Speculation: Roster Management time table..

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Naw, we are not 100% committed to winning the cup this year. If you need me to explain it, you most likely wouldn't understand it.

I think you will not believe it but they are definitely going for it. Lets just wait and see what Lou does here in the short term first.

Reactions: Maple Leafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Naw, we are not 100% committed to winning the cup this year. If you need me to explain it, you most likely wouldn't understand it.
Sounds like the reply of someone who has know idea but for some reason needs internet strangers to believe they do....carry on. :laugh:

Reactions: Bullseye

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I think you will not believe it but they are definitely going for it. Lets just wait and see what Lou does here in the short term first.

It depends what "going for it" means. Does that mean making a depth trade to help things along, such as the team made last year for Boyle? Or does that mean making a significant move for a player or two that will play significant minutes and alter the team heading into the playoffs? The former likely doesn't cost too much, while the latter means trading a first-round pick and/or some of our top prospects.

I hope they do not go "all in" this year as I don't think our team should be making those types of moves. We aren't in a place where we can start sacrificing the future for the present. We need to be drafting our next Liljegren, not trading him or our first rounder.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Did that post make you feel like you matter? ... carry on :thumbu:
:laugh: aw, someones feelings are hurt, grab a tissue and comfort yourself with the thought of all the stupid people out there who just don't understand......be well.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It depends what "going for it" means. Does that mean making a depth trade to help things along, such as the team made last year for Boyle? Or does that mean making a significant move for a player or two that will play significant minutes and alter the team heading into the playoffs? The former likely doesn't cost too much, while the latter means trading a first-round pick and/or some of our top prospects.

I hope they do not go "all in" this year as I don't think our team should be making those types of moves. We aren't in a place where we can start sacrificing the future for the present. We need to be drafting our next Liljegren, not trading him or our first rounder.

Thats Lou's baby really. Detmott and Gauthier were called up to help the team play better defensively and as a result the possession game will be better. You agree?

Last edited:

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Thats Lou's baby really. Detmott and Gaithier were called up to help the team play better defensively and as a reult the possession game will be better. You agree?

I think that's the goal. I think we all hope these two guys can contribute, especially defensively, and with luck they can effectively be our trade deadline acquisitions without actually needing to make a trade. Maybe we still grab another defenseman for a mid-round pick even if they succeed.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think that's the goal. I think we all hope these two guys can contribute, especially defensively, and with luck they can effectively be our trade deadline acquisitions without actually needing to make a trade. Maybe we still grab another defenseman for a mid-round pick even if they succeed.

Dermott, Borg and Hainsey just maybe are the best three to compliment Morgs,Jake and Zaitsev for nice three pairs. I thonk thats a reasonable evaluation.

So if you are to continue evaluating the teams defensive play (pretending you are Lou) would there be another area you would gravitate to for defensive weakness? Likely it would be the bozak line and defensive depth after the top rated 6.

He needs to make a trade to improve overall team defense, we all knew it but now the moves are starting.

Cutting down on shots against and overall team defense to the tune of about 5 shots per game and .25 goals per game is kind of possible by adding by subtraction.

I think Bozak needs to be givenna lesser role preferably by trade and Kapanen also needs a full time role.

All defensively positive moves Lou likely see's as clearly as we do. The biggest question mark as to what Lou will do is Jvr.

Its hard to conclude if he will trade him. Anyways, the defensive improvement move is started and if done well makes us a tough team for anyone.

We aren't far from beingva contender because its all defensive issues. We can score with the best already.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
IMO

Trade Komarov at TDL (replace with Kapanen), get a third?
Let Bozak walk July 1
Try to resign JVR 6x6.25

2018-21019 lines
Hymann Matthews Marner
Marleau Kadri Brown
JVR Nylander Kapanen
Johnsson Gauthier Martin

Give Nylander a few seasons as the number three C until his game moves into the next level. Hopefully by then we have a few more players ready to make the jump and replace Marleau.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
IMO

Trade Komarov at TDL (replace with Kapanen), get a third?
Let Bozak walk July 1
Try to resign JVR 6x6.25

2018-21019 lines
Hymann Matthews Marner
Marleau Kadri Brown
JVR Nylander Kapanen
Johnsson Gauthier Martin

Give Nylander a few seasons as the number three C until his game moves into the next level. Hopefully by then we have a few more players ready to make the jump and replace Marleau.

I like that idea! I would not like moving Nylander away from Matthews. They have to much natural chemistry.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
People always think in such absolutes. "The Leafs signed Marleau so they must be going for it" "We are years away"

I'm going to suggest that the truth is somewhere in between. Both yet neither.

There is a process to our rebuild, I think we can all agree on that. This team is not a finished product, I think we can all agree on that. Management probably does not think that this is a Cup roster but they have also been around long enough to know anything can happen in the playoffs.

Let's take a guy like Marleau for example. He's a good player and more importantly a great pro and a good role model. This is a two birds with one stone move. He insulates the kids, he is a positive influence, and he helps keep this a winning environment. If we win nothing with him he will still pay dividends for years to come, if we go on a playoff tear he will be a guy we can lean on.

Our roster is a blend of old and new. Why not just ice 20 kids and a crap goalie and keep getting high picks? Well they have already tasted the playoffs and know what it is to have playoff hockey in our market. A standard of achievement has been set that they will pass on to the next wave that comes along. Why did we keep Bozak and JVR? Because if the kids struggle we can lean on them.

We are going to keep drafting and developing and tweaking until we are in a place where they think they have the bulk of the foundation in place. Once the farm is stocked and a roster that looks like it could be a contender is set we may see some trading of futures.

Panicking about a 5 or 7 or even 10 game streak is pointless because this is part of the process. Obviously our guys know what the holes are, what the problems are while getting a good sense of what and who everyone is. In two years if we are hoisting a cup will a losing streak this year matter? Nope, it will be forgotten.

Management knows this team is flawed and they may think some of the solutions are already in the system but need more grooming. Why make a knee jerk reaction to fix a problem that may already have it's solution.

The kids need time, experience and adversity to grow as players and as people. A lot of the pieces are in place but are also not yet fully developed. We can look at the blossoming of Rielly and Kadri, how many players need the time to follow their path? Almost everyone under 25.

No need to panic, no need fret. Enjoy this year and hope they make some noise in the playoffs all the while knowing the best is yet to come. We're in good hands but these things take time.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
People always think in such absolutes. "The Leafs signed Marleau so they must be going for it" "We are years away"

There is a process to our rebuild, I think we can all agree on that. This team is not a finished product, I think we can all agree on that. Management probably does not think that this is a Cup roster but they have also been around long enough to know anything can happen in the playoffs.

Let's take a guy like Marleau for example. He's a good player and more importantly a great pro and a good role model. This is a two birds with one stone move. He insulates the kids, he is a positive influence, and he helps keep this a winning environment. If we win nothing with him he will still pay dividends for years to come, if we go on a playoff tear he will be a guy we can lean on.

Our roster is a blend of old and new. Why not just ice 20 kids and a crap goalie and keep getting high picks? Well they have already tasted the playoffs and know what it is to have playoff hockey in our market. A standard of achievement has been set that they will pass on to the next wave that comes along. Why did we keep Bozak and JVR? Because if the kids struggle we can lean on them.

We are going to keep drafting and developing and tweaking until we are in a place where they think they have the bulk of the foundation in place. Once the farm is stocked and a roster that looks like it could be a contender is set we may see some trading of futures.

Panicking about a 5 or 7 or even 10 game streak is pointless because this is part of the process. Obviously our guys know what the holes are, what the problems are while getting a good sense of what and who everyone is. In two years if we are hoisting a cup will a losing streak this year matter? Nope, it will be forgotten.

Management knows this team is flawed and they may think some of the solutions are already in the system but need more grooming. Why make a knee jerk reaction to fix a problem that may already have it's solution.

The kids need time, experience and adversity to grow as players and as people. A lot of the pieces are in place but are also not yet fully developed. We can look at the blossoming of Rielly and Kadri, how many players need the time to follow their path? Almost everyone under 25.

No need to panic, no need fret. Enjoy this year and hope they make some noise in the playoffs all the while knowing the best is yet to come. We're in good hands but these things take time.

Goat replacing Moore and Dermott getting what i assume is a serious look hoping he is a upgrade to the defense. Keefe thinks he is the best yound dman in the Ahl.

Goat is better than moore defensively and will win as many faceoffs, kill penalties. I think many agree he is a multi dimensional upgrade.

We have leaks all over the place defensively. It isn't just the defense that is at issue. Lou has my confidence that he will make enough changes to see a better complete lineup by playoff.

Lots of organizational changes to come andbit is definitely a process of patience still.

We can score at a elite rate. We need to defend a tweek better. I believe we can do a significant amount of good tweeking internally.

Kapanen needs a full time roster spot soon also. Its coming nicely i think.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

A UFA of Marleau's stature signing here, having a great experience and seeing a good team is also a great ambassador for future UFAs on the fence about signing here. It breaks the stigma of don't go there you will get roasted alive. Good character in as much of going for it as hey, come here and go for it.
That being said, this going for it Division between posters as well as the ramifications of what to do with the UFAs will have to wait until after the playoffs for the final verdict. I expect to see half this board not upset if people walk because you got your going for it. I think that players not in the long range plan should be moved for assets that will come in and support the core down the road.
This team still needs to plug holes at the NHL and AHL level. We could use another Dermott prospect, a Sam Steel (center) prospect as well as a young PWF prospect in the system.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
A UFA of Marleau's stature signing here, having a great experience and seeing a good team is also a great ambassador for future UFAs on the fence about signing here. It breaks the stigma of don't go there you will get roasted alive. Good character in as much of going for it as hey, come here and go for it.
That being said, this going for it Division between posters as well as the ramifications of what to do with the UFAs will have to wait until after the playoffs for the final verdict. I expect to see half this board not upset if people walk because you got your going for it. I think that players not in the long range plan should be moved for assets that will come in and support the core down the road.
This team still needs to plug holes at the NHL and AHL level. We could use another Dermott prospect, a Sam Steel (center) prospect as well as a young PWF prospect in the system.
That's a valid opinion. I'd rather see the kids get the experience of going deeper in the playoffs. There is a good case for both but generally I give a lot of thought to keeping Auston happy and I'm sure he would not be impressed if we traded vets at the deadline for picks. Assets vs experience. Tricky thing to weigh and say which is more important.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
We can’t be good until our top 3 players have developed

I don't entirely disagree with what your saying in general in this thread but they're pretty ****ing good already. This team could make some noise in the playoffs this year, people love preaching patience because that's what management preaches but so far every step of the rebuild has come in ahead of schedule yet you scoff at someone who thinks that will continue. I think both of you make points but only one of you starts off with "people are too dumb to understand things the way I do"...and that's really great.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That's a valid opinion. I'd rather see the kids get the experience of going deeper in the playoffs. There is a good case for both but generally I give a lot of thought to keeping Auston happy and I'm sure he would not be impressed if we traded vets at the deadline for picks. Assets vs experience. Tricky thing to weigh and say which is more important.
Yes it's probably to late to move the UFAs now. The time was at the draft or in the summer. Now Babs has his lines set and I doubt he waivers from it. No one is going to be offering the long term piece we covet in January. I'd rather just do nothing now. We have enough own rentals, I'd rather not be trading a 1st or 2nd for another UFA.
Shattenkirk did nothing for Washington and Minnesota's owner regretted dealing the 1st for Hanzel.
It is what it is now, not interested in making the asset loss worse.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Yes it's probably to late to move the UFAs now. The time was at the draft or in the summer. Now Babs has his lines set and I doubt he waivers from it. No one is going to be offering the long term piece we covet in January. I'd rather just do nothing now. We have enough own rentals, I'd rather not be trading a 1st or 2nd for another UFA.
Shattenkirk did nothing for Washington and Minnesota's owner regretted dealing the 1st for Hanzel.
It is what it is now, not interested in making the asset loss worse.
Ask the Rangers how trading for Glen Anderson at the deadline worked out for them.

Deadline deals are never a guarantee of success to be sure but sometimes they can make all the difference, even if it just depth in case of injury. I would be surprised if we did not grab someone at the deadline. I could see us getting a vet D or a rental C to take Moore's spot.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I don't entirely disagree with what your saying in general in this thread but they're pretty ****ing good already. This team could make some noise in the playoffs this year, people love preaching patience
I agree, they are really good, but we’ve only had them for 1 complete season so far, so unless someone expected to win in their first season then we don’t know what the future holds and can’t say for sure how we will do over the next couple of years. Patience can simply mean waiting to see how this season unfolds, and how next season unfolds. Maybe we will win. But we do know the kids will continue to get better. We will definitely continue to be a better team as our best players progress and become extremely good players.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Here is all you need to know why Polak playing is absolutely ridiculous and frustrating. He is hurting us big time and Babcock oblivious or stupid!

Toronto Maple Leafs: Babcock’s Bad Habit

Polak is second worst in the entire league in a very bad stat....!!!!!!

Babcock loves him and won't see sense

That's why I think we need to be careful about who we bring in at the TDL, we don't need another plug for Babcock to fall in love with

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Here is all you need to know why Polak playing is absolutely ridiculous and frustrating. He is hurting us big time and Babcock oblivious or stupid!

Toronto Maple Leafs: Babcock’s Bad Habit

Polak is second worst in the entire league in a very bad stat....!!!!!!

• 47.73% possession rating, second worst on Leafs blue-line.
  • 46% of total shots, 44% of total goals while he’s on the ice.
  • 62% of the high-danger scoring chances that happen while he’s on the ice are against the Leafs. This is the worst on the team.
  • Polak allows 38.48 shots against per/60 minutes. The worst on the Leafs by over 3 shots per hour.
  • He is only 6th among Leafs D on def-zone face-offs per / 60, meaning his poor numbers can’t be excused away by saying he is getting tough minutes.

Prime example of when the stats match the eye test. This also doesn't include all of the incredibly dumb penalties every game. Polak is a liability, plain and simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad