Speculation: Roster Management time table..

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Babcock loves him and won't see sense

That's why I think we need to be careful about who we bring in at the TDL, we don't need another plug for Babcock to fall in love with

Yeah no kidding eh. Pretty nasty stats There. It is screwed up that he stillnplays Polak????

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Babcock likes him PKing and seems to value the "veteranosity and grit" that Polak brings and won't see Polak for what he really is

Bad

I think we are better off with him sitting the rest of the season and Borg playing. Gardiner's game is weak and I haven't completely committed to agreeing with posters that wouldn't mind seeing him gone for good. I'm getting closer to agreeing with them every game now!

Polak firstly and Gardiner are very much hurting us. We don't even need to get much for Gardiner. He is replacable. Our defense could be improved internally and i believe the same can be said for the weak forwards that are holding us back. Bozak and Komarov are easily replaced from the system. Marner could center Jvr and Kapanen for instance. Trading Jvr also is replacable with Johnsson looking very ready for the next level. Johnsson works hatder than Jvr aready and has some crafty skills.

I don't think getting younger dors anything but improve the team overall.

Rychel is ready too and we never hear a word about him.

Its like Babcock is sabotaging more success keeping Polak and Komarov in their significant roles.

I don't have any problem with Hyman like some. A scoring power:winger in his spot would change my mind easily though.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
This is a mess of management's making as much as it is Babs.

One of Babcock's biggest flaws as a coach is overplaying scrubs. This is common knowledge and predates his tenure in Toronto.

So what do they do? They sign Polak, despite knowing full well he was going to play every day. And if they didn't know that, well, then, they weren't paying attention because it was the same story last year.

Lou's got to view Babcock like he would view a player. Sometimes he needs to be sheltered, or in this case, saved from himself when it comes to certain players. Polak shouldn't be on this team, Komarov needs to be dealt at the deadline to force Babcock's hand on Kapanen, and Martin can go too if that contract can be dumped.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Next year appears be a transition year, the only FA I see with a chance of returning is JVR now that it looks like the Cap is jumping big and that is no sure thing by any stretch.

Bozak-Nylander shifts to C and Kapanen becomes Nylander
Komo-Lievo
Moore-could go a few ways including a vet or a Marlie
Polak/Carrick- Dermott/Longshot Timmy/Other Marlie/New Russian guy
McBackup-stays/Packard/Sparks

Longshot-Taveres replaces Bozak which means bye bye JVR

Komo = Grundstrom

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Trying to anticipate what the team is attempting to evaluate at thos time!!!

Did Dermott show enough in two games that it was not neccessary to allow him the chance to play 3 solid games in a row?

Did Gauthier show enough in five games as 4th line center?

I would think no in hoth cases.

Zaitsev might be back skating after this week off and will be 2 weeks total before he is back in the lineup.

It looks like some more tough games are coming becauae of a seemingly team slump in scoring.

Evaluation being done now can only make lou think some trades and promotions are needed.

If this fiddling around cost us to be caught from behind i for one won't be confident that this team is prepared for a tight race downnthe stretch.

Some fixing needs to happen soon.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think Babcock is a week behind my thinking on what needs to be done lol.

The fixing has started with Marner going with Kadri and Marleau. Effectively getting him away from Jvr and Bozak. Leo was way over due moving off the Kadri line too.

Jvr and Bozak can't be staying around any longer of we are building a team equally effective iffensively and defensively.

Aaltonen and Johnsson might be the next looks i would suggest. Moving out Bozy and Jvr opens it up for them.

I would like deals done way ahead of the deadline.

Thoughts.....?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think Babcock is a week behind my thinking on what needs to be done lol.

The fixing has started with Marner going with Kadri and Marleau. Effectively getting him away from Jvr and Bozak. Leo was way over due moving off the Kadri line too.

Jvr and Bozak can't be staying around any longer of we are building a team equally effective iffensively and defensively.

Aaltonen and Johnsson might be the next looks i would suggest. Moving out Bozy and Jvr opens it up for them.

I would like deals done way ahead of the deadline.

Thoughts.....?

JVR is the higher risk, higher reward move. That's significant production out the door if he's dealt, but we do have spare wingers, and the cap space and return we could get from a trade could be used to bolster another area of the roster.

Moving Bozak means putting someone at C that hasn't been there much, or at all. Don't know if the return is worth it as much in this case.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
JVR is the higher risk, higher reward move. That's significant production out the door if he's dealt, but we do have spare wingers, and the cap space and return we could get from a trade could be used to bolster another area of the roster.

Moving Bozak means putting someone at C that hasn't been there much, or at all. Don't know if the return is worth it as much in this case.

Aaltonen is playing some solid first line center for the Marlies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Aaltonen is playing some solid first line center for the Marlies.

Fair enough, but the AHL and NHL are different. Can he assume Bozak's role around the trade deadline? Good thing for the team if they can get a return for a pending UFA if they don't plan on re-signing him, but I don't know if Aaltonen can make that kind of a jump that soon.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Fair enough, but the AHL and NHL are different. Can he assume Bozak's role around the trade deadline? Good thing for the team if they can get a return for a pending UFA if they don't plan on re-signing him, but I don't know if Aaltonen can make that kind of a jump that soon.

Keefe speaks highly of him, so thats a key. This article shows that Aaltonen is first line and keefe has a good comment about his speed in the post game section at the bottom. Bracco got first line duty too, thats pretty quick and cool to see. Here is the article:

Recap: Clock runs out on the Amerks as the Marlies win 2-0

Last edited:
Reactions: Buds17

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Regressed until he got put with Ron. Showing us the power of the right type of partner. Which is why the Barrie rumor makes sense to me IF lou has something hinging jake being a piece and Barrie is his replacement. Id say thatd be a smart move

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Keefe speaks highly of him, so thats a key. This article shows that Aaltonen is first line and keefe has a good comment about his speed in the post game section at the bottom. Bracco got first line duty too, thats pretty quick and cool to see. Here is the article:

Recap: Clock runs out on the Amerks as the Marlies win 2-0

Babcock also sung his praises during the preseason, I think he finally gets an extended NHL look next season

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Babcock also sung his praises during the preseason, I think he finally gets an extended NHL look next season

Johnsson scored a hatty to hit 20 goals last night.The same total he had last year inhalf as nany games. We needed a scoring left winger. Great development from Johnsson. Kapanen assisted on two of them goals ladt night. Kappy is a good player and ready right now but Ahl work is not hurting his confidence.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Imagine if we win the cup this year, what would we bitc# and moan about...?. We'd be an unhappy bunch if we had nothing to complain about.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I

I wouldn't mind a look this year if bozy is moved. I liked bozy even through al them Kadri comparisons and debates. He has really lost a step this year. We could use more speed and defensive play from any center coming in to replace a good guy thats not looking like a good fit going forward for the team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Question is what are they going to do with Lou Lamoriello? In any case, management needs to take the scrubs out of Babcock's hands and construct a team with the personnel to play the game they envision.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Well its time for a bump of my own thread.I don't want to have to start another one,or post on multiple players we are discussing on the board in multiple threads.

Not trying to blow my own horn here!!!!!

So on to some thoughts.

The trade market is NOT a route i would like the management to go as a buyer. I have been thinking a full sell mode at the deadline is the best route.

Here is my list of players i view as shoyld be traded or attempted to be traded at least.

Jvr
Polak
Leivo
Martin
Moore

Jvr should be used to get draft picks and/or prospects and picks combo. Johnsson is already the replacement that has been according to the building plan been obtained,develoed and is ready for promotion at the right time for asset management with Jvr. It just fits the plan perfectly and the timing os perfect.

Aaltonen is developed on his North American smaller ice path. Plays hogh end minutes for the Marlies, and is ready now to take 4 th line center duties.

Leivo being traded is only because I don't think he will get his chance with us! That is the pnly teason i listed him as moveable!

I believe these players should be promoted if we can make the room for them.

Holl RHD that has been really good for the Marlies.

Aaltonen: he is our younger better and more skilled 4th line center of the future. Plays on the powerplay and Penalty kill for Keefe.

Johnsson: replaces Jvr right now and adds defensively over Jvr with unproven Nhl scoring as the only unknown.

Komarov and Bozak are solid keeps for our 3rd and 4th lines.

So hopefully i remembered everything i was wanting to say in all the different player threads!!!

Its a benefit to get younger, cheaper and more draft picks on the asset management side of things now.

We should be sellers at the deadline.

Draft, development, promotion and asset management should always remain the plan this early in to it.

The timing seems available and right at present to implement the plan again to the next phase of it.

Thoughts?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Nylander-Brown
Leivo-Aaltonen-Komarov

or

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Johnsson-Bozak-Brown
Kapanen-Aaltonen-Komarov

I don't see either lineup as a downgrade at even strength. If we move both Bozak and JVR, we should have 2 first round picks (our own + JVR trade) and 4+ 2nds (Bozak trade, JVR trade, and the two we already have). The temptation would be to spend those shoring up our defense, but we could realistically move into the top 12 of the draft with those as well. That or let Hunter find another 3-4 Liljegren/Dermott/Grundstrom-tier prospects in the 20-60 range. That'll give us a pipeline that can easily support Matthews' prime years with high end ELC talent.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It really unfortunately annoys me that everyone is so resigned to the fact that we are stuck with Hyman playing on the first line.

It just should not be the case. He is drag on the first line. He just is a 3rd or fourth line energy type player that could be part of a great shut down line with a solid mix of skilled fourth line players.

We have the players to replace him and Johnsson instantly jumps out as should he given the chance there.

This Hyman thing is wrong.

Reactions: 666

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Thoughts?
Keep the current roster intact for a serious playoff run.

Next year, is next year's problem. This year you try to win.

That is trying to impose a real culture change, to build a winning culture with the young players on the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The current narrative, has been, wait until next year, wait until next year, wait until next year, wait until next year, ad nauseum for decades now.

That decades, not years.

To start selling off Bozak, JVR, Komarov now by the trading deadline, speaks volumes about the Leafs organization dedication to winning. This is something Harold Ballard would do.

Wait until next year!

Pretty soon all the young players will be playing like that, playing for next year, playing like they're Buffaloed.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If we trade Bozak, JVR and Leo then management thinks this year is an development year.

I happen to think we will add to our roster and keep our 3 UFA to help make a run in the playoffs as well I think the fact that Babs has not played our best roster until very recently was part of the plan.

I feel we add Lilly and and a Rental to give us the D depth to take a run in the playoffs.

We are a much better team then most on here understand and a team that no team wants to face in the playoffs.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I happen to think we will add to our roster and keep our 3 UFA to help make a run in the playoffs
Unless a great deal comes up.
If the bounty is strong, you move JVR at the Deadline.
I dont think that bounty comes.

To me this is very much a development year, and try to move all the UFAs for picks and prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad