Line Combos: Roster overhaul in order?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I usually agree with you but if that is their franchise D, poor them. He's a slight up grade on McQuaid, who I love to death , but he ain't no franchise D.

Nurse is more like a Carlo

Shutdown type D. Still a guy they would keep vs Klefbom

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It would not be a current move. Its a move for the future

Donato as we all saw in the playoffs, still has ways to go. 2 years left on his contract. He may have a good offseason, he might have already hit his ceiling.

So yes, I rather have either of those top two ranked forwards

Still has a ways to go? FFS he stepped immediately into the NHL. Kid is an NHL player. So he's not a complete product from a defensive standpoint yet, so what?

Reactions: maxl7

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I agree, Donato is ready for action next year! Guy stepped in and showed he's legit. There's no way I'm trading him unless he's part of a bigger package for a guy like Doughty/Karlsson/etc
If Edmonton wants to make a deal, I'd trade Krug +Celharik for Nurse. I'm confident in McAvoy running the powerplay and putting up points on the back end. McAvoy and Nurse top pairing would be very solid with Chara-Carlo as an amazing 2nd unit/shutdown line. I know it sounds crazy.......keep in mind we're talking about dealing with PC here, but if we could somehow swindle JP from Edmonton out of the deal without giving up our shirts, I think that'd be huge. He's be a great 2RW for Krejci and Debrusk.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I agree, Donato is ready for action next year! Guy stepped in and showed he's legit. There's no way I'm trading him unless he's part of a bigger package for a guy like Doughty/Karlsson/etc
If Edmonton wants to make a deal, I'd trade Krug +Celharik for Nurse. I'm confident in McAvoy running the powerplay and putting up points on the back end. McAvoy and Nurse top pairing would be very solid with Chara-Carlo as an amazing 2nd unit/shutdown line. I know it sounds crazy.......keep in mind we're talking about dealing with PC here, but if we could somehow swindle JP from Edmonton out of the deal without giving up our shirts, I think that'd be huge. He's be a great 2RW for Krejci and Debrusk.
wouldn’t want either. Doughty has tons of miles, and Karlsson has a bum ankle as of last year. Considering both will have big contracts that will be like ankers later on.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Don’t know if this was mentioned but it looks like the Bs have a cap overage next season of $774,000. It might be more if Debrusk is named to the all rookie team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Don’t know if this was mentioned but it looks like the Bs have a cap overage next season of $774,000. It might be more if Debrusk is named to the all rookie team.

I think it isn't getting mentioned because the cap is going up, but it isn't clear by how much yet. Cam said in the press conference they thought 5-10 mil or thereabouts. I am not seeing the overage in any case though. Unless you are calculating all the FAs resigning at their current deals?

Reactions: wintersej

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

With 3 forwards nominated for the Calder I would have to think Debrusk's chances of an All-Rookie team selection aren't terribly good.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Donato showed he can be productive on the PP (most of his points).

hopefully the taste of the playoffs/and not juggling school can help raise his game for next season

Strength and speed are key elements he needs to improve. Otherwise he showed good things on the ice. Especialy ability to bury the puck

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Donato showed he can be productive on the PP (most of his points).

hopefully the taste of the playoffs/and not juggling school can help raise his game for next season

Strength and speed are key elements he needs to improve. Otherwise he showed good things on the ice. Especialy ability to bury the puck
Hopefully not another Spooner

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Spooner played better...but it was too late

Donato, JFK took a risk by signing short term contracts. So they need to produce sooner than later

We will see what happens next season (unless Krug + Donato to Oilers indeed does happen)

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Donato trade ... hey kid, we know your dad, think your great, think you should leave school and we're going to trade you.

Nah, that wouldn't harm the organization in any way.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Well he definitely has a better shot than Spooner, and unlike Spooner, in the sample we got from Dontao, he was willing to go to the dirty areas and stay there. He wasn't mightily effective at it, but that may come in time. Spoons just didn't like to visit the tough areas behind the net and in the blue paint consistently enough.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

What a painful podcast. Mick is as polished and knowledgeable a professional as you’ll find. When he speaks, I listen.

Murph kind of came off as a high school kid who was just regurgitating hot takes he read elsewhere. I cringed every time he chimed in, often interrupting an interesting point Mick was making.

Reactions: Absurdity

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Hurricanes have a decision to make on Jeff Skinner. Will he stay or will he go?
The Hurricanes, after missing the Stanley Cup playoffs nine straight years, are open to making personnel changes and team owner Tom Dundon said some players might need a “change of scenery.” Speculation in the NHL has been that Skinner could be a player moved, with commentators such as TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Elliotte Friedman of SportsNet among the Canadian media saying the forward is being shopped by the Hurricanes.

“We have him for another year and that’s the way it remains,” Don Waddell, the Canes’ president and general manager, said Tuesday. “Jeff’s been a great player for our franchise. Certainly if there’s another fit someplace that makes sense for all of us we might explore it, but if not we know he’ll be a part of this group going forward.”

On a team starved for goals, Skinner has scored 204 in 579 career games. He’s still a sniper. But he's never appeared in a playoff game, a source of frustration.

“I like it here, I want to win here,” Skinner said after the season, but also added, “You have to be open-minded to everything. That’s why you have agents and advisers.”

Skinner is due to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2018-19 season.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Exactly. Donato isn't getting traded. Heinen on the other hand.....

Heinen on the other hand what? I would bet a lot on it that Sweeney doesn’t care what the fans here think and likes Heinen a lot and plans to keep him unless something you can’t say no to comes along.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Still has a ways to go? FFS he stepped immediately into the NHL. Kid is an NHL player. So he's not a complete product from a defensive standpoint yet, so what?

He needs to get stronger. Same goes for Bjork, Debrusk, Heinen. Pastrnak brought a mans body to camp this year and it really showed, especially with the way he was able to dominate in the playoffs. Pasta was pretty poor last year in the playoffs and put in the work necessary in the offseason. Hopefully the 4 guys I mentioned do the same this offseason because they all have showed they have the skill, now they just need to match that with a body that can deliver that skill every night consistently

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I dont very often post these things from my heart... but im in a mood today. So instead of posting something i think the team might do, i will share my personal thoughts. Starting with top line and working down

Brad marchand... hes amazing with Bergeron... but hes even better with pastrnak. During bergerons injury marchand/pastrnak were still the best line in hockey. They were more than ok with riley nash.

Riley nash... im going to say after his miserable playoff and his weak history... a multi year deal might be tough to find. I overpay him on a 1 year with a promise he starts the season with marchand/pastrnak. He has a chance to get seriously paid with another good year

Pastnak...he hasnt had great chemistry with anyone other than marchand... but at playoffs he started to look like a one man machine. Id feed him all the icetime he can handle

Bergeron... this guy is so freaking good i am convinced we can build a very very good line around him.

Heinen... smart kid that makes an effort defensively... and good hands... sounds like a fit for bergeron to me

Bjork... our forgotten prospect... has shown hes ok on rw... has a rep for being smart and ok defensively... who better to learn from than bergeron

Krejci... whether we call this our second or third line... its going to be ok. I might say we should trade krejci and sign tavares but realistically i hope krejci comes back and plays well. I like him.

Debrusk... has looked like a fit with krejci

Donato... i want this kid to pop 35+ next year and become a thing for us. If this is our third line we can suffer through growing pains with donato

Backes... crazy but i got backes on 4th line... but man this could be best 4th line in past 50 years. I think a healthy backes is still a force

Kuraly... bring him back for 2 years and see how long he holds off jfk and federic for this spot

Fitzgerald... a wildcard for me. My training camp sleeper. I think he has a job to win

This means im not projecting schaller back... hes earnt a payday somewhere else. Not projectng rick nash back either.

Accairi becomes 13th forward... hes versitile. I will slot czarik as 14th forward since i think he gets a 1 way contract. I do expect jfk to be the kid from providence that plays the most. Sorry to chelarik but i think untimely injuries slammed the door in his face.

On defense

I see mcavoy really getting singled out as the man. Sophmore jynx can be tricky but i see mcavoy jumping up to 25-26 mins. Hes got franchise dman written all over him

I think we need a bigger body... 3zone... vet dman to partner with mcavoy. I dont want to commit big dollars long term so i want a guy on a short term deal. Factoring in trade value and contract... theres not many better options than alexander edler

With edler here for mcavoy... lets zdeno chara focus on making a man out of brandon carlo... as well as remaining a force on our pk

As for carlo... hes playing for a contract. Dmen that produce offense get paid more. I want to see this kid show us what hes got this year... and who better to protect him when he gambles than chara?

Now to make me mr unpopular... with mcavoy/edler and an improving carlo here... and cheap affordable gryzlyck around... how do i justify 5.75 for krug? I think krug could trade us into the top round of the draft AND fetch us back a depth nhl prospect to bolster our rw. I dont hate krug. If the team didnt have a cap to manage. If there wernt sooooo many left shot near ready kids chomping at the bits. If i thought krug and mcavoy would bring out the best in each other... but... so whats the trade? I might throw in chelarik and work with edmonton to get that 10 pick. I know theres bad blood, but grow up. Let them worry what to do with sekera or russell. I want the cap space and not interested (unless vancouver wanted the guy as part of edler trade?)

And of course brings us to gryzlyck if im trading krug. I might never learn to spell his name but hes an ideal 3rd pair dman and thats in no small part to his cap hit. He delivers enough skill and puck moving to be valuable... but does it at the right cap hit. This isnt me saying hes better at offense than krug... its me saying the fit is right

And if gryz stays miller stays. I think i like macquaid more if krug stays. Either way i want only ONE of macquaid or miller AND only ONE of krug or gryzlyck. Not saying anyone sucks... just want to effectively manage our cap AND leave room for some kids to start getting games

Id still sign an nhl experienced plug to be the 7th dman at munimum salary... but when spots open for games, id be yanking up our top 4 kids down there and wetting their feet

Hopefully 2 of them will soon be partners for mcavoy and carlo

In goal...im a rask supporter

As for backup... i think a team can find a backup if it has cap room. Im ready to let a kid get a chance. Bring a euro vet to camp for competition maybe. Let khubodin get a well deserved payday elsewhere

So pretty much the same team as last year... let most the ufa walk... limit the number of new kids coming in... mostly just allow the huge influx of kids from last 2 years to really gel. Switch from krug to edler for a short term better fit. Long term plan on a kid to fill this spot. Start testing the kids now but slowly

And dont trade this year's first at deadline... sucks at draft time not to have a first

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I dont very often post these things from my heart... but im in a mood today. So instead of posting something i think the team might do, i will share my personal thoughts. Starting with top line and working down

Brad marchand... hes amazing with Bergeron... but hes even better with pastrnak. During bergerons injury marchand/pastrnak were still the best line in hockey. They were more than ok with riley nash.

Riley nash... im going to say after his miserable playoff and his weak history... a multi year deal might be tough to find. I overpay him on a 1 year with a promise he starts the season with marchand/pastrnak. He has a chance to get seriously paid with another good year

Pastnak...he hasnt had great chemistry with anyone other than marchand... but at playoffs he started to look like a one man machine. Id feed him all the icetime he can handle

Bergeron... this guy is so freaking good i am convinced we can build a very very good line around him.

Heinen... smart kid that makes an effort defensively... and good hands... sounds like a fit for bergeron to me

Bjork... our forgotten prospect... has shown hes ok on rw... has a rep for being smart and ok defensively... who better to learn from than bergeron

Krejci... whether we call this our second or third line... its going to be ok. I might say we should trade krejci and sign tavares but realistically i hope krejci comes back and plays well. I like him.

Debrusk... has looked like a fit with krejci

Donato... i want this kid to pop 35+ next year and become a thing for us. If this is our third line we can suffer through growing pains with donato

Backes... crazy but i got backes on 4th line... but man this could be best 4th line in past 50 years. I think a healthy backes is still a force

Kuraly... bring him back for 2 years and see how long he holds off jfk and federic for this spot

Fitzgerald... a wildcard for me. My training camp sleeper. I think he has a job to win

This means im not projecting schaller back... hes earnt a payday somewhere else. Not projectng rick nash back either.

Accairi becomes 13th forward... hes versitile. I will slot czarik as 14th forward since i think he gets a 1 way contract. I do expect jfk to be the kid from providence that plays the most. Sorry to chelarik but i think untimely injuries slammed the door in his face.

On defense

I see mcavoy really getting singled out as the man. Sophmore jynx can be tricky but i see mcavoy jumping up to 25-26 mins. Hes got franchise dman written all over him

I think we need a bigger body... 3zone... vet dman to partner with mcavoy. I dont want to commit big dollars long term so i want a guy on a short term deal. Factoring in trade value and contract... theres not many better options than alexander edler

With edler here for mcavoy... lets zdeno chara focus on making a man out of brandon carlo... as well as remaining a force on our pk

As for carlo... hes playing for a contract. Dmen that produce offense get paid more. I want to see this kid show us what hes got this year... and who better to protect him when he gambles than chara?

Now to make me mr unpopular... with mcavoy/edler and an improving carlo here... and cheap affordable gryzlyck around... how do i justify 5.75 for krug? I think krug could trade us into the top round of the draft AND fetch us back a depth nhl prospect to bolster our rw. I dont hate krug. If the team didnt have a cap to manage. If there wernt sooooo many left shot near ready kids chomping at the bits. If i thought krug and mcavoy would bring out the best in each other... but... so whats the trade? I might throw in chelarik and work with edmonton to get that 10 pick. I know theres bad blood, but grow up. Let them worry what to do with sekera or russell. I want the cap space and not interested (unless vancouver wanted the guy as part of edler trade?)

And of course brings us to gryzlyck if im trading krug. I might never learn to spell his name but hes an ideal 3rd pair dman and thats in no small part to his cap hit. He delivers enough skill and puck moving to be valuable... but does it at the right cap hit. This isnt me saying hes better at offense than krug... its me saying the fit is right

And if gryz stays miller stays. I think i like macquaid more if krug stays. Either way i want only ONE of macquaid or miller AND only ONE of krug or gryzlyck. Not saying anyone sucks... just want to effectively manage our cap AND leave room for some kids to start getting games

Id still sign an nhl experienced plug to be the 7th dman at munimum salary... but when spots open for games, id be yanking up our top 4 kids down there and wetting their feet

Hopefully 2 of them will soon be partners for mcavoy and carlo

In goal...im a rask supporter

As for backup... i think a team can find a backup if it has cap room. Im ready to let a kid get a chance. Bring a euro vet to camp for competition maybe. Let khubodin get a well deserved payday elsewhere

So pretty much the same team as last year... let most the ufa walk... limit the number of new kids coming in... mostly just allow the huge influx of kids from last 2 years to really gel. Switch from krug to edler for a short term better fit. Long term plan on a kid to fill this spot. Start testing the kids now but slowly

And dont trade this year's first at deadline... sucks at draft time not to have a first

I'm at least tentatively with you on the idea of maybe keeping Marchand and Pasta together and putting Bergeron with others. And I am at least tentatively with you on the D. But, I don't think Nash takes a one year deal. And Edler (even if he waived) isn't the guy I want. I want someone closer to Krug's age that we want around long term. A bridge between Chara and Vaak/Zboril/Lauzon/whatever on the left side.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'm at least tentatively with you on the idea of maybe keeping Marchand and Pasta together and putting Bergeron with others. And I am at least tentatively with you on the D. But, I don't think Nash takes a one year deal. And Edler (even if he waived) isn't the guy I want. I want someone closer to Krug's age that we want around long term. A bridge between Chara and Vaak/Zboril/Lauzon/whatever on the left side.

Im easy to convince bring in hanifin... but is carolina easy to convince give him to us? Alot of available dmen are either right shot or franchise guys costing the moon. Its hard for me to find many left hand shot 22 min per game options i think could be moved

My top target is jay bouwmeister... but expensive... and st louis is contending... doubtful hes available. Hjalmasson and methot dont have the 3 zone precense i want. Andy greene scares me hes toast...

Jake muzzin? What would he cost us?

Im with you edler is far from a perfect savior. I just toss him in the mix as the best fit of contract/need/availability/cost

As for sweet talking nash to take a 1 year... you might be right. But im betting he doesnt get more than 3 mill on any deal 2 years and up... so 6 mill for 2 years... maybe 9 for 3

If i offer him 4.5 on a one year and give him the best wingers in nhl... how does he not end up with more money?

My entire premise is built on no one opening the bank for him... so have to wait and see. But im predicting no one will offer him more than 3 years. And likely no one goes over 3 mill

Reactions: wintersej

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If i offer him 4.5 on a one year and give him the best wingers in nhl... how does he not end up with more money?

My entire premise is built on no one opening the bank for him... so have to wait and see. But im predicting no one will offer him more than 3 years. And likely no one goes over 3 mill

I would be surprised if he doesn't get a better offer than 3/9

That said, I know he played well with Marchand and Pasta for a dozen games or so, but I have no doubt his lack of skill would fairly quickly start impacting the others. And my guess is even if Boston were willing to do what you suggest, those promised lines will have been broken apart before they hit American Thanksgiving, if not before Halloween

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad