Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Kreider-Mika-Lafreniere
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Goodrow-XXX-XXX
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

This should be the forward group game 1 of the playoffs with the XXX's being the slots that need to be upgraded. Could still keep Chytil.

Potential targets?
Lehkonen
Comtois
Rakell
Domi
Kessel
Copp
Hagel
Namestnikov
Jarnkrok

JT Miller and Giroux too but they both seem beyond unlikely.

Am I missing anyone?

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Kreider-Mika-Lafreniere
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Goodrow-XXX-XXX
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

This should be the forward group game 1 of the playoffs with the XXX's being the slots that need to be upgraded. Could still keep Chytil.

Potential targets?
Lehkonen
Comtois
Rakell
Domi
Kessel
Copp
Hagel
Namestnikov
Jarnkrok

Am I missing anyone?

I think there's a slight chance Hertl is still in the mix. Very slight.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I dont think there will be many trades at this deadline until last minute. Too many sellers and not alot of buyers and all the sellers are asking ridiculous prices.

Market needs to adjust. I have a feeling Rentals will be going for much cheaper than normal at the last second so the sellers can get something.

Drury would be smart to just wait it out until the end.

Yup. Unlikely anything gets done until close to deadline. Buyers market.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Maybe now the Georgiev for Holloway nonsense will stop....
Some team might take a chance on him for a 3rd rounder with his contract

Good take the 3rd and be done with it already.

To have (1)first (2) 2nds (2) 3rds in this coming draft is very sexy to me. Along with not have Geo anywhere near this team anymore. Just let Kinkaid backup, he proved he can do it and the players actually like him and will do the same things they do for Igor for Keith.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Is Crouse a player that is effective crashing and banging on a 3rd or 4th line? That takes a special kind of skill. Or is he the guy who fits best as a PF on a scoring line?

Sure we might be able to complete the roster a bit with more depth (which might or might not be useful when Kakko comes back), but more than anything we need speed at center ice. There aren't many options available. Yanni Gourde is however.

Given how much sense Gourde makes for us, compared to other options, its surprising that he isn't talked about more.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Is Crouse a player that is effective crashing and banging on a 3rd or 4th line? That takes a special kind of skill. Or is he the guy who fits best as a PF on a scoring line?

Sure we might be able to complete the roster a bit with more depth (which might or might not be useful when Kakko comes back), but more than anything we need speed at center ice. There aren't many options available. Yanni Gourde is however.

Given how much sense Gourde makes for us, compared to other options, its surprising that he isn't talked about more.

He was talked about at nauseum earlier. He is a a solid piece to add with a solid contract but he is 30yo. I honestly go back and forth with Gourde being on this team. I doubt Seattle will trade him now after resigning McCann

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Kreider-Mika-Lafreniere
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Goodrow-XXX-XXX
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

I'll say this, NYR needing to rent 3rd line defensive forwards makes a deadline a heck of a lot more manageable than for those teams looking for a star piece to put them over the top.

I think your roster and lines make the most sense, it's just a matter if they're what we will actually see.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I really wish the children on this board hadn't chased @Edge away again.

People want insight and then just shoot the messenger when they don't like what they hear.

I'm not sure people want insight. People want things that go along with their beliefs.

If Edge/Servaelli/Any reporter says Kakko is on the table then the source is said to be wrong.

If Edge/Seravelli/Any reporter says they are interested in someone like Lehkonen/Copp etc then they take it and run with it since they like those players.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'll say this, NYR needing to rent 3rd line defensive forwards makes a deadline a heck of a lot more manageable than for those teams looking for a star piece to put them over the top.

I think your roster and lines make the most sense, it's just a matter if they're what we will actually see.
Yep, this team already has elite offensive talent. They just need stronger depth. Having a bottom 6with 3-4 guys who shouldn't even be in the NHL makes it hard for Gallant to roll his 4 lines effectively.

We could make 2-3 solid depth adds and turn this team into an actual contender without really spending much. And make no mistake, this team doesn't even need to be an analytical darling to become a legit contender. We really just need to be a break even possession and xG team when we have Igor in net. So it's really not as unattainable as it can feel when we watch us get caved in and see our poor advanced stats.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yanni Gourde is signed for 3 more years at 5.166m per. He is 31 y/o. That couldn't matter less. With his motor, he isn't breaking down before he is 34 y/o. We can't afford an expensive player. If we get an established player now, that will require a new contract soon (like Larkin), we can't afford that player anyway. From my POV, Gourde makes a ton more sense than Larkin. Larkin has 1 more year before UFA. If we get him and he has a great year for us, then we will lose him for nothing. What good will that have done?

I would give up a bounty to get him with some retention from Seattle. I would do Filip Chytil, Nils Lundkvist and a 1st and more -- and not even think twice about it. No Laf, Kakko or Schneider. It is not about how good Gourde is, it is about how he is the perfect fit for us since he would be cost controlled, and with some retention, he is a steal.

Why is he a perfect fit for us?
(a) Both Ziba and Strome have the same issues. Neither covers a ton of ice, neither has that motor that is a constant threat at center ice pushing Ds back.
(b) He is the perfect center for someone like Kakko. He will draw attention and push Ds back, when Kakko can get the puck from a center like that he is lethal against a D on their heels.
(c) This makes perfect sense for us because we can have three elite lines. Both Tampa and Pittsburgh only won when they had three elite lines. Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel was literary the best line for Pittsburgh at times and Goodrow-Gourde-Coleman was tremendous for Tampa. We can have an elite line built around Kreider and Ziba, we can have an elite line built around Panarin -- but then what? Goodrow-Gourde-Kakko would be an elite line. That line has potential to be our best line at times without doubt. It would be great defensively, it would be great on the forecheck, it would be great on the counter attack. We don't only kill two birds with one stone, we kill three. We get another top line. We compliment the two top lines we have perfectly. And lastly, we sort out the log-jam we have giving Laf and Kakko a proper development environment, by creating another "top" development position for Kakko next to Gourde, but on the 3rd line.
(d) He is cost controlled and cheap for the duration of the flat cap era.

This team is a true contender:
Kreider-Ziba-Laf
Panarin-Strome-Hunt
Goodrow-Gourde-Kakko
Reeves-Rooney-Gauthier/Blais
Lindgren-Fox
K'Andre-Trouba
Nemeth-Schneider

After this year, we still have to replace Strome. But I am not worried, think Panarin will come back in better form next year and he has pushed so many centers over the edge so far. It might take some swings and misses, but we should be able to find someone who he can do that weith again.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
In the long term the team needs 3 or 4 more forwards, internally or externally, who drive play and literally force the rest of the lookie-loos to to skate and move to keep up with them.

Because that was the takeaway from last night, Minnesota's guys ALL did things with drive, authority, and purpose. *Rarely* did one of them get the puck, pick their head up, and assess the situation. They all had an idea of what they were gonna do first.

The majority of the Rangers are assess the situation guys which is why they're so stale in the offensive zone so often, and probably why they circle the perimeter as much as they do, buying time for someone else to do something. The issue is the other guys are waiting for the puck carrier to do something, and you end up with a lot of nothing. A lot of passive play.

Reactions: duhmetreE

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
In the long term the team needs 3 or 4 more forwards, internally or externally, who drive play and literally force the rest of the lookie-loos to to skate and move to keep up with them.

Because that was the takeaway from last night, Minnesota's guys ALL did things with drive, authority, and purpose. *Rarely* did one of them get the puck, pick their head up, and assess the situation. They all had an idea of what they were gonna do first.

The majority of the Rangers are assess the situation guys which is why they're so stale in the offensive zone so often, and probably why they circle the perimeter as much as they do, buying time for someone else to do something. The issue is the other guys are waiting for the puck carrier to do something, and you end up with a lot of nothing. A lot of passive play.
Reactive instead of proactive. We never attack or consistently push the play. When we do play a relentless game, we look like world beaters.

Watching Strome line dump the puck in and 'forecheck' is just as painful as watching Georgie take a unscreened wrist shot 60 feet out

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY

This is a good assessment and why Fast and Blackwell work so well on the Panarin line. If Kakko could be more assertive, he will be that guy shaking defenders loose to create space and driving to the net to open ice up for Panarin when he has the puck.

Laf has started to get better without the puck which has been a big reason why he has looked better on the Mika line. This is part of the game I think Gallant has been harping on

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Kreider-Mika-Lafreniere
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Goodrow-XXX-XXX
Hunt-Rooney-Reaves

Potential targets?
Lehkonen
Comtois
Rakell
Domi
Kessel
Copp
Hagel
Namestnikov
Jarnkrok

Am I missing anyone?
I'd honestly put Panarin with Kreider and Zibs. both have been hustling.

Laffy and Kakko have shown some chemistry with Strome. Hopefully it gets him skating instead of floating around

Lehkhonen + 1 more energy/checking line player is need. Copp makes sense. Hagel might cost too much. Maybe Names or Jarnkrok would be cheaper options

Panarin Zibs Kreider
Laffy Strome Kakko
Lehkonen Goodrow - Hagel/Copp/Jarnkrok/Names

is the ideal situation IMO

Reactions: rangersfansince08

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Zuccarello is rejuvenated playing with Kaprizov (that guy drives the play by himself).

Fiala and Boldy are terrific together. I wish our young players looked as good as Boldy. We don't have a guy like Fiala either.

Those two lines don't need a center.

Greenway-Eriksson Ek-Foligno. The Rangers don't have a 3rd line.

The Rangers are a hodge podge.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Zuccarello is rejuvenated playing with Kaprizov (that guy drives the play by himself).

Fiala and Boldy are terrific together. I wish our young players looked as good as Boldy. We don't have a guy like Fiala either.

Those two lines don't need a center.

Greenway-Eriksson Ek-Foligno

The Rangers are a hodge podge.
I'd kill for their 3rd line.

Reactions: leetch99

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
If we are talking playoff style, I think the Rangers really need 3 players this deadline.

Kreider Zib Lafreniere - I think this line will be okay in the playoffs. They all thrive on the cycle and Mika and Kreider raise their level of play in big games as we've seen time and time again.

Panarin Strome _____ - They need someone who can create space in the offensive zone. That could be Kakko, but a player that can score and has a motor is needed.

____ Goodrow Kakko - I think in the playoffs, Kakko will shine. He is an excellent defensive player and thrives on board play. Goodrow has been good all season but his value will be more evident in tight checking games, creating space. Who makes sense here? Could it be Chytil? Could it be a player like Copp or Lehkonen?

Hunt Rooney _____. - It's likely Reaves or Gauthier in this spot but they could use a depth forward who can PK who's name doesn't rhyme with the word Leg.

These are the questions Drury needs to answer between now and March 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad