Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
The Rangers would be stupid not to give Smith a chance. And a lot of it has nothing to do with his play.

1)We're paying him

2)We have arguably the worst D corps in the league. What competition is keeping him out?
Under a different coach and hopefully a better defensive system Smith might actually be decent next year

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Under a different coach and hopefully a better defensive system Smith might actually be decent next year

I don’t think the coach or D system is going to have any impact on Smith next year.

If he’s got his head on straight and puts in the work, he’ll be decent next year. Even if AV were coming back next year, that would be the case.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018

Lets not mix Smith's lack of preparation with AV's ineptitude. Two separate points, right?

1. Smith arriving at camp in shape to be an NHL player.
2. The AV exit/new defensive system for 18-19.

Reactions: Avery16

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Lets not mix Smith's lack of preparation with AV's ineptitude. Two separate points, right?

1. Smith arriving at camp in shape to be an NHL player.
2. The AV exit/new defensive system for 18-19.
I think both played a part in Smith not having a good season. Hopefully he cuts down on the amount of weddings he goes to over the off-season

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I think both played a part in Smith not having a good season. Hopefully he cuts down on the amount of weddings he goes to over the off-season

We're not disagreeing. There's no excuse for Smith to come into 17-18 like a fat frat boy. He can make it right. AV's departure should be good news for the entire defense.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The Rangers would be stupid not to give Smith a chance. And a lot of it has nothing to do with his play.

1)We're paying him

2)We have arguably the worst D corps in the league. What competition is keeping him out?
I would agree. Though Smith might not have been a good signing, he has been a decent NHL defenseman his entire life before this season. No reason not to see if he could get back to that level, if for nothing else but to raise his trade value somewhat.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

1)We're paying him

We gave him a few chances, and I’m pretty sure he’ll get another one at training camp. I’d rather have a scratch off ticket though. I’m just saying no one should be counting on him for anything.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
That whole thing was just an excuse. Weddings never did that to anyone, and I’m no fan of weddings. He wasn’t a known quantity, we didn’t do our homework. We took some risks with Smith and we paid heavily for them.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Ryan Callahan scored 52 goals as an overager. Jonathan Marchessault scored 40 goals as an overager. Jordan Eberle scored 50 goals as an overager.

etc etc

In other words, there’s not much call for the negativity yet. You may be right in the end, but you’re not right yet. What other players did really has no bearing on Ty Ronning.

You're proving my point here. Everyone and his mother scores in the Juniors, particularly as overagers. The mere fact that someone scored doesn't really mean anything. Person after person after person, across half a dozen threads, is posting that PURELY BASED ON STATS and nothing else, they think Ronning can make the NHL next season. My point is that his stats don't mean jack. Had he scored 150 points, even 120 points, then maybe we could take notice. But the mere fact that a kid in his overager season scored 84 points in 70 games means nothing - almost every ECHL forward scored somewhere in the ballpark of 1.2 points per game in his last Junior season. Keegan Iverson scored 1.27 points per game as an overager and wound up an ECHL 4th liner. It doesn't mean that all who scored that amount will be an ECHLer, it just means that the mere fact that Ronning scored what he did means jack s--t.

I know the response to this will be, "you only care about stats and you're saying that unless someone scores 150 points, he's an ECHLer." This is obviously dishonest, which is why those disagreeing with what I just wrote will refuse to quote me and will re-state my comment in a dishonest way. Let's be very clear: I am not the one making the assessment that Ronning is awful based on his stats - all the people who think he can compete in the NHL next season are the ones basing it purely on stats. Based on watching Ronning in the WHL and his 3 AHL games this season, he is an ECHL player today. He was a downright anchor on his Pack line. His linemates pretty much never passed to him unless he got wide open near the net, treating him the way amateurs treat a new kid who can barely skate. He was ignored by linemates, lost without the puck, unable to carry the puck across the ice, repeatedly physically manhandled.

None of this was true for Cally and JAM. I pimped JAM so hard on this forum that a few people were making fun of me for it for a couple years after he left. If you find the old Pack thread from 2011-12, you'll see me pimping the 5-ft-9 JAM from the start, even before he ran up his numbers. That's because JAM, Cally looked amazing in Hartford from the first shift they took there. Ronning looks worse than ECHLers making their AHL debut for Hartford around the same time he came over from the WHL.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I would agree. Though Smith might not have been a good signing, he has been a decent NHL defenseman his entire life before this season. No reason not to see if he could get back to that level, if for nothing else but to raise his trade value somewhat.
He was *an* NHL defenseman for *parts of* *six* seasons on a *bad* team. There, I fixed it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
EDM is willing to give up their top pick for a scoring D men.

Shattenkirk can only block 10 teams. Shatty would score a lot of pts for EDM, fit in well there is a vet on a young talented team. He would make a lot of money on his next deal having McDavid boosted stats.

Gorts should sit down with Shatty and have him waive the NMC 7 days in advance to enable him to get moved to EDM.

Shatty for 9th overall.

He already blocked a sign and trade to Edmonton last year. He's not going there

Reactions: Phoicon

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Brendan Smith made the playoffs every year of his career outside of this year, but he's been playing for bad teams?
Yes. Detroit hasn’t threatened to do anything for a while now. They haven’t been past round two in the past decade. Also, in those six seasons with Detroit, Smith played in all of 27 playoff games, collecting a whopping six points.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Yes. Detroit hasn’t threatened to do anything for a while now. They haven’t been past round two in the past decade.
Smith was bad last year but who on defense wasn't, McDonagh? He deserves a second chance next year and its not like we can do much about it because hes under contract the next 3 years and buying him out would be a foolish move.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Made a conference final back in 2013. Smith was bad last year but who on defense wasn't, McDonagh? He deserves a second chance next year and its not like we can do much about it because hes under contract the next 3 years and buying him out would be a foolish move.
Excuse me? Detroit? Not since 2008-09.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Smith was bad last year but who on defense wasn't, McDonagh? He deserves a second chance next year and its not like we can do much about it because hes under contract the next 3 years and buying him out would be a foolish move.
He deserves nothing, certainly not the millions and millions we signed him for, but yes he will get a third chance. I am just saying, don’t count on him being any different.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Kreider Zib Kovy
JVR Chytil Zucc
Andersson Hayes Buch
Roussell Howden Fast

Skjei Karlsson
Dahlin Shattenkirk
Lindgren Pionk

Would be cool to see that team after the deadline...
Trade Spooner, Names
Sign Kovy, JVR, Roussell
Buyout Staal
Lindgren and Dahlin break camp
Howden late season call up after doing great in the AHL
Trade Hajek+prospect+2019 1st for Karlsson and then resign him
Win the Stanley cup, etc.....

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Kreider Zib Kovy
JVR Chytil Zucc
Andersson Hayes Buch
Roussell Howden Fast

Skjei Karlsson
Dahlin Shattenkirk
Lindgren Pionk

Would be cool to see that team after the deadline...
Trade Spooner, Names
Sign Kovy, JVR, Roussell
Buyout Staal
Lindgren and Dahlin break camp
Howden late season call up after doing great in the AHL
Trade Hajek+prospect+2019 1st for Karlsson and then resign him
Win the Stanley cup, etc.....
Howden and Lindgren are better off playing top minuets in the ahl than being stuck in bottom roles in the nhl

Reactions: Inferno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce