Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Chytil is a world class talent but it's a raw talent. I'd like him, to take simple assignments and build confidence while mistakes are covered. The RW next to Kreider and Zibanejad is just about the easiest place in the league to be. Let him start there while he hones the pro game. If it goes well, he centers next year.

Andersson is very much the opposite. Already polished player who just needs time to grow into himself. I think we should develop him similar to Horvat or Couturier. Let him center a lower line and teach him defense first. I'm not saying give him the hardest assignments, but let him rack up D-zone starts and give him a sense of responsibility and importance. Don't force him to go 200 feet until his skating improves. No expectations on his production.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We have a lot of young D who are basically the same age. Enough Hartford spots for Lindgren, Hajek, Day and Crawley? O'Gara and Gilmour probably aren't making the Rangers, maybe one could be 7D. Sproul and Bigras are good AAAA players but I guess guys like that move every offseason.

I'd like DD back as 13th forward but I get why it wouldn't be popular. Maybe I'm remembering that one goofy Kreider-Desharnais-Buchnevich game too much.

Much rather keep Spooner than Namestnikov, even if his return is higher. Just reminds me too much of the Vegas guys.
Desharnais did fine and pretty much was what he was asked to be. I felt he was a bit of a scapegoat.

No problem with having him as a backup.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
I saw Jagr play here in Calgary a few games. He had truly reached a point where he could not keep his game going. He is such a hard worker and has so much integrity. Even though Rangers are my passion, I obviously see Flames games and wanted him to have a success story here. It was not to be, and Jaromir knew it.

So, there would be no reason to do this; not for NYR or for Jaromir Jagr.

Yeah I know it was one of those late night rangers aren't in the playoffs let's think of weird stuff moment lol, maybe mentally going to Calgary and playing for nothing meaningful the last few years with Florida n Calgary crippled his passion for it and he's done it all so yeah he's done. It was just a why not thing since next year is gonna be a year of us all saying I can't wait till next year. 19-20 to me is going to be the beginning of this new roster with the kids and whoever we bring in by then so I figured what the hell why not next year

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
We all love Zucc, but the management needs to make smart decisions. We need right handed forwards and defensemen. If we can pull Foote+Raddysh for MZA, our future looks a lot better than if we let Zucc walk or pay him through the nose.

We'd get a 3RW and likely a middle pair RD. Just what we need. Having more of the guys who can fill up the middle of the lineup allows Gorts to take boom/bust swings. Instead of using our late firsts to try to get another Raddysh-like player, he can use those picks to try to get another Chytil.
They wouldn’t give us Foote for McDonagh, so it sure as hell ain’t happening for Zucc. You might need to tone down your expectations a bit because we aren’t getting two top prospects or two firsts for Zucc.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
He looked good to me in his one game here. Could be bottom six next season.

Not to single you out, but any time I hear or read "could be a bottom six guy for us" - it's a translation of "I don't think much of him and bottom six isn't that important so sure why not"

As I said in another post re: Matt Martin, every spot must be useful. 4th line forwards are crucial. There are no throwaway spots.

Maroon's time is behind him. We do not want him.

Reactions: egelband

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Not to single you out, but any time I hear or read "could be a bottom six guy for us" - it's a translation of "I don't think much of him and bottom six isn't that important so sure why not"

As I said in another post re: Matt Martin, every spot must be useful. 4th line forwards are crucial. There are no throwaway spots.

Maroon's time is behind him. We do not want him.
Not maroon, Beleskey

Reactions: Alexei Kovalev 27

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
This is true, although I think he can look specifically for guys who play with a bit more of an edge and still play a role on a winning team. Komarov. Roussel. Even Filpulla plays with a bit of an edge (compared to DD). It doesn't need to be (1) specific player, but there needs to be some thought put into getting the team as a whole to bring more energy on a consistent basis. It's both a coaching and a personnel issue
I think Michael Ferland from Calgary fits that description.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
#1 - hopefully land a top 3 pick in the draft lotto scheme.
Trade Zucc, Spooner along with one of OGara, Gilmour or Nieves. Try to unload Smith too, eating some salary.
Resign the other RFAs to reasonable deals
Let all the UFAs walk. Maybe keep a vet or two for Hartford that can move up if need be. (Sproul/Carey/Holland ?)
Maybe sign another long shot like Lindkvist, be it a college player or European
Invite Tchakev to camp.
Acquire assets.
Draft wisely, moving up or down and/or trading at given opportune times
Sign a few shorter term UFAs. Kovalchuk, j Moore and JVR perhaps if he takes a Shatty type deal.
Come to camp prepared with a new coaching staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola and GAGLine

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Small sample size watching this years playoffs but Trouba is so so considering how much some Ranger fans want him
Trouba has had injury problems all season and has been rushed back more than once. He hasn't been able to get a good run of form.

That being said the guy just turned 24 a month and a half ago, he is tepid (at best) about being in Winnipeg, and he still has upside. If anything Winnipeg is just dealing with his growing pains. Would take him on the Rangers in a heart beat.

Reactions: jas

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Kings have 11 players left from their Cup winning team 4 years ago. They need to break up that team. Doughty will get a huge long term contract offer to stay in LA this summer. They already have $72M committed for next season. LA scored three goals in a sweep to an expansion team.

The Ducks have so much money tied up in three aging forwards. Getzlaf,Perry and Kesler. Anaheim is basically stuck with the same team which loses every year. They can't break up the team and lose with different players.

The Caps are the same thing. Carlson is going to get a massive contract this summer. The Caps are screwed both ways. Pay him or lose him. He will get 7 years as a free agent. Crazy money. The Caps can't replace him. They gave a 31 year old TJ Oshie 8 years. Good luck to them.

Gorton made the right decision to begin the process of rebuilding. Avoid those long term contracts to players in their late twenties to mid thirties. Break it down and start fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad