Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXXIII: Goals. Goals Everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Im serious when I say this... I know STL desperately needs LD as bad as we need RD. Staal has played well this year. Staal and a 2nd/3rd for Shattenkirk. Armstrong is TERRIBLE when it comes to making deals. Not that this would be as bad of a deal as everyone thinks.

Can't see them doing that this deadline, they won't be locking to downgrade their team. And after this sesaon can they pay him? Send him for the rights to Shattenkirk.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Can't see them doing that this deadline, they won't be locking to downgrade their team. And after this sesaon can they pay him? Send him for the rights to Shattenkirk.

How is that any different? St. Louis is barely a contender at the moment. Shattenkirk looks more and more like he will be dealt.

Although, McKenzie just contradicted what he said about a week ago. Last week he made it seem like the Rangers were going to heavily pursue Shattenkirk. Tonight he made it seem like it wasn't a possibility due to what it will cost to land him. Said we will look for a Nick Holden type option.

He is giving mixed signals.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
How is that any different? St. Louis is barely a contender at the moment. Shattenkirk looks more and more like he will be dealt.

Although, McKenzie just contradicted what he said about a week ago. Last week he made it seem like the Rangers were going to heavily pursue Shattenkirk. Tonight he made it seem like it wasn't a possibility due to what it will cost to land him. Said we will look for a Nick Holden type option.

Why would you make the choice to enter the play offs with a worse team even if you aren't likely to contend for the cup?

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Im serious when I say this... I know STL desperately needs LD as bad as we need RD. Staal has played well this year. Staal and a 2nd/3rd for Shattenkirk. Armstrong is TERRIBLE when it comes to making deals. Not that this would be as bad of a deal as everyone thinks.

Agree completely with this.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

A Nick Holden type in the sense that he could be a fill in level top 4 guy would be good as long as it's not the same skill set. It's gotta be someone who can move but most importantly be able to eat minutes next to McDonagh.

Right now the 2nd pairing is fine Staal-Holden. The 3rd pair can be Skjei-Clendening, hopefully, but I'm gonna guess it will be Skjei-G or Klein.

If they can get someone who can play next to McDonagh at a better level than Girardi or Klein were, that will help greatly.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
A Nick Holden type in the sense that he could be a fill in level top 4 guy would be good as long as it's not the same skill set. It's gotta be someone who can move but most importantly be able to eat minutes next to McDonagh.

Right now the 2nd pairing is fine Staal-Holden. The 3rd pair can be Skjei-Clendening, hopefully, but I'm gonna guess it will be Skjei-G or Klein.

If they can get someone who can play next to McDonagh at a better level than Girardi or Klein were, that will help greatly.

Question is, who fits the bill as a "right-handed Holden?"

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brooks wrote the same thing McKenzie reported a few days ago. Why would the Rangers trade for Shattenkirk? The Rangers may not even want to meet the asking price for the contract. It sounds like the Rangers would take Shattenkirk as a free agent if the contract is right. Term. AAV. The Rangers are not getting into a crazy bidding war for Shattenkirk. He is not Bobby Orr. Dreger is the one with the sign and trade possible deals for Shattenkirk. He would play for eight teams. That is so complicated. LeBrun wrote that was not happening in season. Pierre wrote the Blues could get a conditional pick based on Shattenkirk signing with that team. Brooks has written about the Rangers bring leery about paying Shattenkirk market value. 7 years. $45M plus. More. He could get much more. As McKenzie said the Blues want a lot for Shattenkirk and the Rangers aren't interested in trading away those players. McKenzie said the Rangers bought years in the Zibanejad trade and they don't want to trade their first round picks. They added Vesey. Buchnevich. Kreider is finally coming into his own. Miller and Hayes have taken the next step. Trade them for someone who will be a free agent this summer and the Rangers not even be interested in paying Shattenkirk full market value. The Rangers need to make the Brassard for Zibanejad trade with Zuccarello. The Rangers bought 6 years in the trade with Ottawa. Are the Rangers re-signing Zuccarello? He will be 32 at the start of the next contract. Newport Sports will get one more good contract for Zuccarello. The Rangers are better off trading him between now/deadline and this summer.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers are off until Monday. The NHL CBA gives them 3 days off for the All Star weekend. The Rangers had 3 days off for Christmas. The bye week. 4 full days. 11 full days off in the last month. This schedule sucks. The NHL is playing the ASG in a World Cup year. The Rangers

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Brooks wrote the same thing McKenzie reported a few days ago. Why would the Rangers trade for Shattenkirk? The Rangers may not even want to meet the asking price for the contract. It sounds like the Rangers would take Shattenkirk as a free agent if the contract is right. Term. AAV. The Rangers are not getting into a crazy bidding war for Shattenkirk. He is not Bobby Orr. Dreger is the one with the sign and trade possible deals for Shattenkirk. He would play for eight teams. That is so complicated. LeBrun wrote that was not happening in season. Pierre wrote the Blues could get a conditional pick based on Shattenkirk signing with that team. Brooks has written about the Rangers bring leery about paying Shattenkirk market value. 7 years. $45M plus. More. He could get much more. As McKenzie said the Blues want a lot for Shattenkirk and the Rangers aren't interested in trading away those players. McKenzie said the Rangers bought years in the Zibanejad trade and they don't want to trade their first round picks. They added Vesey. Buchnevich. Kreider is finally coming into his own. Miller and Hayes have taken the next step. Trade them for someone who will be a free agent this summer and the Rangers not even be interested in paying Shattenkirk full market value. The Rangers need to make the Brassard for Zibanejad trade with Zuccarello. The Rangers bought 6 years in the trade with Ottawa. Are the Rangers re-signing Zuccarello? He will be 32 at the start of the next contract. Newport Sports will get one more good contract for Zuccarello. The Rangers are better off trading him between now/deadline and this summer.

Depending on what Zuccarello was asking for, I'd re-sign him if he were still in NY.

Nash is the guy to move. Retain half, see if multiple teams would be interested.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Depending on what Zuccarello was asking for, I'd re-sign him if he were still in NY.

Nash is the guy to move. Retain half, see if multiple teams would be interested.

Agree on Nash, but if there's a Brass-Zib deal out there for Zuccarello, I pull the trigger on that without hesitation, especially if we can get a young defender.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Ron Hainsey? I know he gets **** on pretty regularly, but he plays a lot of minutes and the underlying stats aren't terrible.

the fact that he is left-handed takes him out of the race for a right handed holden

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Are the Rangers re-signing Zuccarello? He will be 32 at the start of the next contract. Newport Sports will get one more good contract for Zuccarello.

Yeah you are right. Zooks has always been about signing big money contracts. I'm starting to think you want to trade Zooks. If I'm wrong please say so but I just got that feeling after your 517th post saying to trade Zooks. Call it a hunch on my part. I say we just cut the greedy guy. He has hurt the team too much already the last 4 years. Am I right?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You have to trade Zucc this summer have to. He will never be as valuable as he is right now. Should have done it last summer. Get another young stud we are loaded up front. Puempel is a player even. He's got a future here

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You have to trade Zucc this summer have to. He will never be as valuable as he is right now. Should have done it last summer.

How can Zooks have any value? You repeatedly said he was horrible last season and you said he was horrible the last two months so based on your excellent judgement of hockey players he must be horrible.
We know you have excellent judgement after your saying we need to cut Fast/Grabner to keep Gerbe over the summer. Those posts plus your posting that Pirri is a top 6 player this summer show that you are a top notch hockey talent scout.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If a move for a big name player is not made I could see a set of deals like this done.

We trade 4th line forward for 4th or 5th round pick.

We trade a 3rd pairing dman for a 4th round pick or 5th round pick.

We trade our 3rd round pick and the two picks obtained in trades for another defensemen

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
as good as nash looks this season, and he looks very good, hes the guy thats gotta be moved.

preferably to a team out west thats close and in return for a RHD.

ill eat crow on nash but its a win win for us. though i was wrong about him- he looks faster, more engaged and does everything this season with quickness and more urgency, hes the one who's got to be moved. the better he plays, the better chance hes moved.

i keep zuc over nash 10 outa 10 times. zuc is my favorite nyr player. period.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
What's a package like Gropp + 2nd rounder get us at the deadline for a rental?

Separate thought:

RHD UFA:

Wideman (CGY unlikely to sell)
Stone (terrible)
Franson (sucks, for some reason that I'm unaware of)
Postma (not good)

Does TML, who under utilize Carrick, look to trade him for a perceived more steady/reliable option on the backend like Klein as they make a run to the playoffs for the first time in forever?

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Gropp has no value at this point. He hasn't progressed at all since his draft year. We're better off holding onto him and seeing if he can put it all together. There are plenty of other prospects that could act as a throw-in if that's what your deal calls for.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Pleased with Bobby Mac's report about the Rangers not wanting to move significant pieces for deadline acquisitions. Not sure if there's a player out there available for a mid-round pick that bolsters the RHD at all, but more power to Gorton if he can find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad