Speculation: Roster Building Thread - Part XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
I don't think we should look at the kind of centers like Larkin, J.T. Miller, Scheifele etc, but more like a 22-26 year old that is just "good enough" to play 5v5 on the second line. Try to find a new Brassard kind of deal where we get a player with decent 5v5 abilities that can team up with Panarin at 5v5 and use Laf/Kakko to fill Stromes space on PP1.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
$82.5M for next season. $83.5M for 23-24. $84.5M for 24-25.

???? for 25-26.
They are forecasting revenue around $6B by then.

$3B Player share ( 50% of 6B) - $200M benefit costs ( complete guess ) = 2.8B / 32 teams = $87.5M = midpoint x 15% = $100M cap limit.

My bro science math tells me it'd be $95-100M

Last edited:

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Every other club will also have Cap woes....including most contenders . Has anybody actually looked and charted the possible contenders for next season and deduced what they were up against with roster spots and money available ?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Every other club will also have Cap woes....including most contenders . Has anybody actually looked and charted the possible contenders for next season and deduced what they were up against with roster spots and money available ?
If we can make it through the next 3 years... we're golden. ( as in, keeping the core together ) It may take bridging a lot of our young kids.

I can see Laffy and/or KAM getting locked up long term.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
When the cap increases, it’s going to jump quickly. The way for a team like the Rangers and others to make this work is going to be to give term to lower cap hits. It’s going to make people uncomfortable but giving someone like Copp 6 years and Motte 4-5 years is the answer. The last portion of their deals will see their cap hits as a much smaller percentage of the cap due to the increase and the players get both security and the overall money their looking for. We already saw that plan with Goodrow last offseason.

Copp
6 years at $4.5-4.8m

Motte
4 years at $1.75m

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
If we can make it work, I’m all about a longer term deal for Kakko. I know it’s a risk, but would love to see something like 4m x 6 years. Don’t know if he’d take it. We need a total steal of a contract on the books. Would move out Nemeth, Reaves, and go low low low on contracts for remaining supporting cast to make it work.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
When the cap increases, it’s going to jump quickly. The way for a team like the Rangers and others to make this work is going to be to give term to lower cap hits. It’s going to make people uncomfortable but giving someone like Copp 6 years and Motte 4-5 years is the answer. The last portion of their deals will see their cap hits as a much smaller percentage of the cap due to the increase and the players get both security and the overall money their looking for. We already saw that plan with Goodrow last offseason.

Copp
6 years at $4.5-4.8m

Motte
4 years at $1.75m

Giving out long term deals now will look like steals when the cap rises dramatically later.

To that extent it might be worth having a little pain to get Kakko and Laf locked up long term.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn

Copp
6 years at $4.5-4.8m

Motte
4 years at $1.75m
You absolutely do not lock up a player like Motte for 4+ years.

4th liners always look good in the first few games. Hell, you have people penciling in Brodzinski for an extended term (think of how good Hunt looked for his first 10 games). These type of players always have jump in the early going, but you shouldn't be locking up these parts of the team for extended periods.

Teams need roster flexibility and a place for prospects/hungry players to graduate.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

4th liners always look good in the first few games. Hell, you have people penciling in Brodzinski for an extended term (think of how good Hunt looked for his first 10 games). These type of players always have jump in the early going, but you shouldn't be locking up these parts of the team for extended periods.

Teams need roster flexibility and a place for prospects/hungry players to graduate.

There's also no point in signing these guys long term because if you need them for the playoffs you can always deal a 4th round pick for them at the deadline like we just did and then you don't have to risk a long term commitment.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Giving out long term deals now will look like steals when the cap rises dramatically later.

To that extent it might be worth having a little pain to get Kakko and Laf locked up long term.
Can't imagine either of those players sign those kind of deals. They know the same thing you do, that the cap is going to go up. Why would they shoot themselves in the foot?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
How much does Chychrun at 50% cost?

Lindgren's game has fallen apart. He's trying to play like Fox and he's not that guy. His offensive instincts are bad.

KAM Trouba
Chychrun Fox
Lindgren Schneids

that's a strong unit

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
I would like to see them bring vatrano back next year. Very curious if KK is on this team next year. If there is a reconciliation with kravy for 2 yr 1m/per or something and they think he is ready to contribute is KK really going back to the 1st line? Vatrano has shown more than KK ever has in a top 6 role - sorry to say it. I think a team like edmonton would trade a first + for KK - would be a good return

Reactions: Blais to Win

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Vatrano is a decent player on a hot run with the new team. The sheen on him will wear off by the time the playoff run is over. He's the last player of the new acquisitions I look to bring back. You bring Brennan Othmann in next year on an ELC and he can do the same job.

I want to see Kakko on a line with Panarin and Copp centering them when healthy. If the shoe fits, that's your second line next year. The Rangers need to find a way to get Lafreniere more ice time. He's starting to get it.

Don't galaxy brain it. Give Copp a fair number for 5 years during this group's contention window and get to work. Let the young wingers on ELC's fill in the gaps during the open window. Maybe bring Motte back, but you need to find a way to get Reaves' cap off the books.

Reaves looks gassed. He hasn't been an everyday player his whole career and he comes to New York and now at 35 you're expecting him to play 80 games? No way man. I'm looking at the schedule for the next couple of weeks and the rest of the year. You play him against the Islanders on Friday and rest him until the next Islanders game on April 21. Maybe the Bruins and Caps on the 23rd and 29th too. There's no reason he needs to play against Detroit, Philly, Jersey, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Ottawa, or Carolina.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Vatrano is a decent player on a hot run with the new team. The sheen on him will wear off by the time the playoff run is over. He's the last player of the new acquisitions I look to bring back. You bring Brennan Othmann in next year on an ELC and he can do the same job.

I want to see Kakko on a line with Panarin and Copp centering them when healthy. If the shoe fits, that's your second line next year. The Rangers need to find a way to get Lafreniere more ice time. He's starting to get it.

Don't galaxy brain it. Give Copp a fair number for 5 years during this group's contention window and get to work. Let the young wingers on ELC's fill in the gaps during the open window. Maybe bring Motte back, but you need to find a way to get Reaves' cap off the books.

Reaves looks gassed. He hasn't been an everyday player his whole career and he comes to New York and now at 35 you're expecting him to play 80 games? No way man. I'm looking at the schedule for the next couple of weeks and the rest of the year. You play him against the Islanders on Friday and rest him until the next Islanders game on April 21. Maybe the Bruins and Caps on the 23rd and 29th too. There's no reason he needs to play against Detroit, Philly, Jersey, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Ottawa, or Carolina.
Disagree. Vatrano is a speed demon that can pot 20-25 goals with a good shot and looks like a good fit. If it's between Vatrano and Motte, I think I bring back Vatrano.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

Agree on all fronts.

Edit - except Motte is a guy I would pretty aggressively try to retain if he keeps this up.

Reactions: Kupo

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Disagree. Vatrano is a speed demon that can pot 20-25 goals with a good shot and looks like a good fit. If it's between Vatrano and Motte, I think I bring back Vatrano.
If that's what he really is, he'll definitely be priced out anyway. Vatrano and Motte are two totally different players.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Honestly my thought is move panarin up with mika and ck. If theres a player ck should move right for it would be panarin.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

I agree with most of this but not about Vatrano. He's a shoot first guy and sorely needed when we have so many guys that look to pass and he has speed also. His 5 goals in 5 games are no accident. He's been impressive. I would look to sign all 3 of Copp, Vatrano, and Motte if possible. Let Strome, Geo and Rooney walk, trade Nemeth, don't sign Blais.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

This isn’t new for Motte though. He’s been playing this for a couple of years.

The team has found their new Fast, they should learn from past mistakes and keep him.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I would like to see them bring vatrano back next year. Very curious if KK is on this team next year. If there is a reconciliation with kravy for 2 yr 1m/per or something and they think he is ready to contribute is KK really going back to the 1st line? Vatrano has shown more than KK ever has in a top 6 role - sorry to say it. I think a team like edmonton would trade a first + for KK - would be a good return
No way in hell that we should trade Kakko because of Vatrano. That's a ridiculous take. I'll also be very surprised if Kravtsov plays another game for this organization.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The more I watch this current team, I am thinking that Kakko is going to have to sing for his supper when he comes back. I've not advocating that he be moved but I can very clearly see a scenario where it could happen.
Rooney-Brodzinski-Kakko checking line 4 incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad