Line Combos: Roster Discussions

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm not saying Trouba couldn't be #1D

There have been many statistical articles showing that he's plays in an equivalent manner to a #1D. These two charts just skim the surface.

As for contracts, I think there is a potential for Buff's to become a problem if they want to keep everyone and especially if they are looking into acquiring that much needed second line center (assuming Stastny will be gone after this year).

His contract moves from a NMC to a 14 team NTC next year. He's movable. I don't see this as an issue.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Certainly wasn't expecting to wake up to this discussion this morning.

If we want to talk about abject failures, we should talk about Chevy's foray into free agency last July.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Certainly wasn't expecting to wake up to this discussion this morning.

If we want to talk about abject failures, we should talk about Chevy's foray into free agency last July.
Because it is Chevy's fault players got injured? Kulikov filled a role for us as the bottom pair LHD. Really too bad about the injury, as it leaves us real thin on the left. I'm also a little relieved that Mason as a predictable injury return as we will need a backup that can step in if needed come playoff time. We all saw in Pittsburgh last season how having a 2nd goalie can mean the difference between a quick exit and a cup run.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Buff is qbing a top 5 PP unit and people still complain.

Personally I wouldn't complain, Buff has been OK but I don't see anything in his game on PP that suggest he wouldn't be easily replaceable. And if the Jets had a true top class puck moving D-man that PP unit would be even more dangerous. There are a lot of D-men in the league who are way better with the puck on PP, making faster and better decisions and executing better quality passes. That said, Buff is doing his job just fine for the most part + I think for player management it might be good to have him on PP1. He just strikes me as the kind of player who needs to feel he's the man, but that's just my gut feeling. In any case, I'm really happy how Buff has turned his game around from the earlier parts of the season. He's been good defensively, playing physical and seems to have realized he doesn't have to (try to...) carry the team offensively. This kind of Buff we've been seeing lately is a huge asset.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Personally I wouldn't complain, Buff has been OK but I don't see anything in his game on PP that suggest he wouldn't be easily replaceable. And if the Jets had a true top class puck moving D-man that PP unit would be even more dangerous. There are a lot of D-men in the league who are way better with the puck on PP, making faster and better decisions and executing better quality passes. That said, Buff is doing his job just fine for the most part + I think for player management it might be good to have him on PP1. He just strikes me as the kind of player who needs to feel he's the man, but that's just my gut feeling. In any case, I'm really happy how Buff has turned his game around from the earlier parts of the season. He's been good defensively, playing physical and seems to have realized he doesn't have to (try to...) carry the team offensively. This kind of Buff we've been seeing lately is a huge asset.
Didn't the PP take a nose dive for the games Buff was out earlier this year?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Maybe, I honestly don't remember. Anyway by easily replaceable I didn't mean you can throw just about anyone in there and expect it to work righ away, just that I don't think Buff is a very important reason that PP is as good as it is. If Buff was traded away, for similar and less money you can get D-men who are far better on the PP, in my opinion at least. Watch some other teams with good power play units and compare decision making and quality of execution. Even within the Jets there might be better players for that position if they were given the opportunity and time.

Reactions: Ippenator

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yes and the played Troubadour not morrissey as the team has been trying to convince Trouba to stay and sell him on the team. With mo they would not lost a step.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bruins fan here. Can you guys confirm that this is your most likely forward line-up if everyone is healthy for playoffs, and who your first handful (2 or 3) scratches/call-ups would be? Was looking to make a Bruins vs. Jets forward group poll on the main board.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Stastny-Ehlers
Perrault-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Armia
Hendricks, Tanev, Matthias

Top 6 should be right but not sure about bottom 6 + extras.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Bruins fan here. Can you guys confirm that this is your most likely forward line-up if everyone is healthy for playoffs, and who your first handful (2 or 3) scratches/call-ups would be? Was looking to make a Bruins vs. Jets forward group poll on the main board.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Stastny-Ehlers
Perrault-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Armia

Who knows what Pomo will do with Hendricks when he is healthy. In addition, Tanev is in right now over Roslovic and if the lines are kept the same Little is playing wing with Perrault and Copp centering. So who knows? But, it looks like you have made up the best possible Jet line-up.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Yes and the played Troubadour not morrissey as the team has been trying to convince Trouba to stay and sell him on the team. With mo they would not lost a step.
I thought cough it up Myers took his place?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Panthers fan here, noticing the possibility of trading Buff to pay Trouba and the young stud forwards.

What would the needs/wants be for him with some small retention?
I think he could shore up our D and he doesn't have to play top pairing minutes behind Ekblad. Feel him and Yandle could form a pretty nice pairing. Tallon knows him from the CHI days

Curious what 1st you guys think Chevy will protect? This years or next year?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Stastny-Ehlers
Perrault-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Armia

This year
All players healthy its Tanev over Roslo.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Panthers fan here, noticing the possibility of trading Buff to pay Trouba and the young stud forwards.

What would the needs/wants be for him with some small retention?
I think he could shore up our D and he doesn't have to play top pairing minutes behind Ekblad. Feel him and Yandle could form a pretty nice pairing. Tallon knows him from the CHI days

Curious what 1st you guys think Chevy will protect? This years or next year?

This years first was just lotto protected so it's gone at this point.

If Buff goes an eastern conference team is the likely preference. I'd imagine the Jets would want some combo of futures and a roster player. I'd preferably go after mostly futures.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
This years first was just lotto protected so it's gone at this point.

If Buff goes an eastern conference team is the likely preference. I'd imagine the Jets would want some combo of futures and a roster player. I'd preferably go after mostly futures.

Oh ok. Was hoping itd be the 2019 1st.

Was willing to offer up:

2019 1st, 2018 2nd (Arizonas we own) + Pysyk and Mascherin for Buff retained to $6.5 million + Comrie. Feel it's pretty close in value. Helps both teams and allows you have Trouba, Myers and Pysyk as your RD.

Allows us to have Ekblad, Buff and Petrovic/Weegar plus we need another goalie prospect

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oh ok. Was hoping itd be the 2019 1st.

Was willing to offer up:

2019 1st, 2018 2nd (Arizonas we own) + Pysyk and Mascherin for Buff retained to $6.5 million + Comrie. Feel it's pretty close in value. Helps both teams and allows you have Trouba, Myers and Pysyk as your RD.

Allows us to have Ekblad, Buff and Petrovic/Weegar plus we need another goalie prospect

I think the Jets would probably target someone like Borgstrom or Heponiemi over Mascherin likely.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think the Jets would probably target someone like Borgstrom or Heponiemi over Mascherin likely.

Borgstrom is a no go but Hepo could be offered but I feel he is at least 2-3 years away from making an impact at NHL level. He's tiny, barely 150lbs and needs to bulk up to at least 165lbs while getting better competition than WHL next year. (Isn't AHL eligible next year)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I personally don't want hepo as we already have another undersized forward named petan or pysyk as I can't pronounce either of the names.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Can we agree on trying to trade Perreault? His four year extension kicks in this summer and if this stretch has been an indication of what's to come, I think the money can be better allocated on other players.

Reactions: boydkc

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
Can we agree on trying to trade Perreault? His four year extension kicks in this summer and if this stretch has been an indication of what's to come, I think the money can be better allocated on other players.
I don’t know if it’s gonna be a consensus other than me, but I’m not going to agree to that! (At least not happily). I don’t think his play has been that bad this last stretch and definitely don’t think one bad stretch would be a good indication of what is to come anyways.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I think we keep him then expose him for the expansion draft.would be a good pick up for Seattle and it will free up salary at that point.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How come Little can play the injury excuse not Perrault? If it comes down to keeping Connor for 5 mil or Perrault I'm going with Connor. If we can keep everyone hooray.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How come Little can play the injury excuse not Perrault? If it comes down to keeping Connor for 5 mil or Perrault I'm going with Connor. If we can keep everyone hooray.
I'd also rather keep Copp, Lowry and Armia over perrault at the moment.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He is in the first year of his 4 year deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad