WC: Roster Talk '11 – Russia

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Maybe it's time to change this thread to 2011 World Championship thread.

It's a bit early to guess now, but I would like to see which Russian players you guys think will be there.

I would think Radulov, Grigorenko, Morozov, Zaripov, Nikulin, Barulin and Koshechkin should all be there.

kiluj

May 20, 2010
Samara, Russia
Maybe it's time to change this thread to 2011 World Championship thread.

It's a bit early to guess now, but I would like to see which Russian players you guys think will be there.

I would think Radulov, Grigorenko, Morozov, Zaripov, Nikulin, Barulin and Koshechkin should all be there.

Mozyakin (Atlant)
Perezhogin, Kuryanov (Avangard)
Someone from Galimov-Churilov-Kalyanin line (Loko)
Atyushov (MMg)
Maybe Zinoviev (Salavat)
Maybe Afinogenov (SKA)
I don't want to see Emelin.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
No to Gonchar or Khabibulin. Both are finished imo. Khabi wouldn't go anyway.

Kulikov might not be ready yet.

About Perzhogin and Kuryanov, I would bring them, but I'm not sure how Bykov thinks of them.

I would bring Mozyakin, but put 2 defensively responsible forward on his line.

The Galimov-Churilov-Kalyanin line has excellent chemistry together, but there are better options then any of them individually.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
hope they give Kuznetsov a chance to make the team. And as i wrote in russia forum;

would be funny if they make a rookie line with kuznetsov-burmistrov-tarasenko :) it would be a lot of fun to watch. but sadly i can't see Bykov do it. i don't even think that Kuznetsov will make the team (sadly)

Fulcrum

This one is tough, there are some clear gaps in this years selection. Especially if Leafs, Rangers and Devils make it in the playoffs.
Best Realistic Roster for NT:

Kovalchuk-Zinoviev-Morozov
Mozyakin-Anisimov-Radulov
Artyukhin-(Tereshenko?/Kozlov the tall one)-Afinogenov
Zaripov-(Kuznetsov??)-Kulemin

Nikulin-Korneev
Kulikov-Grebeshkov
Kalinin-Proshkin/Atyushov

Goalies.. I just don't know, no sure calls here considering Bobrovsky is in the playoffs, Varlamov Injured, Khabibulin forgot how to speak russian and so on.. (joking, but you get the point)

There are a number of centers but none stand-out to me, for example: I really don't think Fedorov and Yashin will get called up, they're pretty much done for NT or the SHOULD be done.

-Anisimov is ready
-Kulemin def. ready!
-Burmistrov is not quiet ready, atleast Bykov's confidence would not be there, I'm almost sure
-Kuznetsov- it depends how he continues to prove himself in MHL playoffs, he is doing OK so far considering his reg. season finish, but needs to REALLY step it up in the playoffs and PROVE that he is worthy playing for NT
-Dadonov- not ready yet
-Zherdev- same as usual, they'll only take him simply because there is no one better, but he is FAR from ideal
-Gonchar should be done with NT- however there is a posibility simply because of his history
-Filatov - sigh... sigh.. sigh...
-Tarasenko - some effects of his injury+he hasn't really been tested on the main NT THIS YEAR, so I would say that he is not QUIET ready for Bykov, even if he is worthy a test on the 4th line.
-Svitov- some possibility-Bykov likes him

I've definately missed a few, so remind me:)

This definately a tough time for Russian selection since the New talented blood has not QUIET developed yet: Tarasenko Kuznetsov Burmistrov, and the old guys are just a little TOO old: Fedorov, Yashin, Sushinsky.. so on.

Last edited by a moderator:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich

thanks for the input. with Buffalo playing strong, it looks like two out of Anisimov, kulemin and kovalchuck won't make the play-offs, but one pretty much will...Kovalchuck I guess. Pretty much agree about your list, maybe Popov (88 born)?, I. Grigorenko or Glazachev?

I'd love to see Arthukin and Svitov put together. i already claimed for this last season. and it was pretty close. so maybe this year with all the absentees it will be an option

put them together with Afinogenov or Kulemin and you got a intriguing all around line that can play solid in there own zone, with some speed, hustle, and some offensive upside, and can get physical when it's needed. e.g. when Backes comes back to WC and starts to goon around again, it would be nice to have guys like Artukhin or Svitov on your team.

BTW, Russia has won WC 2 times recently, so there shouldn't be as much pressure as 3 years ago. IMO, they should fill 1 line with serious young prospects for 2014 olympic roster. They need thisexperience, the sooner the better...

Fulcrum

Good points. Popov is interesting , not sure what Bykov thinks of him.

It's nice to see guys like Artyukhin, Svitov and Grigorenko coming around- they were so highly regarded in early 2000' but never lived up to expectations.

Maybe we should through in Chistov there for good old times sake.

And I fully agree, they should put a line of prospects out there, if anything- they can always play 3 line rotations if games get too serious.

Kuznetsov - Burmistrov- Tarasenko would be the bomb! KBT line lol

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
No Artyukhin or Rybin, please.

I don't think checking lines are necessary in the international tournament. I'd rather have 4 balanced lines.

Svitov might not be a bad choice. He isn't a great offensive player, but he has certainly skills (crushing the net, playing D) that could be a very good match with some of Russia's offensive-minded players (Morozov, Zaripov, Mozyakin).

Fulcrum

I would, somewhat, disagree with the last post:

Artyukhin has been misunderstood in the NHL for being a Checking forward simply for his Size. In reality he is much more than that, more like a power forward (Same category as Nash, Sundin, Thornton). He said it himself, and he's shown good attacking-puck possession game with SKA this year. He's back to where he was before he went overseas, a good FAST forward with size and ability to protect the puck.

On top of that- he works quiet well with Afinogenov and they arguably the best line on one of the top teams in KHL. Separating them wouldn't be wise. Just need to find them a center.

Mozyakin, Zaripov, Morozov line would be OK, but Morozov and Kovy always clicked Really well, hence I put them together.

Fulcrum

Very true, however for Russian fans its a good sign- Tolpar is the strongest team in MHL now and they should get full credit for shutting him down in 3 games. Its no easy feat. A lot of promising players on that Tolpar team.

+ his partners are nowhere near his level.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Very true, however for Russian fans its a good sign- Tolpar is the strongest team in MHL now and they should get full credit for shutting him down in 3 games. Its no easy feat. A lot of promising players on that Tolpar team.

+ his partners are nowhere near his level.

yeah, this year is their year to loose the KC, imho... I was hoping for Red Army but cherepovets is taking them to game 5 and it looks like that team is not tailored for the PO hockey, while the players who were brought down form the KHL are not performing at all, most likely due to lack of motivation.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Kulikov already been to NT camp last year, been logging some good minutes for the Panthers, he may get a shot.

One thing I am a bit concerned is with historically small amounts of players in the NHL our players may forget what it takes to play the NA teams, as well as our coaches.

I find it imperative to keep playing the subway series, mhl NA tours and wherever else our players can face the NA teams. Otherwise it might be very hard to adjust to their style on the fly.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Countless possibilities this year. If the NHL play-offs ended today this is what I'd like to see:

Kovalchuk - Gorovikov - Afinogenov
Kulemin - Grigorenko - Radulov
Zaripov - Zinoviev - Morozov
Galimov - Churilov - Kalyanin
(ex: Mozyakin, Svitov)

Nikulin - Korneev
Tyutin - Grebeshkov
Gonchar - Volchenkov
Atyushov - Kulikov
(ex: Kulyash, Emelin)

Koshechkin
Barulin
Biryukov

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Zine,

Gonch has looked mediocre this year. He still has value on PP, but Russia doesn't have a shortage of PP QBs.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
http://www.allhockey.ru/news/93931/

preliminary roster to play Belorus' in the friendlies..not many will make the final team.

Goalkeepers: Vasily Koshechkin ("Severstal") and Ivan Kasutin (Neftekhimik).

Defenders: Nikita Pivtsakin ("Vanguard"), Nikolai Belov (Neftekhimik "), Maxim Chudinov (" Severstal "), Vyacheslav gimlet (CSKA Moscow), Denis Bodrov (" Spartacus "), Rinat Ibragimov (" Ugra "), Denis Kulyash ("Vanguard").

Forwards: Eugene Kuznetsov (Traktor), Vladimir Tarasenko ("Sibir"), Artem Panarin ("Knight"), Egor Averin ("Avangard"), Anton Glinkin, Andrei Popov (both - "Tractor"), Vadim Shipachev ( "Severstal"), Ilya Zubov (CSKA Moscow), Konstantin Gorovikov (Dynamo), Maxim Rybin (SKA), Kirill Petrov ("Ugra"), Denis Kokarev (Dynamo).

Last edited by a moderator:

Kap-the-Head

Jan 7, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
Looks like Russia will be playing its first exhibition game today agains Belarus in preparation to the WC. And it looks like Nabby will be in net. Welcome Back :yo:

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad