Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXVII

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I dont want bourque. I'd try and make a big move and package both nils and vk for johnson.
We'd probably lose the trade even if johnson is a 2c, but we're trading from strength and for need.

I really don't see the reason to overpay for a center and I'm in the camp that wants to see what Kravtsov could do over a full season in the NHL before shipping him off. His skill-set is one that this team actually needs quite a bit. He likes to have the puck on his stick, he is a very effective and efficient skater and he can make plays at speed. On top of that, he is a dangerous player 1v1 which this team doesn't have enough of.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It was not that long ago many people were dumping on Miller. They still dump on him after a bad game. Schneider is a young guy. He will get better with more experience. He is still 20 years old.

Dallas is the perfect fit for Lundkvist. Klingberg is leaving this summer. The Stars need to allocate their money to paying Robertson and Oettinger this summer. I was listening to Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek discuss Robertson’s contract situation near the end of the regular season. Robertson is getting a big number. Elliotte said Seth Jones wanted to be a Star last summer but Dallas said they did not have the cap space for Jones. They had Robertson coming off a great rookie year. They needed to save money for him. Robertson had an even better season this season. His number has gone up.

Oettinger was great against Calgary. He nearly beat the Flames by himself. Dallas had no business playing a seven game series with Calgary. How much is Oettinger getting this summer? He has no arbitration rights. The price will only go up in the future. Robertson has no arb rights this summer.

Dallas has to deal with Hintz next summer. He will get paid too.

Dallas has three key players they need to pay.

Dallas has two good young center options in Wyatt Johnson and Mavrik Bourque. Johnson had a great season. He is off limits. How about Bourque? Right handed shooting center. He will be a first year pro next season.

Lundkvist for Bourque.

Dallas likes European D.

Dallas gets Lundkvist to replace Kilngberg at a cheap price. The Rangers get a center option.
This is really well thought out. Bernmeister counters with Lundkvist for Barron, slotting Barron at 1C, and moving Zibanejad to 3RW.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's well under the cap but we need a lot more veteran depth than that.

Vatrano, Motte, Braun finally got us the depth we needed but you don't want to have to be adding several rentals at every deadline.

I'd love to find a way to upgrade from Kevin Rooney. I like your D pairings a lot- I think Jones-Trouba has mad potential, but NYR are going to want a serious 7D option with that youth.

I think there is room for Motte under that cap as well which is where I would probably use it. That and I would sign Brendan Smith as soon as free agency opened. He should have been retained originally. 2 years @ $1.0m per season.

I like what I have seen from Brodzinski although I would scour the landscape for a bargain bin 4th line option as well. Guys like:
Nick Cousins
Dimitry Jaskin (depending on what type of contract he is looking for? Perhaps a 1 year show-me deal?)
Michael Raffl
Nick Bjugstad
Riley Sheahan
Nicholas Deslauriers (although I think he may be too expensive...)

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Smith is nice to have on the fourth line when you're banged up and not sure all defensemen will make it through the entire game. That said, he's a below-average fourth liner and a below-average third pair defender. I'm not sure the versatility is worth it unless he's getting paid the minimum to be 13/7.

Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Smith is nice to have on the fourth line when you're banged up and not sure all defensemen will make it through the entire game. That said, he's a below-average fourth liner and a below-average third pair defender. I'm not sure the versatility is worth it unless he's getting paid the minimum to be 13/7.

I think he's a decent depth d-man as a #7. He plays a physical game and he seems like the right type of character guy to be in that role. To me, he's the ideal Strudwick-type vet depth guy for this team

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
And again, much of what we are outlining could be filled internally if given the right opportunity.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere
Panarin-Copp-Kaako
Goodrow-Chytil-Kravtsov
Hunt-_______-Blais
Brodzinski

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Lindgren-Schneider
_________

This fits under the cap quite nicely.

I also love @RangerBoy's idea of Lundkvist to Dallas. It does fill a need down there and he provides cap certainty on their back-end. Get someone like Bourque and let him marinate for the season in the AHL.
Rydahl might end up being that agitating shut down center.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm indifferent to what the shot metrics say about faceoffs- I want our 4th line pivot to be good on the draws. That's one of the big areas where Rooney hasn't helped.

Replacing Rooney and Strome with guys closer to 50% than 45% goes a long way.

It definitely would help with have some more puck possession. Adding Motte to that would help also as he seems effective at controlling the puck and puck retrievals.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Just curious what people think if we would be able to trade up to the top 10 in the draft by packaging Lundqvist and our first.

Philly at 5 l, cbj and 6 or detroits pick at 8 might be able to be had.

If connor geekie available at 5 would u pull the trigger? Would philly?

Thoughts?

I still think the best way to use Lundkvist is to move way higher is the first round or pick up a mid to late first for him. I just dont see him getting a a great center prospect for him.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I'm indifferent to what the shot metrics say about faceoffs- I want our 4th line pivot to be good on the draws. That's one of the big areas where Rooney hasn't helped.

Korczak was 56.4 this past year, but he projects as top six IF he makes it.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Kevin Rooney took 5.95 faceoffs/game at 5v5. Replacing him with a 50% faceoff guy is an additional 20 faceoff wins per season. Less than one additional faceoff win per week. It doesn't make a difference.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Kevin Rooney took 5.95 faceoffs/game at 5v5. Replacing him with a 50% faceoff guy is an additional 20 faceoff wins per season. Less than one additional faceoff win per week. It doesn't make a difference.

Situational faceoffs are more important that winning % over the course of the season imo. We could use a we trust guy to win them more consistently late in games and on the PK

Reactions: egelband

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Situational faceoffs are more important that winning % over the course of the season imo. We could use a we trust guy to win them more consistently late in games and on the PK

That's not a skill. That also makes a good faceoff guy less important. The sample size on "situational faceoffs" is smaller so the variance of the results is greater.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
More picks the better. We basically got Shesterkin around that value. Berard. Gettinger. Pajuniemi.

I'll take a scratch off ticket for crap that will never be used here.

We should be able to get a 4th for Georgiev. Possibly a 3rd if someone is drunk.

Gauthier, Hajek and 4th for AZ 3rd.
Georgiev likely won't return a 7th. His best bet would be to sign for under 1M... UFA market for OK backups is a big pool..

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Georgiev likely won't return a 7th. His best bet would be to sign for under 1M... UFA market for OK backups is a big pool..

I was thinking a 5th. The only way he returns even that is if someone feels like he is a future starter and wants to get him to the table first - otherwise they'll just wait until the Rangers don't qualify him, which they really can't.

Reactions: egelband

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think there is room for Motte under that cap as well which is where I would probably use it. That and I would sign Brendan Smith as soon as free agency opened. He should have been retained originally. 2 years @ $1.0m per season.

I like what I have seen from Brodzinski although I would scour the landscape for a bargain bin 4th line option as well. Guys like:
Nick Cousins
Dimitry Jaskin (depending on what type of contract he is looking for? Perhaps a 1 year show-me deal?)
Michael Raffl
Nick Bjugstad
Riley Sheahan
Nicholas Deslauriers (although I think he may be too expensive...)
A lot of stiffs in that group.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

deathb4disco

Oct 19, 2010
Flowery Branch GA

I don't care about the past get me Sidney for 2-1sts and something...we compete for the next 3yrs with 20-8-10 and Crosby then regroup. New ownership group has no loyalty to anyone on Pens.
Nahhh I want a guy who wins on my team not a washed up crybaby who holds the distinction of captaining a team to multiple 3-1 colapses.

Reactions: cheech70

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Kampf to Rangers for Georgiev??

Leafs get upgrade in goal and Rangers get their faceoff man 4th line PK guy

Kampf 1.5 cap hit for next year. cheaper than Rooney and a better player 53.7% at faceoffs and took 123 draws.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It was not that long ago many people were dumping on Miller. They still dump on him after a bad game. Schneider is a young guy. He will get better with more experience. He is still 20 years old.

Dallas is the perfect fit for Lundkvist. Klingberg is leaving this summer. The Stars need to allocate their money to paying Robertson and Oettinger this summer. I was listening to Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek discuss Robertson’s contract situation near the end of the regular season. Robertson is getting a big number. Elliotte said Seth Jones wanted to be a Star last summer but Dallas said they did not have the cap space for Jones. They had Robertson coming off a great rookie year. They needed to save money for him. Robertson had an even better season this season. His number has gone up.

Oettinger was great against Calgary. He nearly beat the Flames by himself. Dallas had no business playing a seven game series with Calgary. How much is Oettinger getting this summer? He has no arbitration rights. The price will only go up in the future. Robertson has no arb rights this summer.

Dallas has to deal with Hintz next summer. He will get paid too.

Dallas has three key players they need to pay.

Dallas has two good young center options in Wyatt Johnson and Mavrik Bourque. Johnson had a great season. He is off limits. How about Bourque? Right handed shooting center. He will be a first year pro next season.

Lundkvist for Bourque.

Dallas likes European D.

Dallas gets Lundkvist to replace Kilngberg at a cheap price. The Rangers get a center option.
This is really well thought out. If not Bourque, something similar. Exactly the type of deal Drury should be pursuing.

Just curious what people think if we would be able to trade up to the top 10 in the draft by packaging Lundqvist and our first.
Teams don't trade out of the top 10. If you still have a first after next round, perhaps Rangers can trade into high teens.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I really don't see the reason to overpay for a center and I'm in the camp that wants to see what Kravtsov could do over a full season in the NHL before shipping him off. His skill-set is one that this team actually needs quite a bit. He likes to have the puck on his stick, he is a very effective and efficient skater and he can make plays at speed. On top of that, he is a dangerous player 1v1 which this team doesn't have enough of.

I would also like to see Kravy being given a shot on the roster. But I really don’t believe in him as a center. He has overall become very passive when I’ve seen him there.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Schneider on D has been the lest of our problems in these playoffs.

inability to clear the zone by pretty much any NYR that's been dressed.

Forwards absolute refusal to rotate back in the D zone for a concerted breakout.

Nemeth

for 5 of 7 games, Mika being MIA offensively. Same with Panarin

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Schneider on D has been the lest of our problems in these playoffs.

inability to clear the zone by pretty much any NYR that's been dressed.

Forwards absolute refusal to rotate back in the D zone for a concerted breakout.

Nemeth

for 5 of 7 games, Mika being MIA offensively. Same with Panarin
That's the System baby. It has to change for next year, but GG doesn't bend his neck easily for better and worse.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This is really well thought out. If not Bourque, something similar. Exactly the type of deal Drury should be pursuing.
Lundkvist is a very good player. Unfortunately, the Rangers don't have a spot for him on the roster. The Rangers selected Lundkvist in the first round in 2018. Since then, the Rangers have acquired Fox and Trouba in trades in 2019 and selected Schneider in the first round in 2020. Lundkvist for a young LHD or a forward. Lundkvist for a player who can fill a need for the Rangers. The Rangers are facing a cap crunch and it would be nice to have a player on an ELC to help fill the holes. Lundkvist can help a team fill their needs for a RD on his ELC for the next two seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad