WC: Roster Talk '11 – Russia

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I would take Semin over Ovi on the NT, and Datsyk over them both put together. So if I am Bykov - I call up Semin and wait for Datsyk....but then again, I wouldn't be starting a semi-retired goalie either, so go figure.

Haven't seen the last caps game, so I can't judge Semin's performance, but the choice of Bykov's words are inappropiate anyway, he seems to be under heavy pressure.

I agree completely about your post, Datsyuk reunited with Kovalchuk would be great, and while Semin tends to give a fine effort on NT regularly, I haven't seen many good games of Ovi for the Sbornaja.

It seems like Semin's style is just closer to "typical russian" style, so it's easier for him to adjust his game.

that said, it would have been much more of a story for the media if he 'd chosen Semin over Ovechkin than vice versa, and it would've increased the pressure, put on Bykov, even more.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Haven't seen the last caps game, so I can't judge Semin's performance, but the choice of Bykov's words are inappropiate anyway, he seems to be under heavy pressure.

I agree completely about your post, Datsyuk reunited with Kovalchuk would be great, and while Semin tends to give a fine effort on NT regularly, I haven't seen many good games of Ovi for the Sbornaja.

It seems like Semin's style is just closer to "typical russian" style, so it's easier for him to adjust his game.

that said, it would have been much more of a story for the media if he 'd chosen Semin over Ovechkin than vice versa, and it would've increased the pressure, put on Bykov, even more.

very intelligent way of looking at things.

Afro Thunder*

Who is saying anything about picking Semin over Datsyuk? Why not have both? They're both elite level players. It's pretty sad that so many people are ****ing on Semin for one bad game. Yes the season was on the line, but he had a pretty good playoffs this year, and I think they're just looking for a scapegoat for Washington (it should be Backstrom and Boudreau if anyone.)

Semin is probably the most underrated player in the league, and he gets hated on madly just because he's russian and there was a contract dispute when he originally came to the NHL.

This.

I still think he has the best shot in the NHL, better than Ovie's.

The guy actually had a decent and a better than last year's playoffs with 6 points in 10 games and 2 game winning goals. If you actually watched the game and instead of just looking at the score sheet like this russian coach is doing you could see he actually hustled and back checked most of the time, the people who layed an egg at that series is Backstrom and Boudreau, as well as the Caps defence.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
very intelligent way of looking at things.

thx, that happens oftenly to coaches when they had big success and than a big failure, they get anxious and defensive in their mind, and start to do mistakes.

It's even harder for coaches of NTs, they have to wait 1 year (or 4 for Olympics) after a disappointment to redeem themselves, and can't just work off the bad taste after a short holiday. so the bitterness stays and they will be oftenly confronted with the last results. For most of them, it's a awful lot of mind work to get back the confidence and all that hinders them from going all through that trouble again a year later, is reduced to 2 or 3 "must-win" games. It's really freaky mentally.

We had the same story here in Switzerland with Krueger. He was golden in the beginning (4th at WC in Switzerland 1998), and feed Swiss Hockey with a lot of positive enthusiasm, but after the Olympics 2002, where they were eliminated in a group with Belarus, Ukraine and France, and heavy critics by the press and fans, he lost a lot of confidence... and never got it back fully.

He still got very solid results and a few highlights, e.g. 5th at OG 2006 with century wins against Canada and Czechia, swiss hockey owes him a lot. But there was a problem. He still was preaching the positive mind, but wasn't fully convinced anymore, he lost the believe in the skills of the players and tried to put them in a very destructive system with as good as no attack against stronger competition. they had to play without there full skillset. as long as success is there it might works somehow. but finally more and more skilled players refused to play under this system. the team didn't progress, and IMO the last 4 years were lost years for the all-around development of them.

While I don't know much about the problems concerning Bykov, I just hope russian federation doesn't do the same mistake and keep Bykov too long only for his early great success.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Kudos to Ovechkin for donning the home country colours and heading off to the worlds. It would have been easy for him to just pack it in with an injury excuse. This guy cares about his country and the national team.

Dares

May 13, 2009
Nabokov injured !!!!!!
Most likely wont play :D
Some good news, Russia's chances of winning next game improved by 100%. :handclap:

Fulcrum

I understand his point of view. Semin would likely expect 1st or 2nd line minutes. It's not worth breaking up the little balance that team already has. ZZM line is the best line they have right now. Is Semin really more dangerous than Radulov, Kovy or Ovi??

It's important for Tarasenko to get his experience, and I actually think he looks great so far in the tourny- with the little time he's had... Maybe he could replace Kulemin, but his 2-way game is much better.

And just like that it's easy to see that there isn't ample space for Semin unless he is HOT- which he is not.

Plus possibility of Datsyuk- you get the point.

It's really nice to see some good depth for Russia :). I think with upcoming of Kuznetsov Tarasenko, Yakupov Burmi and so on it's only going to get more serious !!! :D

Fulcrum

With Ovi (and potentially Datsyuk) on board, I hope these lines will be tried:

Kovy-Tereshchenko-Radulov
Ovi-Datsyuk/Burmistrov-Kulemin
ZZM
Artyukhin-Kaigorodov-Afinogenov

You likely won't see Burmistrov, and I'de hate to see Tarasenko get pushed out... its a dillema!

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Nabokov injured !!!!!!
Most likely wont play :D
Some good news, Russia's chances of winning next game improved by 100%. :handclap:
I know Nabokov hasn't been good for you guys this year and sure I wouldn't be sad if I was a fan of the Russian national team, but seriously he still tries and being happy when he gets injured makes you look a bit silly.

I'm especially sad he got injured, since Finland's chances of winning went down a bit. :(

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
2005: Sokolov
2006: Zvyagin
2007: Eremenko
2008: Nabokov
2009: Bryzgalov
2010: Varlamov
2011: Barulin
2012: ?

An interesting pattern with Russia's WC goaltending (that is, there is no pattern)! Although there is no consistency in who's #1, at least it's now safe to say that Russia has developed decent goaltending depth. Hopefully Bobrovsky and Khudobin will also get chances in the coming years.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
2005: Sokolov
2006: Zvyagin
2007: Eremenko
2008: Nabokov
2009: Bryzgalov
2010: Varlamov
2011: Barulin
2012: ?

An interesting pattern with Russia's WC goaltending (that is, there is no pattern)! Although there is no consistency in who's #1, at least it's now safe to say that Russia has developed decent goaltending depth. Hopefully Bobrovsky and Khudobin will also get chances in the coming years.

If so, hopefully where ever he ends up next year he'll have a goalie coach to help him fix some of his inconsistencies

russianhockey

Apr 22, 2007
www.russianhockey.de
Ovechkin arrived
ovi.jpg

ovechkin.jpg

:yo:

Fulcrum

We'll see if these are good news, dunno, first of all it's hard to place him on ice since we have some text-book lines, we'll see. It might sound odd, but as far as now there would be players more useful for Russia, than Ovechkin.

Agreed. No player is bigger than the team and this is a good example.

If Ovechkin is willing to ease into it instead of taking over a line then I think it would work out better. We'll see...

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
I don't know what Ovechkin can bring to this team right now. His predictable rushes are useless at the IIHF tournaments, at least historically. He also will need a while to get used to the bigger ice.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
as far as i know i saw ovy on every line for russia, he even played like a 4liner sometimes :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad