Line Combos: Roster Discussions

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I am digging the softer match ups....this line dominated again last night.

Yep. Heavy offensive zone deployment, but that doesn't take away from the fact that their line won their matchups handily.

gameShots-2018-02-18-2017020910-FLAatWPG.png

And Laine's individual on-ice stats roundup - most of this is with Copp and Laine, other than Laine's goal that Little and Perreault had a hand in:

office-2017020910-lainepa98.png

Reactions: Ducky10

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
What in the world do we do when people start returning from the sick bay?

Unless Chevy has a big trade upcoming, I think we may have a period of a game or two before the TDL where the ELC guys go down to the Moose to avoid losing anyone to the waiver wire.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I really hope he can get 13 more goals in before the end of the season. I want him to hit that 40 mark...

That would be nice but it's also beyond realism with that TOI and playing on that line. I don't think there is anyone in the NHL capable of doing that. Other guys near TOP-50 are definitely not playing in 3rd line or low TOI.

Playing with Scheif that would be quite safe and expected "minimum", but as @Asiantuntija claimed before the game Scheifele made his comeback playing Laine with Scheif for a brief moment was just an excuse for Maurice not to really do that. Unless someone gets hurt or CSW seriously hits the wall Maurice is not going to use Laine and Ehlers properly on 5-on-5. Maybe he just prays for that suddenly everything starts clicking when Laine is really needed and being good is not enough.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Pittsburgh has back to back cups with Kessel playing in the 3rd line.

Depth wins championships and having the ability to put the best shooter in the game play against weaker competition in the 3rd line (and obviously 1st PP) might be very important in the playoffs.

Reactions: ps241 and Gotaf7

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Sorry to say, but offensively they aren’t really any better than ELL. And I honestly don’t think after all that the key is really either Little or Copp here. The problem is what some people still refuse to see, that Laine and Ehlers are absolute Kryptonite to each others. They can’t create almost any dangerous chances to each others. At least last season when they played in the same line Laine gave some delishious breakaway passes to Ehlers, but he just unfortunately was able to score from them. This season even those have been nonexistant, and otherwise they just don’t click and find each others offensively.

Last night LCE scored their only goal on even strength with a flukey me, myself and I goal by Ehlers. There was otherwise no real scoring chances for them but the one excellent pass from Copp to Laine that Laine unfortunately completely whiffed on. But absolutely no chemistry or real chances created between Laine and Ehlers.

I will still repeat that Laine and Ehlers need to both play with a playmaker and a puck retriever. That’s why Laine is great with Scheifele and Perreault, and Ehlers is great with Scheifele and Wheeler and pretty good with Little and Perreault (not great with them, but quite good in my opinion).

My point here is still about Laine as a player, so I would be grateful if this post is not deleted or moved to the roster thread, although it has some points thst have to do with lines too. The main point has still to do with Pate as a player.

This (bolded) narrative is becoming a bit tiresome. We get it. You don't like Ehlers. No need to take these digs every time you post when it adds nothing to the conversation. Putting the puck on net doesn't make one selfish.

I don't think that line has been as bad as you are claiming and I think we have seen that there is some chemistry there. We have seen plenty of evidence that they have chemistry since Laine entered the team. They showed it on ESL and they have shown it at times on ELL. The problem isn't chemistry, it's consistency. That chemistry comes out when they are both playing well at the same time and that unfortunately hasn't happened a lot this season. Newsflash... that's whats separates young players from veterans and why vets have longer leashes. Give it time...

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
This (bolded) narrative is becoming a bit tiresome. We get it. You don't like Ehlers. No need to take these digs every time you post when it adds nothing to the conversation. Putting the puck on net doesn't make one selfish.

I don't think that line has been as bad as you are claiming and I think we have seen that there is some chemistry there. We have seen plenty of evidence that they have chemistry since Laine entered the team. They showed it on ESL and they have shown it at times on ELL. The problem isn't chemistry, it's consistency. That chemistry comes out when they are both playing well at the same time and that unfortunately hasn't happened a lot this season. Newsflash... that's whats separates young players from veterans and why vets have longer leashes. Give it time...

I just get so frustrated with Ehlers. I see him having tools to be an amazing player whom could really use his amazing skating for the benefit of his line thoroughly. But then time after time I get so disappointed when he just keeps hanging to the puck when he would clearly have an option for a short quick pass. He should really start trying give and go passes, but I practically never see him even trying anything like that. Even though he is an excellent skater, he is unfortunately very easy for the opponents to defend, because he always does the same thing, brings the puck well to the offensive zone, but then instead of trying at that point a quick pass or a give and go, he instead starts almost every single time his running around in the corner or around the whole offensive zone, and it practically never leads into anything very dangerous. It’s just so frustrating, when I see him having the great potential, but then he just keeps doing the same thing over and over again, and his line gets really not much use from it after all.

And no, I’m not claiming that Laine has been any better for Ehlers. Neither of them just can’t create any real quality scoring chances to each others. I have been very much trying to see this happening, but it just does not happen. It did when they played with Scheifele last season, but after that they have been like missing the glue that kept them at least somehow connected. I liked Ehlers with Scheifele and Wheeler. Also he has been pretty good with Scheifele and Laine. But I haven’t liked him in any other combinations really. I just think that he desperately needs at least one playmaker with him in his line, just like Laine. And unfortunately neither him nor Laine can do efficiently playmaking at the moment to each others.

Last edited:

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I just get so frustrated with Ehlers. I see him having tools to be an amazing player whom could really use his amazing skating for the benefit of his line thoroughly. But then time after time I get so disappointed when he just keep hanging to the puck when he would clearly have an option for a short quick pass. He should really start trying give and go passes, but I practically never see him even trying anything like that. Even though he is an excellent skater, he is unfortunately very easy for the opponents to defend, because he always does the same thing, brings the puck well to the offensive zone, but then instead of trying at that point a quick pass or a give and go, he instead starts almost every single time his running around in the corner or around the whole offensive zone, and it practically never leads into anything very dangerous. It’s just so frustrating, when I see him having the great potential, but then he just keeps doing the same thing over and over again, and his line gets really not much use from it after all.

And no, I’m not claiming that Laine has been any better for Ehlers. Neither of them just can’t create any real quality scoring chances to each others. I have been very much trying to see this happening, but it just does not happen. It did when they played with Scheifele last season, but after that they have been like missing the glue that kept them at least somehow connected. I liked Ehlers with Scheifele and Wheeler. Also he has been pretty good with Scheifele and Laine. But I haven’t liked him in any other combinations really. I just think that he desperately needs at least one playmaker with him in his line, just like Laine. And unfortunately neither him nor Laine can do efficiently playmaking at the moment to each others.

I get frustrated with Ehlers as well sometimes as I do with most players :laugh:

I think you might have unrealistic expectations. His history of assists and zone entry stats suggests you are wrong in terms of being easy to defend and creating in the Ozone. I'll refrain from going down this rabbit hole as I believe we both have rigid views and are unlikely to agree.

In terms of chemistry I suggest you re-watch the first period of the Avalanche game. ECL displayed great chemistry there. As I mentioned before, I think it is a consistency issue more than anything. Neither of them are strong enough to make up for a line mate not playing well. So when Ehlers sucks it effects Laine and when Laine sucks it effects Ehlers. Consistency in their games should start making this less noticeable at some point imo.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Both Ehlers and Laine had their best games in a while. I don't get why it has to be negative all the time in these threads Celebrate the good game they had and hope they can build on on it for the next one.
They didn’t have it because of connecting with each others, but because of Copp, or then some power play or line change success with some other players. Why should I celebrate Laine and Ehlers being absolutely incapable of creating anything to each others? Their absolute lacking of chemistry and absolute need of a playmaker makes them very bad together, if they dont have the real connecting playmaker. Copp is still not that kind of a player, although he did play pretty ok with them. He just is not that kind of a natural playmaker whom can do consistently what both Laine and Ehlers need in their line.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
They didn’t have it because of connecting with each others, but because of Copp, or then some power play or line change success with some other players. Why should I celebrate Laine and Ehlers being absolutely incapable of creating anything to each others? Their absolute lacking of chemistry and absolute need of a playmaker makes them very bad together, if they dont have the real connecting playmaker. Copp is still not that kind of a player, although he did play pretty ok with them. He just is not that kind of a natural playmaker whom can do consistently what both Laine and Ehlers need in their line.

I disagree with pretty much everything you wrote in this post your player evaluation and theories about things are just bizarre.

They had good games because they played better. It had nothing to do with Copp or with chemistry. It's a real simple concept. If they keep improving their play this way then it will be good for themselves and for the team.

You should celebrate like a Jets fan and basque in the glory of the beautiful win and hope for a repeat performance tomorrow. Save your criticism for when it's warranted

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I disagree either pretty much everything you wrote in this post your player evaluation and theories about things are just bizarre.

They had good games because they played better. It had nothing to do with Copp or with chemistry. It's a real simple concept. If they keep improving their play this way then it will be good for themselves and for the team.

You should celebrate like a Jets fan and basque in the glory of the beautiful win and hope for a repeat performance tomorrow. Save your criticism for when it's warranted
I dont think anyone should tell others what they should believe in. I was very happy for the whole Jets performance last night honestly. In my opinion Armia was the only player that had a pretty bad game individually. But my point in criticizing the third line is exactly there that Laine and Ehlers just can’t create any dangerous scoring chances to each others, and the lack of chemistry has been so obvious between them that it is really not even funny.

And I believe that even when my favorites win, there should be the chance to still give criticism in those issues that deserve to have it. It was still just one win on a very tired and mediocre opponent, so I would still rather like to see the Jets be made even better. The basking in complete satisfaction is the beginning of real decline, so I don’t really believe in that unless the Jets have won the Stanley Cup. When that happens, I can assure you I will not be criticizing anything about the team - until next season... ;)

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Hmm... Maybe the issue with Pate and Nik is that they don't play co-op mode in CoD. Barkov should start hone their skills 1 vs. 2. and when Ovi finally joins in, he and Barky can improve evolutive pressures toward full mutualist co-operative synchrony further between them.

No automatic weapons. No scopes. But Good WiFi.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I dont think anyone should tell others what they should believe in. I was very happy for the whole Jets performance last night honestly. In my opinion Armia was the only player that had a pretty bad game individually. But my point in criticizing the third line is exactly there that Laine and Ehlers just can’t create any dangerous scoring chances to each others, and the lack of chemistry has been so obvious between them that it is really not even funny.

And I believe that even when my favorites win, there should be the chance to still give criticism in those issues that deserve to have it. It was still just one win on a very tired and mediocre opponent, so I would still rather like to see the Jets be made even better. The basking in complete satisfaction is the beginning of real decline, so I don’t really belive in that unless the Jets have won the Stanley Cup. When that happens, I can assure you I will not be criticizing anything about the team - until next season... ;)

And my point is that what you are complaining about is irrelevant. That line was good and the team won. And your evaluation and analysis is terrible

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Well, I will make it easy. Ehlers assisted an even strength goal the last time to Laine on the 21st of December. And that was the other one of the only two even strength goals that Ehlers has assisted to Laine during the whole season. And Laine has assisted on four of Ehlers’s even strength goals this season. Honestly I think that this is really apalling. One of the best shots in the league and one of the fastest skaters in the league and they seriously can’t do better together than that? Just have them in separate lines please...

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
The best I've seen of Ehlers and Little has been in PLE. I really wish we would go back to that. It was pretty much the foundation of the powerhouse we became. I don't get why we got rid of it so quickly (I don't get many things, but I choose to embrace the madness instead of fighting it).

Roslo to third for Laine - Copp - Roslo.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
The best I've seen of Ehlers and Little has been in PLE. I really wish we would go back to that. It was pretty much the foundation of the powerhouse we became. I don't get why we got rid of it so quickly (I don't get many things, but I choose to embrace the madness instead of fighting it).

Roslo to third for Laine - Copp - Roslo.
That would be sweet line. Copp and Roslo digging out pucks against 3rd pair defensemen and feeding Laine's cannon all night? You should suggest this to @Paul Maurice :laugh:

Reactions: Se829ne and grieves

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Ehlers has been a casualty of ELL just as much as Laine and Little. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Putting that line together in hopes the players in it will improve is the same as throwing a baby off a cliff in hopes it will learn to fly.

PLE was a ridiculously dangerous line, they were just unlucky with the finishing.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
We can't judge any player based on ELL. That line was an abomination.

It doesn't matter if Laine moves up or down in the line-up from that line, his play immediately looks miles better.

Sure he has a lot to improve, but hockey is more than just individual effort in whatever line you feel like putting together.

Laine was damn close to three point night on Sunday. Just give it time and watch the fireworks.

Laine has a generational shot, elite passing, elite vision, huge size and reach, elite IQ. He lacks in speed and agility, and he's not strong in board battles yet. He's gonna be a monster though.
We can. Heck, we should. Ignoring his contributions on that line would be an extreme case of cherry picking.

What we should not do is base our judgment purely on what that line has achieved.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
We can. Heck, we should. Ignoring his contributions on that line would be an extreme case of cherry picking.

What we should not do is base our judgment purely on what that line has achieved.

You can, I won't. It would mean that Ehlers and Little are total garbage too, which they clearly aren't because PLE was such a dominant line.

LWC(R) was also a miles better fit, and so is ECL.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ehlers has been a casualty of ELL just as much as Laine and Little. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Putting that line together in hopes the players in it will improve is the same as throwing a baby off a cliff in hopes it will learn to fly.

PLE was a ridiculously dangerous line, they were just unlucky with the finishing.
So was Perreault-Little-Laine, though. It seems like we have a common denominator here...

Heck, he even made Hendricks and Armia produce, come to think of it.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
So was Perreault-Little-Laine, though. It seems like we have a common denominator here...

Heck, he even made Hendricks and Armia produce, come to think of it.

PLL was a bit more decent, but nowhere close to PLE. Absolutely not even close.

It is the Laine - Little connection that seems to be the issue.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Are we really debating that it's the players fault when it's the coach who won't stop playing 3 incompatible shooters on the same line for half a season without any results? PoMo scares the crap out of me in the playoffs.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Well got to give some credit for PoMo about this season. With his great decisions we have became true contender for Stanley Cup. Lines are another story, but otherwise he has been excellent coach with huge knowledge about job he is doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad