Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXVII

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
No one would be questioning us drafting Laffy over Byfield if we could develop our young forwards...

BUT we can't...

SOOOOOOO now folks 2nd guess us drafting #1 overall and taking the by far consensus #1
Wait what? Who is questioning us drafting Laffy over Byfield? Hahaha. Byield hasnt looked anywhere near as good as Lafreniere or shown as much as fellow 2nd overall Kakko did comparing their D+1,2 seasons.
edit: never mind I see the post. Insanity.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Backlund is the type of thinking the team needs to use,, but Calgary will keep him. Monahan in the last year of his contract isn't a horrible idea. We could likely be paid to take him with a 2nd pick or maybe a pretty good prospect. If he gets hurt again then you LTIR him, or if he is bad, you just sit him/dump him at the deadline as part of a different move. It's not a big risk but it has high potential reward. And again, we recoup some of the draft capital we just lost this deadline.

Stay away from Malkin.

Keep it simple. Don't try to be the smartest guy in the room. I am a fan of this type of offseason too.
Monahan is a worse Strome that doesn’t have chemistry with Panarin. If they can get Backlund out of Calgary, that’s the move. Not touching Monahan just because Calgary trying to cut cap. Also no on Malkin. Can’t get slower.

Reactions: MrAlmost

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Sign Kakko 2 years $2.4M per.
Sign Charlie Lindgren 1 year $850K.

Trade Nemeth and Georgiev to Buffalo for a 2022 3rd.

Trade Gauthier to Montreal for 2023 4th.

Find a taker for Hajek, cut him, or bring him back at league minimum to be your spare D.

At that point, your team looks like this.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Lafreniere
Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
Blais - Goodrow - Kravtsov
Hunt - Rydahl - Reaves

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Jones - Schneider

Shesterkin
Lindgren

$7.68M in cap space to make improvements. Use it for a 1-2 year deals, nothing crazy, to make some improvements. Find your own version of Corey Perry. Bump Hunt to spare forward and Rydahl to spare or AHL. Bump Goodrow to 4th line. I don’t mind Blais opening on line 3. That’s not a terrible spot to be in. Almost $25M in cap space for 2023 off-season. Lock up Miller and Lafreniere. Figure the rest out after.
I love this, and if you take a slight step back because the kid’s don’t take off, so be it. At least you gave it a shot. I happen to think it’s time, though. I love this idea. Great post.

Reactions: jerseyjinx94

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I do not expect them to even entertain trading Panarin, so then what? Have to build a line around him that make sense. And I mean for the PLAYOFFS.

That said, I have no good answers, other than it can't be Strome or the next Strome.
They need to put him with defensively responsible, speedy linemates and limit his time 5 on 5. Play the full two minutes on the PP, fine. But the kids need to be playing more 5 on 5 from here on out.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Saw this on twitter and found it interesting. What they forgot to mention is that his bio didn’t have Chicago before, but it had LA. I get he’s from Chicago but it is a bit strange to remove the team he’s playing for to his hometown, could just have both in it. The IG story of Wiggins is a huge stretch though

Turcotte+ for Kakko? That + being Moore, Lizotte, Iafallo would make sense, Lizotte and Iafallo specifically as we’d have to add a B level piece at least if we want them to add Moore

Turcotte+ for Dach or DeBrincat makes a lot of sense for both sides. Lots of speculation about DeBrincat to LAK too. I’d say this is the likely outcome

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Doesnt LAK have a lot of defensive d prospects? Couldn’t they use a Jones or Lundkvist? For Turcotte?
Makes no sense for LA. They aren’t rebuilding anymore. If they are to monetize their ELC’s it’ll be for a win-now player

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
Question for you guys that follow the team and the prospects more closely than I do.

Weren't the wolfpack pretty bad last season? And if they were, what does that tell us about our D prospects (JOnes, Lundqvist and Robertson)?

TIA.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Saw RyJo mentioned on the main boards as a center option. It seems more realistic if Nashville misses out on Forsberg and looks to rebuild. I’d consider this deal.

RyJo (50% retained 4M x 3 years)

for

Nils Lundkvist
Brett Berard
Patrick Nemeth

That’s something we may be able to squeeze in nicely with our upcoming cap crunch. Johansen had a real fine year.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
forget Malkin, he is slow and expensive, Rangers have enough slow and expensive.
I should preface, this is meant to be a tongue-in-cheek post

I think the only reason Malkin comes up is that 1) he is EVGENI MALKIN and 2) there is this fantasy world where he comes in at a not-expensive number. I don't see how that will happen but weirder stuff has happened in free agency (see Kariya/Selanne in COL). 3) Russian-line-chemistry fetishism. Sorry, maybe not a fetish. More like a weird pokemon set collection fixation from the days of the Red Wings Russian 5 or the Rangers Czechmates. a Panarin-Malkin-Kravtsov line matches that pattern (can the kid even make the lineup? let alone the top 6? well he can if we force him into a Russian line confirmation bias!). There is part of our lizard-brain that will glom on to that idea. 4) The Rangers have enough slow and expensive and GG got us to the ECF so if Malkin isn't expensive, why should slow be an issue? If more slow is what it takes to ELECTRIFY Panarin's game, then I'm all for it!

Reactions: LannyMcdonald

Cruxial

Nov 2, 2007

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
so many of these teams share buildings and ownerships
but in some way, leagues are worlds apart

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Saw RyJo mentioned on the main boards as a center option. It seems more realistic if Nashville misses out on Forsberg and looks to rebuild. I’d consider this deal.

for

Nils Lundkvist
Brett Berard
Patrick Nemeth

That’s something we may be able to squeeze in nicely with our upcoming cap crunch. Johansen had a real fine year.
good player that would be a steal. I would do that deal and not look back. What would it take to add Tanner Jeanott. He is a scrappy 3rd line player. Rangers need that type in the line.

Jones for Jeanott added to this?

Tanner Jeanott
for

Nils Lundkvist
Brett Berard
Patrick Nemeth
Zac Jones

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

for

Nils Lundkvist
Brett Berard
Patrick Nemeth

Bugs Bunny No GIF - Bugs Bunny Bunny No - Discover & Share GIFs

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Saw this on twitter and found it interesting. What they forgot to mention is that his bio didn’t have Chicago before, but it had LA. I get he’s from Chicago but it is a bit strange to remove the team he’s playing for to his hometown, could just have both in it. The IG story of Wiggins is a huge stretch though

Turcotte+ for Kakko? That + being Moore, Lizotte, Iafallo would make sense, Lizotte and Iafallo specifically as we’d have to add a B level piece at least if we want them to add Moore

Turcotte+ for Dach or DeBrincat makes a lot of sense for both sides. Lots of speculation about DeBrincat to LAK too. I’d say this is the likely outcome

I’d move Kravtsov for Turcotte but LA likely wants a D like Lundqvist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad