Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXVII

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Managing our forwards is very tricky. Panarin needs a certain look on his line. Copp can't be his center. Fil can't be his center. It creates issues.

Don't buy it at all.

Chytil is growing and Copp certainly can hang with Bread, I recall the first period where Bread dished out couple of tricky passes and Copp received them perfectly, didn't fumble.

We need a finisher on the Bread line, he's the playmaker.
I'd love Kravtsov there, they had great looks imo, if we somehow remedy that situation.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Kevin Rooney took 5.95 faceoffs/game at 5v5. Replacing him with a 50% faceoff guy is an additional 20 faceoff wins per season. Less than one additional faceoff win per week. It doesn't make a difference.
You don't think if rooney was good on faceoffs he would be taking more of them every game? Weird thought process...

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I would resign Copp and Motte to 5 and 1.75 if possible.

What else do we need to do to take the next step and reach the Florida/Tampa/Carolina/Colorado tier?
Just be patient.

Laf, Kakko, Chytil all making huge strides. They will get better.

Miller and Schneider will continue to get better.

We are basically sitting how the Canes were 2 years ago with a decent core and some young players with high potential. We also have the best goalie in the league to go with that.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Just be patient.

We are basically sitting how the Canes were 2 years ago with a decent core and some young players with high potential. We also have the best goalie in the league to go with that.

Yeah this is probably the best way. Its just so hard because now the regular season will be a grind and not as exciting. I just want it to be the 2023 playoffs already.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I would resign Copp and Motte to 5 and 1.75 if possible.

What else do we need to do to take the next step and reach the Florida/Tampa/Carolina/Colorado tier?
Canucks would have resigned Motte if all it took was 1.75. The rumor was Motte was looking for term and at a number in the high "2s" (which ordinarily I still would have been ok'd with if not for Benning f*cking with the cap) but Canucks likely couldn't sign that with their cap situation.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I hate to be a reactionary guy (especially as a guy who was wearing his jersey at Game 7 when he scored) but I would be low key looking at options where I could get out from under Panarin's contract and capitalize on his value. He just isn't doing anything in the playoffs, again. He needs to become more of a driver and find an extra gear.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I hate to be a reactionary guy (especially as a guy who was wearing his jersey at Game 7 when he scored) but I would be low key looking at options where I could get out from under Panarin's contract and capitalize on his value. He just isn't doing anything in the playoffs, again. He needs to become more of a driver and find an extra gear.
Panarin+ for Matthews
Strome signs in Toronto

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah this is probably the best way. Its just so hard because now the regular season will be a grind and not as exciting. I just want it to be the 2023 playoffs already.

We've still got a series on our hands. In the 2nd round, no less.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Again? Over his career has 35 pts in 38 games. Carried cbj in the playoffs before coming here. I doubt he’s a 100% he was injured before the playoffs but still has 7 pts in 8 games. Would I like more from him absolutely but you can tell There’s something off for sure but it’s not like he’s nash who couldn’t buy a point in the playoffs

Reactions: egelband

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Again? Over his career has 35 pts in 38 games. Carried cbj in the playoffs before coming here. I doubt he’s a 100% he was injured before the playoffs but still has 7 pts in 8 games. Would I like more from him absolutely but you can tell There’s something off for sure but it’s not like he’s nash who couldn’t buy a point in the playoffs
Maybe I should have articulated differently, that's on me. But flat out since he's been a Ranger I haven't seen him play up to the caliber of a $11 million player in any postseason type hockey. If someone doesn't see that Panarin doesn't look great and remember he's the highest paid forward, that's on them, but it's an issue IMO.

I know if he was really going like he should that our second line would be helping us win games. I'm with the idea of moving him up and making the kids the second line though.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Don't buy it at all.

Chytil is growing and Copp certainly can hang with Bread, I recall the first period where Bread dished out couple of tricky passes and Copp received them perfectly, didn't fumble.

We need a finisher on the Bread line, he's the playmaker.
I'd love Kravtsov there, they had great looks imo, if we somehow remedy that situation.
I'll say that being panarin's center has almost nothing to do with fumbling passes. Bread plays his game at a much different tempo than other players. He looks for passes that no one else would look for, and part of being his center is knowing his patterns of getting open. Strome does that well for all I hate on him.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Maybe I should have articulated differently, that's on me. But flat out since he's been a Ranger I haven't seen him play up to the caliber of a $11 million player in any postseason type hockey. If someone doesn't see that Panarin doesn't look great and remember he's the highest paid forward, that's on them, but it's an issue IMO.

I know if he was really going like he should that our second line would be helping us win games. I'm with the idea of moving him up and making the kids the second line though.
This is the first year we’ve had postseason type hockey lol

Reactions: IDvsEGO

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Just be patient.

The Rangers don't have the option of going outside the organization to fill their needs. They will fill their needs internally with their young kids getting better.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You don't think if rooney was good on faceoffs he would be taking more of them every game? Weird thought process...

Not really. Derek Ryan 60,4% on faceoffs at 5v5. 5.1/game. Luke Glendening 62.24% on faceoffs at 5v5. 6.3/game. Nick Bjugstad. 55.9 % on faceoffs. 4.3/game. That's just looking at forwards under 12mins/game at 5v5.

43 forwards played <12 mins/game and took at least 4 faceoffs/game.

23 of them won over 50% of faceoffs. Those 23 averaged 76 faceoffs/game.

The other 20 players averaged 6,4/game.

So he'd get one more per game? Big difference.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The charm is finding a guy like Rooney was two years ago or for that matter Hunt last year. Under $1MM, player who can contribute. Guys like Sheehan and Bjugstad are pieces of furniture.
Engvall is an RFA I do believe ....did anybody watch him in the playoffs ? He always played well against us . Gauthier for Engvall....Leafs get bigger and faster and we get better with Engvall who had 35 pts this season . Leafs will watch the Gauthier replays and figure he is worth the risk...and they might be right...anything is possible . Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Not really. Derek Ryan 60,4% on faceoffs at 5v5. 5.1/game. Luke Glendening 62.24% on faceoffs at 5v5. 6.3/game. Nick Bjugstad. 55.9 % on faceoffs. 4.3/game. That's just looking at forwards under 12mins/game at 5v5.

43 forwards played <12 mins/game and took at least 4 faceoffs/game.

23 of them won over 50% of faceoffs. Those 23 averaged 76 faceoffs/game.

The other 20 players averaged 6,4/game.

So he'd get one more per game? Big difference.
I don't believe those teams have other centers as anemic at the dot as nyr does so the drop-off isn't as severe. If nyr had a center to win draws he would be taking more here. Can't wait till strome is finally gone. One down one to go...

Would you give up Lundkvist, Jones + 1st for Chychrun @ 50%?
Makes no sense. Nyr doesn't need a top 4 LD, they need functional centers that can win draws and not get abused by the skill players on other teams.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If the blues get run out of this series and decide to further turn things over to their youth exploring a ror deal w stl or arz retaining half the contract for a year would be interesting. ROR could come here for a year as 2c and potentially be resigned after to be a mid 6 c going forward. His strengths compliment our weaknesses. I know the idea of the blues trading their captain is odd.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don't believe those teams have other centers as anemic at the dot as nyr does so the drop-off isn't as severe. If nyr had a center to win draws he would be taking more here. Can't wait till strome is finally gone. One down one to go...

Makes no sense. Nyr doesn't need a top 4 LD, they need functional centers that can win draws and not get abused by the skill players on other teams.
Tell me what functional Center they can afford and who's giving them up?

Having a stacked top6 goes a long way. Our defenders are being overworked and it's showing.

Zibs-Copp-Chytil/Goodrow are our Centers. We need a strong 4th line Centers like Blueger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad