Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2018 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
It's gonna suck if the ankle is a recurring thing with him - two seasons in a row with a high ankle sprain. He's definitely prone to them now.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Could the ankle sprains be related to him tying his skates too tight? Or maybe they were just two really random incidents?

I'm just hoping that it won't happen again to him, I don't think he's ever had an injury like that before the first high ankle sprain . Hoping it doesn't happen to him again

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Could the ankle sprains be related to him tying his skates too tight? Or maybe they were just two really random incidents?

I'm just hoping that it won't happen again to him, I don't think he's ever had an injury like that before the first high ankle sprain . Hoping it doesn't happen to him again

An orthopedist would have the answer, I did try to google info about increased proneness to more high ankle sprains with the more of them you suffer but didn't find anything. He is a powerful skater, puts a lot of force on those ligaments, and who knows maybe the power lifting he does isn't good for his ankle. One would hope the Sabres medical and sports science staff have done the research.

Reactions: darcyRegier

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It's gonna suck if the ankle is a recurring thing with him - two seasons in a row with a high ankle sprain. He's definitely prone to them now.

Reminds me of one of my favorite Chinese proverbs which when roughly translated says something like "Sprain me once, shame on me. Sprain me twice, well now you're definitely just prone to sprains."

Could the ankle sprains be related to him tying his skates too tight?

I think they're related to his leg bending at a weird angle.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not getting caved in 5-on-5 would be most welcome from Eichel and his line in particular.

But thats the thing, he wasn't caved in. His CF%, SCF%, HDCF%, SF% were all roughly 49%. ROR's were roughly 50%. Jack's GF % was 46% (4th among our forwards). ROR was 5th at 44%. None were above 50% and the top 3 were Pommer, Kane and Erod all around 47%. But I would attribute most of the GF% problem to the utterly brutal 5v5 goaltending we got last year. Among the worst in the league. The only center that got caved in was Larsson with a GF% of 24% (17 goals for/ 53 against)

Get better talent around Jack/ROR with at least league average goaltending. That, with all other things being equal, would see both of them win their matchups.

Reactions: TheCerebral1

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I go out of my way to defend Eichel on here, because people get carried away with him.

That said, I still want to see improvement, and him improving will have a large impact. Imagine if he puts together a MacKinnon 17-18 season?

I get you want him to keep improving. So do I and everyone else on here. But using 5v5 team stats to measure his individual improvement is a poor way to do so.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Reminds me of one of my favorite Chinese proverbs which when roughly translated says something like "Sprain me once, shame on me. Sprain me twice, well now you're definitely just prone to sprains."

I think they're related to his leg bending at a weird angle.

Here you go sweetie, everything's going to be alright.

The greatest risk factor is a previous ankle sprain: suffering from one ankle sprain can cause you to be at least twice as likely to experience another one within the next year

It's an unfortunate truth that once a person suffers an ankle sprain, they are more likely to injure that ankle again.

Last edited:

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
who cares about jack. I want Dahlin to stay healthy. Dahlin is the Swedish McJesus. :popcorn:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Jack’s line mates much of the year were Girgensons and Pominville and the defense behind him was the worst in the league. No one could move a puck except him.

I don’t need him to be better.

I need him to play for a non Mickey Mouse organization.

When you come to the end of year 3 with this player and he’s skating with GIRGENSONS AND POMINVILLE you should be relegated.

Reactions: Ralonzo and Sabres

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Re: Jack's high ankle sprains........

It's actually called a syndesmotic injury in medical parlance. This figure and paper describes it best: Isolated Syndesmotic Injury

Figure 1
The mechanism of syndesmotic injury is described. (A) A direct blow down to the leg of a football player external rotates the ankle to give syndesmotic injury. (B) External rotating force is applied to the ankle of an ice hockey player when the player's foot is planted and the knee internal rotated.

Jack's syndesmotic muscle that connects his tibia and fibula was likely sprained. (Actually torn is a better description.) But no one showed me the MRI so I am guessing. However......

syndesmosis_x250.jpg
A sprained ankle is one of the most common injuries caused by participation in sports. It refers to soft tissue damage (mainly ligamentsligaments) around the ankle joint. A High Ankle Sprain refers to ligament damage at the joint between the shin bone (Tibia) and splint bone (Fibula). This joint is referred to as the Ankle Syndesmosis.

Frankly, it doesn't seem to have anything to do with how tight he laces his skates, the type of skate he wears, how he skates or that he's particularly prone to this injury. It will happen to anyone who is unfortunate enough to have to his foot/ankle bend in one direction and his knee in another. Coincidental that he's had it happen twice. Otherwise, just chalk it up to bad karma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad