Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Would much rather him address the lack of skill. Seems like a bigger priority, to me, but what do I know.
Volume shooters, baby. That being said, I don’t think Gorton means grit like Roussel. I think he means that he wants his teams to show up and skate whistle-to-whistle. That can be coached, and it doesn’t require a specific type of player.

Reactions: silverfish

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's not binary in the sense that we don't have to target only tough players or only skilled players, but it is binary in the sense that the tough & skilled players are not readily available in the league.

This is true, although I think he can look specifically for guys who play with a bit more of an edge and still play a role on a winning team. Komarov. Roussel. Even Filpulla plays with a bit of an edge (compared to DD). It doesn't need to be (1) specific player, but there needs to be some thought put into getting the team as a whole to bring more energy on a consistent basis. It's both a coaching and a personnel issue

Reactions: belford222

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Volume shooters, baby. That being said, I don’t think Gorton means grit like Roussel. I think he means that he wants his teams to show up and skate whistle-to-whistle. That can be coached, and it doesn’t require a specific type of player.
Hopefully it won't mean Tkachuk in the draft, not a big fan when I look at the other possibilities.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Would anyone be interested in Evander Kane as a UFA? Say 4 years @ $5.5m? We've discussed this before but having both Kreider and Kane on the left wing would be a lot for any team to handle. He would add some swagger and grit to the top-6 and he would cost no assets but $.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Would anyone be interested in Evander Kane as a UFA? Say 4 years @ $5.5m? We've discussed this before but having both Kreider and Kane on the left wing would be a lot for any team to handle. He would add some swagger and grit to the top-6 and he would cost no assets but $.

In NYC?

No, not really.

I could see that getting ugly in short order.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I'm not seeing the reason to pass on a player like Tkachuk. Can someone explain this to me? He outscored Kreider as a draft eligible player compared to Kreider's D+1 and D+2 seasons. Is it just his skating?
Mainly because I like Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Whalstrom, Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes more.
Also, I think Tkachuk will be more of a complementary player than a first liner stud.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I'd love to add that type of player but not him.

He should stay in San Jose.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Mainly because I like Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Whalstrom, Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes more.
Also, I think Tkachuk will be more of a complementary player than a first liner stud.
Disagree about Tkachuk, and I’ve made that clear in the draft thread. There’s been this weird stigma built around him this year, and it’s unwarranted. His skill as a playmaker gets completely overlooked just because he didn’t play in juniors and pot 100 points like his brother did. He would’ve DEMOLISHED the USDP this year considering he 25-29-54 in 61 games there last yeae on a worse team. His brother played with Auston Matthews on a much better WJC team too. Imagine if Brady played with Marner and Dvorak in London?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Don't see Kane leaving. He's having a ton of success there. He also fits the age group of Couture, Pavelski, Burns, and Vlasic. He'd help them stay contenders for another 3-4 years with a new deal.

JVR coming here would be more likely. I'd prefer neither. Get Kovalchuk for a few seasons, at the same rate, and they can have the extra space when they are really ready to contend.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Yes plz

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm not seeing the reason to pass on a player like Tkachuk. Can someone explain this to me? He outscored Kreider as a draft eligible player compared to Kreider's D+1 and D+2 seasons. Is it just his skating?
Depends on the pick imo. People are wary of the possibility of his name knocking him up a few slots and using our highest pick in forever on a guy who might only be in the conversation at that spot because of his last time.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I don’t see Gorton interested in going near Kane. He just traded Miller with concerns over the impact on younger players. Not a chance they go after him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don’t see Gorton interested in going near Kane. He just traded Miller with concerns over the impact on younger players. Not a chance they go after him.

Kind of view it as moot point myself. I'd be shocked if Kane is on their short list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad