Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXVII

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'm not sure about Lindgren but I'm fine with the rest of this list.

Add -- Monetize Hajek, Gauthier & Georgiev. There will be a market for Georgiev from some team willing to give him a 1B contract.

Yeah it doesn't have to be Lindgren, but I was just connecting dots. I'm sure they'll find a serviceable backup for a relatively cheap price tag, there's only so many NHL spots open leaguewide

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Schneider's struggles? Stop nitpicking about every bad mistake and bad shift. He doesn't 21 until this September.

Are the Rangers playing three small D next season? Fox, Lundkvist and Jones.

Not looking to start an argument but teams with big D win. It's not a complicated formula. TB might win again. They have a great goalie and very good forwards. They have a big and tall group of D. That group of D makes Vasilevskiy's much easier. If they don't win this season, a major reason is TB has played so much hockey in the last 7-8 seasons. How much is left in the gas tank?

I mean, as to the first point, I don't think that I am. Again I don't love metrics, but they are one piece of the puzzle, and Schneider's are terrible.

Yes, he's young, but so is Lundkvist. The only difference is that Schneider arguably fits more of a team need than Nils does, and doubly so if and when Trouba departs.

I doubt you'll ever see Fox, Nils, Jones out there together for any meaningful games, I agree. It's too many. One will have to go or simply bust.

Rangey defensemen matter in the playoffs, I agree. It's one of the reasons I want us to be patient with Robertson. Lots of defensemen don't make the NHL full time until 22-23 and have great careers. We were spoiled with how quickly Miller has improved. Unfortunately I haven't heard rave reviews about Hunter Skinner this year. There's not much D depth left after Robertson and Skinner, the only blueliner we drafted outside Schneider the past two drafts was Hank Kempf.

If Nils and maybe Jones go we need to start drafting defense again.

I'm not opposed to trading Nils, but it needs to be for fair value.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Auston Matthews contract expires in 2 seasons. People are getting nervous about Matthews looking to bolt TO. Chris Johnston of TSN/Toronto Star discussed the topic on his podcast.

Come to papa. Or go home to ARI, cool with both. Although I wouldn't fancy the contract, a player of AM' caliber or Draisaitl f.ex. would be it.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm not sure about Lindgren but I'm fine with the rest of this list.

Add -- Monetize Hajek, Gauthier & Georgiev. There will be a market for Georgiev from some team willing to give him a 1B contract.

Yeah but those guys get you maybe 3 5th round picks. That's not close to what we shelled out at the deadline.

Kravtsov for a 2nd might be a move that disappoints a lot of people around here, but thankfully some of them are on my muted list.

Reactions: Go Rangers

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Yeah but those guys get you maybe 3 5th round picks. That's not close to what we shelled out at the deadline.

Kravtsov for a 2nd might be a move that disappoints a lot of people around here, but thankfully some of them are on my muted list.
At that point you sign him and let him play.

Once he's signed and playing in the NHL the value changes significantly

Reactions: bhamill

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Attachments

• Sergei-Zubov-Rangers-e1542983591470-575x431.jpg
    Sergei-Zubov-Rangers-e1542983591470-575x431.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: deathb4disco

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'll take 3 5th round picks.

You never know...
More picks the better. We basically got Shesterkin around that value. Berard. Gettinger. Pajuniemi.

I'll take a scratch off ticket for crap that will never be used here.

We should be able to get a 4th for Georgiev. Possibly a 3rd if someone is drunk.

Gauthier, Hajek and 4th for AZ 3rd.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I have a lot of faith in Jones as an NHL prospect. He's still learning the NHL game, but he has a good first pass, and he sees the ice well. He's small, but he has that kind of shifty elusiveness that he can still come away from battles with the puck.

Nils didn't look nearly as ready to me when he was up. Some flashes, but not as ready as I was hoping. Hopefully AHL time will help. I wouldn't be opposed to trading him for a comparable C prospect. I just don't know who that would be. He's young, but we have a lot of d-men in our system.

Schneider has all the makings of a good NHL d-man. I think he just needs more experience is all.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I mean, as to the first point, I don't think that I am. Again I don't love metrics, but they are one piece of the puzzle, and Schneider's are terrible.

Yes, he's young, but so is Lundkvist. The only difference is that Schneider arguably fits more of a team need than Nils does, and doubly so if and when Trouba departs.

I doubt you'll ever see Fox, Nils, Jones out there together for any meaningful games, I agree. It's too many. One will have to go or simply bust.

Rangey defensemen matter in the playoffs, I agree. It's one of the reasons I want us to be patient with Robertson. Lots of defensemen don't make the NHL full time until 22-23 and have great careers. We were spoiled with how quickly Miller has improved. Unfortunately I haven't heard rave reviews about Hunter Skinner this year. There's not much D depth left after Robertson and Skinner, the only blueliner we drafted outside Schneider the past two drafts was Hank Kempf.

If Nils and maybe Jones go we need to start drafting defense again.

I'm not opposed to trading Nils, but it needs to be for fair value.
It was not that long ago many people were dumping on Miller. They still dump on him after a bad game. Schneider is a young guy. He will get better with more experience. He is still 20 years old.

Dallas is the perfect fit for Lundkvist. Klingberg is leaving this summer. The Stars need to allocate their money to paying Robertson and Oettinger this summer. I was listening to Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek discuss Robertson’s contract situation near the end of the regular season. Robertson is getting a big number. Elliotte said Seth Jones wanted to be a Star last summer but Dallas said they did not have the cap space for Jones. They had Robertson coming off a great rookie year. They needed to save money for him. Robertson had an even better season this season. His number has gone up.

Oettinger was great against Calgary. He nearly beat the Flames by himself. Dallas had no business playing a seven game series with Calgary. How much is Oettinger getting this summer? He has no arbitration rights. The price will only go up in the future. Robertson has no arb rights this summer.

Dallas has to deal with Hintz next summer. He will get paid too.

Dallas has three key players they need to pay.

Dallas has two good young center options in Wyatt Johnson and Mavrik Bourque. Johnson had a great season. He is off limits. How about Bourque? Right handed shooting center. He will be a first year pro next season.

Lundkvist for Bourque.

Dallas likes European D.

Dallas gets Lundkvist to replace Kilngberg at a cheap price. The Rangers get a center option.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Thing is- if I was Dallas I would be a little hesitant re-Nils after the fiasco that was Julius Honka

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It was not that long ago many people were dumping on Miller. They still dump on him after a bad game. Schneider is a young guy. He will get better with more experience. He is still 20 years old.

Dallas is the perfect fit for Lundkvist. Klingberg is leaving this summer. The Stars need to allocate their money to paying Robertson and Oettinger this summer. I was listening to Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek discuss Robertson’s contract situation near the end of the regular season. Robertson is getting a big number. Elliotte said Seth Jones wanted to be a Star last summer but Dallas said they did not have the cap space for Jones. They had Robertson coming off a great rookie year. They needed to save money for him. Robertson had an even better season this season. His number has gone up.

Oettinger was great against Calgary. He nearly beat the Flames by himself. Dallas had no business playing a seven game series with Calgary. How much is Oettinger getting this summer? He has no arbitration rights. The price will only go up in the future. Robertson has no arb rights this summer.

Dallas has two good young center options in Wyatt Johnson and Mavrik Bourque. Johnson had a great season. He is off limits. How about Bourque? Right handed shooting center. He will be a first year pro next season.

Lundkvist for Bourque.

Dallas likes European D.

Dallas gets Lundkvist to replace Kilngberg at a cheap price. The Rangers get a center option.

I'd be all over this.

I don't think they'd do it.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I would resign Copp and Motte to 5 and 1.75 if possible.

What else do we need to do to take the next step and reach the Florida/Tampa/Carolina/Colorado tier?

fm

Jul 28, 2016
I'd love Bourque. Think you'd need to package a first - Nils seems like a great fit but probably wouldn't move their needle much. What, 4 years or 5 years since draft?

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
At that point you sign him and let him play.

Once he's signed and playing in the NHL the value changes significantly
Exactly. Anderson was actually a "bust" on top of the fact that his upside was middle six. Yes you trade that sort of asset for a second rounder.
Kravtsov was once considered the best prospect outside of the NHL. That many NHL scouts are not THAT wrong. He WILL be an NHL player, and his upside is a two way first line winger. IMO trading him for a second is super weak. It's a sucker move. If you cant get more than that for him, just keep him and see what you end up with. Maybe trade him, if he doesn't fit in here, when his league wide value comes up and teams aren't trying to roll you on it. Odds are way better than hitting on a second. Thankfully, I'm very confident that the NYR front office will not make that kind of mistake.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

Lundkvist for Bourque.

Dallas likes European D.

Miller and Schneider's rookie years are not comparable. KAM wasn't great but he wasn't a flat out liability. I think a lot of think Schneider is a great prospect and he's shown a lot of A skills in his time in the NHL. His skating is good, his passing is solid, he has good offensive instincts, he's physical, etc. But he literally cannot defend at the NHL level right now and it's OK to admit that it was likely a mistake thinking he would be anything but a liability in the playoffs. Right now, his awareness, positioning on the rush, and edge work are horrible; it's a free zone entry against him basically every time. He has a really hard time keeping up with attacking forwards and frequently gets spun around by even low skill guys. The good news is that can be taught, but it's reality right now.

I think he's going to be really good and just needs some good coaching and work invested in him. I just think a lot of posters cling too much to what KAM's rookie year was like when in reality they are not comparable in any way.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I would resign Copp and Motte to 5 and 1.75 if possible.

What else do we need to do to take the next step and reach the Florida/Tampa/Carolina/Colorado tier?

Improvement on the 3rd pairing and more secondary scoring from Lafreniere and Kakko, plus a solid shut down center.

Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Improvement on the 3rd pairing and more secondary scoring from Lafreniere and Kakko, plus a solid shut down center.

And again, much of what we are outlining could be filled internally if given the right opportunity.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere
Panarin-Copp-Kaako
Goodrow-Chytil-Kravtsov
Hunt-_______-Blais
Brodzinski

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Lindgren-Schneider
_________

This fits under the cap quite nicely.

I also love @RangerBoy's idea of Lundkvist to Dallas. It does fill a need down there and he provides cap certainty on their back-end. Get someone like Bourque and let him marinate for the season in the AHL.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Lundkvist for Bourque.

Dallas likes European D.

I dont want bourque. I'd try and make a big move and package both nils and vk for johnson.
We'd probably lose the trade even if johnson is a 2c, but we're trading from strength and for need.

Reactions: bhamill

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
And again, much of what we are outlining could be filled internally if given the right opportunity.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere
Panarin-Copp-Kaako
Goodrow-Chytil-Kravtsov
Hunt-_______-Blais
Brodzinski

Miller-Fox
Jones-Trouba
Lindgren-Schneider
_________

This fits under the cap quite nicely.

I also love @RangerBoy's idea of Lundkvist to Dallas. It does fill a need down there and he provides cap certainty on their back-end. Get someone like Bourque and let him marinate for the season in the AHL.

It's well under the cap but we need a lot more veteran depth than that.

Vatrano, Motte, Braun finally got us the depth we needed but you don't want to have to be adding several rentals at every deadline.

I'd love to find a way to upgrade from Kevin Rooney. I like your D pairings a lot- I think Jones-Trouba has mad potential, but NYR are going to want a serious 7D option with that youth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad