Line Combos: Roster Discussions

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Ehlers is leading Connor by 2 goals. 2 count them. Considering how many more NHL games Ehlers has then Connor I would not say the difference is really that big. Connor is 6 goals behind Laine. When you consider that Laine has been on the first pp all season and has at least 10 more NHL games the discrepenancy is not that big. In addition Connor has been more reliable with the puck than Ehlers with fewer major turn overs that led to goals.

Putting the cart before the horse here.

You are ignoring the only thing that matters. Connor has played majority of the season with Chef and Wheeler. Ehlers and Laine have not.

Laine and Ehlers scored way more than Connor now when they played with Chef .

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

You are ignoring the only thing that matters. Connor has played majority of the season with Chef and Wheeler. Ehlers and Laine have not.

Yet Chef, the guy who enables all this goal scoring is only getting paid 6. I also disagree with you when you say that is the only thing that matters. Playing time matters. Time on the PP matters. Time in the NHL matters. Connor is also a less selfish player in terms of taking shots than Ehlers. Ehlers also spent a number of games with Perrault and Perrault is not to shabby of a linemate. There have been stats that show that Perrault improves a line. When Laine was having his best success he wasn't just playing with Chef but Chef and Perrault.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well got to give some credit for PoMo about this season. With his great decisions we have became true contender for Stanley Cup. Lines are another story, but otherwise he has been excellent coach with huge knowledge about job he is doing.
Some people will hate on POMO no matter what.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

That sure weighs a lot in contract negotiations.

Does Armia, a winger with better 5v5 numbers/play than Laine, demand 9 million a year long term, for he only had Lowry and Hendricks to work with and not Scheifele?

Reactions: adammlis

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Ehlers is leading Connor by 2 goals. 2 count them. Considering how many more NHL games Ehlers has then Connor I would not say the difference is really that big. Connor is 6 goals behind Laine. When you consider that Laine has been on the first pp all season and has at least 10 more NHL games the discrepenancy is not that big. In addition Connor has been more reliable with the puck than Ehlers with fewer major turn overs that led to goals.

Wrong thread but don't think it's a fair comparison.... Connor has been absolutely fantastic and I consider him a similar tier talent but this reeks of recency bias. Conner plays on the first line, get's pp1 and get's more minutes. Ehlers doesn't. Ehlers produced just as much as Connor is doing when he played with Wheels and Nickels. I agree that Connor plays with less risk overall but Ehlers has only directly responsible for about 4 goals because of extremely stupid decisions (yes, I've been counting:). How many goals do you think have been scored as a direct result of Wheeler taking a untimely penalty?

Anyways... the fact that we can move Laine, Connor, Rosie and Ehlers up and down the lineup is a strength and awesome!

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
That sure weighs a lot in contract negotiations.

Does Armia, a winger with better 5v5 numbers/play than Laine, demand 9 million a year long term, for he only had Lowry and Hendricks to work with and not Scheifele?

Does Armia put the puck in the net at the rate and distance of best ever?

I want the absolutely best for Joel just like Patrik but their talents are not a comparable at all. Armia WAS a great goal scoring prospect but he has nothing on Laine at all. A great two way guy but almost no finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Can we just say all are wingers are good.

Dont understand people crapping on Laine and Ehlers all the time.
Last year when ESL was blowing people away by putting up extra ordinary points it was being stated that possession stat sucks.
That line put schiefele in the conversation as one of the best C in the league behind crosby and mcdavid.

We are the envy of most of the other teams fan base. Probably gms too.
We got a sick top 12 when Lowry gets back.

We got sick top Dman.

Goalie who is lights out.

Lets put a throw down on other teams players :)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Last year when ESL was blowing people away by putting up extra ordinary points it was being stated that possession stat sucks.
That line put schiefele in the conversation as one of the best C in the league behind crosby and mcdavid.

We got sick top Dman.

Putting a throw down on our own players lets us assume Laine will sign for something reasonable like 7 mil and lets us keep everyone together.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Putting a throw down on our own players lets us assume Laine will sign for something reasonable like 7 mil and lets us keep everyone together.

It's an understandable wish. I wish he would too. Would be better for team too. But he doesn't run the negotiations and I want people to get that. He is sort of handcuffed.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's an understandable wish. I wish he would too. Would be better for team too. But he doesn't run the negotiations and I want people to get that. He is sort of handcuffed.
He does. If his agent asks for something he doesn't feel comfortable with, he can always change management. No one has made up a rule that he also can't negotiate for himself.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

We got sick top Dman.

I don't think this is actually the case. We all have personal preferences.. I'm for example not a big Myers fan. I think it's just a counter reaction to the amount of hype those two have been getting in general. I don't think anybody would be unhappy with if they play lights out.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
He does. If his agent asks for something he doesn't feel comfortable with, he can always change management. No one has made up a rule that he also can't negotiate for himself.

Yeah he could .He would just need to break the rules of the industry.

Which is the part you guys want to ignore. You never had a piece quite like this. Nobody did. It's worth a lot more than many think. And that's why it's hard to understand.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah he could .He would just need to break the rules of the industry.

Which is the part you guys want to ignore. You never had a piece quite like this. Nobody did. It's worth a lot more than many think. And that's why it's hard to understand.
Never knew there were rules of the industry. I am just following as a fan so lots of my comments may come across as ignorant. I didn't know Laine couldn't sign cheaply because of the precedent he set. I would think that would simply be another teams problem. I think we think he is worth the world, but, we would rather not break up the team by anyone player asking for too much money.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Never knew there were rules of the industry. I am just following as a fan so lots of my comments may come across as ignorant. I didn't know Laine couldn't sign cheaply because of the precedent he set. I would think that would simply be another teams problem. I think we think he is worth the world, but, we would rather not break up the team by anyone player asking for too much money.

As I said I would love it if he signed for 500k a year to allow the rest of the team to be as great as they can be.

But I live in the world of reality. Jets have this player who is worth more than other top prospects .He has a historical ability to shoot, and it's fundamentally the biggest skill you can get in this game . Some don't get what the objective of the game is.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
As I said I would love it if he signed for 500k a year to allow the rest of the team to be as great as they can be.

But I live in the world of reality. Jets have this player who is worth more than other top prospects .He has a historical ability to shoot, and it's fundamentally the biggest skill you can get in this game . Some don't get what the objective of the game is.
Yet, he is not in the top 10 scorers the way McDavid did with other attributes other than shooting ability. Also what good is scoring 50 goals if you allow 51 goals. Yet, some people want to pay him as if he was putting up as many points as Tarasenko, Malkin, there are so many players under 10 mil who are perennial top ten players. Who are just slightly over 8 mil in fact.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
It's same like Union if you have been in work life...you need to follow what is the current standard and go with it...there is no Soloing around if you ever want union to help you after. What Matthews gets he probably gets little less but somewhere along the lines, i think.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland

And if he was utilised properly it would even press his shooting star way harder but he is being juggled in between the different lines and he still succeeds...

Murky

Jan 28, 2006

Two things: The new toy syndrome - Laine and Ehlers are here, fans want to believe that other prospects will even surpass them. A form of Stockholm syndrome - Laine and Ehlers have been compared to other teams' top prospects and thus crapped on by the fans of the other teams so long that, the fans have actually either started to believe in the hype or just want to appear more knowledgeable by pretending to see deeper into their talents or rather lack of there of, than the mere ordinary fans.

In the case of Laine, he is 19. At that age some might want to see a prospect in the A to get some ice time and hopefully in the top 6 to develop and show his talents.

tl;dr why people are crapping on Ehlers and Laine - you chaps are spoiled.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Two things: The new toy syndrome - Laine and Ehlers are here, fans want to believe that other prospects will even surpass them. A form of Stockholm syndrome - Laine and Ehlers have been compared to other teams' top prospects and thus crapped on by the fans of the other teams so long that, the fans have actually either started to believe in the hype or just want to appear more knowledgeable by pretending to see deeper into their talents or rather lack of there of, than the mere ordinary fans.

In the case of Laine, he is 19. At that age some might want to see a prospect in the A to get some ice time and hopefully in the top 6 to develop and show his talents.

tl;dr why people are crapping on Ehlers and Laine - you chaps are spoiled.
It depends on style of play you like. IMO Connor plays a safer more NA hockey style than Ehlers. He hits harder, completes hits takes fewer chances And doesn't float. He is not as fast or creative. Laine is phenomenal but I think players who create for themselves, something Laine can't do yet deserve a bigger pay check. So far all Laine's are pp. I think pp goals come easier if you score es than the reverse.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Laine scored just fine on ES last season, top-7 in the league fine, so I'm not at all worried about his ES scoring long term even though he's struggled this season.

I don't like what PoMo has done with the lines since Scheifele got back. He did great with a crippled roster, I really give him huge respect for what he got the team to do missing their arguably two most important centers. The team really should look a lot better with Scheif in the roster, but to my eye it doesn't - all things considered I thought without 55 the team was more convincing. Granted, I also counted into that a "missing #1 center bonus" - so getting that #1 C back, the team isn't looking that much, if at all, better. If anything they seem to have higher highs and lower lows.

Maybe I had too high expectations for Scheif's return, or maybe the team without Scheif was using up their "missing #1 C" extra reserves or effort and burned out as a result for a bit. Then there's also still missing Lowry, missing Trouba etc. and who knows who else might be playing through a bit of something.

Anyway, I think the reminder of the regular season should be spent on figuring out how to get similar balance into the lineup and getting the team into that mode as they were without Scheif. Because this team with a healthy #1C playing and being coached like they were without Scheif should be a serious powerhouse.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I guess this is a more suitable place for this:

We are getting closer to that one-line team version again... Luckily not ELL bad, but not convincing to me either seeing as what we know about how good we can be. Helle has come back down to earth so we can't ride him to wins anymore (Helle is still amazing though for sure, maybe it's the amount of games getting to him). I think we are going to see the worst stretch of games going forward unless changes are made. We are still a good team, but we could be so much better.

My suggestions:

Ultra-powerhouse: Switch Connor and Laine + Switch Ehlers and Roslo
Powerhouse-lite: Switch Ehlers and Roslo

Laine and Ehlers are not meant to be on the same line. PLE was amazing. Do they not remember what happened or what in the world is going on.

Also, imagine if it is Laine taking all of those Connor shots instead. CSW is by far our worst corsi line anyway so it can't get any worse. They just make incredible scoring opportunities which is why we need to have our ultra-finisher there.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm down for switching up Rosie and Ehlers, I think that could benefit both lines in some areas. Having said that, the team has just reeled off 16 goals in it's last 3 games, so I hardly think it's some kind of must move.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
Anyone have a stat on how many 5 on 5 goals any line had with Ehlers and Laine on them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad