Line Combos: Roster Discussions

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Yes. The most effective bottom6 player on the team must go. :laugh:

I love Armia but he's the most replaceable imho. Lowry hands down over Armia, and imho even Copp considering that he can play center so well. Look at our current line-up, Copp is far more valuable than Armia considering his positional diversity, and becomes even more important when we hit a crazy amount of injuries in the play-offs.

We need to build the team with the play-offs in mind, not the regular season, or we'll end up like the Capitals.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd definitely add Armia to the trade bait list this summer. I don't think he'll command a large salary, so he'd be easy to keep around...but with Vesa, Apps, and Lemieux, there'll be options to replace him.

So many options this summer. It's going to be weird only having a couple of days between the end of the Jets' season and the draft.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I think there can be some parallels drawn to Erik Haula with Armia. Both had to sort of reinvent themselves as a player to fit their team. There was an interesting interview of Haula about this, he said after the move to Vegas and getting to a bigger and more offensive role (which is more like who he grew up to be as a hockey player), he had to work a lot to unlearn "the bottom-6" mentality he had had to adapt playing in Minnesota. I think you can see this is Armia and his offence currently, I believe he has more offensive potential than he's currently showing. He's also a bit puzzling in his inconsistency though - he has games where he's an absolute 2-way beast fairly regularly, then seems to disappear for a stretch only to reappear in beastmode again.

I'd love to have him Jets for the long term, but realistically with the roster and upcoming talent, I have a hard time seeing him ever get a bigger role, at least offensively. On the other hand if Copp-Lowry-Armia ends up a thing, that would be a pretty big role... but as it is, he's averaging about 12 and a half minutes of icetime per game. That's got to be unsatisfactory for him. Being part of a succesful team I'm sure helps some with that, but I'd be surprised if he's not yearning for bigger minutes. He might need a change of scenery at some point. If it was him instead of Haula in Vegas, I could easily imagine similar rise in production. I mean Haula had a career high of 34 points in Minnesota, now he has a bigger role in Vegas and has put up 52 points in 68 games. I could easily imagine Armia being a very solid top-6 winger with great two-way game and who can finish a play when needed. I'm not sure I can imagine that ever happening in Winnipeg though.

Reactions: Jetshockey

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think there can be some parallels drawn to Erik Haula with Armia. Both had to sort of reinvent themselves as a player to fit their team. There was an interesting interview of Haula about this, he said after the move to Vegas and getting to a bigger and more offensive role (which is more like who he grew up to be as a hockey player), he had to work a lot to unlearn "the bottom-6" mentality he had had to adapt playing in Minnesota. I think you can see this is Armia and his offence currently, I believe he has more offensive potential than he's currently showing. He's also a bit puzzling in his inconsistency though - he has games where he's an absolute 2-way beast fairly regularly, then seems to disappear for a stretch only to reappear in beastmode again.

I'd love to have him Jets for the long term, but realistically with the roster and upcoming talent, I have a hard time seeing him ever get a bigger role, at least offensively. On the other hand if Copp-Lowry-Armia ends up a thing, that would be a pretty big role... but as it is, he's averaging about 12 and a half minutes of icetime per game. That's got to be unsatisfactory for him. Being part of a succesful team I'm sure helps some with that, but I'd be surprised if he's not yearning for bigger minutes. He might need a change of scenery at some point. If it was him instead of Haula in Vegas, I could easily imagine similar rise in production. I mean Haula had a career high of 34 points in Minnesota, now he has a bigger role in Vegas and has put up 52 points in 68 games. I could easily imagine Armia being a very solid top-6 winger with great two-way game and who can finish a play when needed. I'm not sure I can imagine that ever happening in Winnipeg though.
It shall be interesting what we do with him next year. Can they sign him cheaply or do they package him off for a defensive prospect or draft picks.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Borgstrom is a no go but Hepo could be offered but I feel he is at least 2-3 years away from making an impact at NHL level. He's tiny, barely 150lbs and needs to bulk up to at least 165lbs while getting better competition than WHL next year. (Isn't AHL eligible next year)

Is there even ice-fishing in Florida??? :)

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I was looking back at a few threads from the fall, and our biggest concern seemed to be deployment of the lines. A lot of people (myself included) felt like this would hold us back.
Is it safe to say now that Pmo pushed all the right buttons this year? With all this adversity he's made all the right decisions! Guy deserves some coach of the year votes.

Reactions: Guerzy

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
We need Little and Perrault going.. scoring wise.

Maybe to try to switch a few lines in a couple of games?

Connor Little Wheeler
Laine Schiefele Ehler
Perrault Stastny Roslovic (insert 2 games)
Copp Lowry Tanev

Then go back to the main lines before playoff

Connor Schiefele Wheeler
Ehlers Schiefele Laine
Perrault Little Armia
Copp Lowry Tanev

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What I would like to see next game but know Maurice won't...
MP Scheif Laine
Connor Stastny Wheeler
Ehlers Little Roslo
Copper Lowry Armia

Morrissey Trouba
Chiarot Buff
Morrow Myers

Helle

I would only sit Helle for one more game...on the 3rd against the Habs.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

I agree with everything said. I too do feel like Armia still has untapped offensive potential in him, but he is stuck in a dead end. Maurice refuses to play Laine on the left wing and there's noway in h*** Wheelers would ever be divorced from Scheifele as long as his wheels kept spinning. The Jets struggle to find the team's (by far) best goal scorer with ice time. The same player who happens to play the same position and if they struggle to find enough ice time for Laine, where does that leave Armia? At the bottom six. I'm not sure if he's still tied up with the RFA(?) but if he isn't, I'd imagine it would take a heck of a job re-signing him after this season was said and done with. Of course everyone wants to be part of the winning group but for guys entering their prime it's a whole different ball game. There's still time to cash in and who could blame him if he went elsewhere? To me he looks like a good second line winger even right now. What if he could still find the next gear with more responsibilities and more ice time? I wouldn't be surprised to see that to be honest. His two way game already is insanely good and he really doesn't get all that much credit, not outside the Jets anyway.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I agree with everything said. I too do feel like Armia still has untapped offensive potential in him, but he is stuck in a dead end. Maurice refuses to play Laine on the left wing and there's noway in h*** Wheelers would ever be divorced from Scheifele as long as his wheels kept spinning. The Jets struggle to find the team's (by far) best goal scorer with ice time. The same player who happens to play the same position and if they struggle to find enough ice time for Laine, where does that leave Armia? At the bottom six. I'm not sure if he's still tied up with the RFA(?) but if he isn't, I'd imagine it would take a heck of a job re-signing him after this season was said and done with. Of course everyone wants to be part of the winning group but for guys entering their prime it's a whole different ball game. There's still time to cash in and who could blame him if he went elsewhere? To me he looks like a good second line winger even right now. What if he could still find the next gear with more responsibilities and more ice time? I wouldn't be surprised to see that to be honest. His two way game already is insanely good and he really doesn't get all that much credit, not outside the Jets anyway.
Would like to see this if we got a good D back or a 1st round pick.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Would like to see this if we got a good D back or a 1st round pick.

Isn't this last year of his contract though? If so, why would anyone give anything for him, unless ofc he's RFA? To be honest, perhaps P'mo should have moved Laine on the left wing and give Connor another year to develop. This way the team could've given at least him the chance to prove his worth in the top six and perhaps even re-sign here. Anyway, I suppose what's done is done. I just doubt if he feels like he can do better, there's noway he's staying.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Isn't this last year of his contract though? If so, why would anyone give anything for him, unless ofc he's RFA? To be honest, perhaps P'mo should have moved Laine on the left wing and give Connor another year to develop. This way the team could've given at least him the chance to prove his worth in the top six and perhaps even re-sign here. Anyway, I suppose what's done is done. I just doubt if he feels like he can do better, there's noway he's staying.
Connor is playing great now isn't he? If we lose someone we lose someone.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Connor is playing great now isn't he? If we lose someone we lose someone.

Sure, but is he better than Armia? I don't really think he is. Of course his stats looks more impressive, but anyone would benefit from playing in the first line. Furthermore is one year of Connor worth of losing a player like that? This is where it comes down to I suppose.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Sure, but is he better than Armia? I don't really think he is. Of course his stats looks more impressive, but anyone would benefit from playing in the first line. Furthermore is one year of Connor worth of losing a player like that? This is where it comes down to I suppose.
I think Connor is much better than Armia. Armia was inconsistent before that. Armies is playing with little and Perrault and not blowing doors down.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ok top 9 needs to get going ;)

Defense and 4th line can't carry all this goal scoring the last 2 games :laugh:

So hoping to try

LITTLE wheeler
SCHIEFELE laine
Perrault STASTNY

then fill in
Connor
Ehlers
ARMIA OR ROSLO

for 1 or 2 games.

Last game back to what coach wanta to line up for the playoffs.

Only constants are

Copp Lowry Tanev
Morrissey trouba
Hellybuyck (3 out of 4)

This next 4 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad