice, that doesn't mean alot).

Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Just disgusting right? Keith, Perry, Hall....and all anyone can complain about is Burrows? I'm out of here too.

Hall?

What?

He's dirty? He's not even on the roster I'm confused...

For the record I have no problem with Burrows being on the team, you need guys like that plus he's pretty clutch. No qualms from me.

I just dont understand the Hall comment.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Originally Posted by s7ark
You know that this happened not even a year ago, right? Have you ever seen any other pro hockey player bite another player?

Actually yes, when Jarko Ruutu played for the Sens he bit someone-forget who but it might have been Peters.

It sounds disgusting but was actually hilarious as with most things Ruutu did. I don't think Ruutu ever really hurt another player when he was with the Sens, just drove them nuts with his antics and irritating **** eating smile.

The player(bitee) came up to the locker room and yelled at Luke Ricahrdson until Ruutu came out with his wire rim glasses looking like professor Ruutu.

You can't compare Burrows to Matt Cooke who did end careers and was vicious on the ice. Burrows is a **** distruber and a pretty good hockey player. I think the Worlds will be more entertaining with him there.That said. I am hoping he doesn't bite any players while on the international stage.

Spezza should be there but that is a whole other question.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Spezza should be there but that is a whole other question.
No question if Spezza was in, somebody in the top line/top six would be out. Burrows "technically" took his spot - but both aren't playing the same role on the team (so Burrows wouldn't be that guy coming out of the lineup). Obviously one can make arguments as to whether they would be better 4th liner additions but we don't know who all who might have rejected the invitations.

M A K A V E L I*

I think the Worlds will be more entertaining with him there.That said. I am hoping he doesn't bite any players while on the international stage.

Is that what you're really worried about? Him biting someone on the international stage? :laugh:

In the same vain, couldn't you say that you hope Keith or Perry don't concuss someone with dirty elbows? All of this Burrows hate is beyond ridiculous.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Is that what you're really worried about? Him biting someone on the international stage? :laugh:

In the same vain, couldn't you say that you hope Keith or Perry don't concuss someone with dirty elbows? All of this Burrows hate is beyond ridiculous.

How did you come to the conclusion that I hate Burrows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad