Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The young players will only defer to Nash if he and the coaching staff don’t tell them not to, which is also not his role. You can’t keep acting like there wouldn’t be any management of the situation. It’s a pretty weird assumption. I also have no idea why you would think he would be deferred to in that way when it wasn’t even the case this year.

Young players always defer to the older guys.

Nash, for all his current struggles is still the guy that's netted 40 numerous times.

And for all the talk that happens in the lockerroom, when the action gets heated on the ice, a kid is going to have a split second to decide, shoot or look for Nasher .

My money says they look for Nash when they should shoot.

He's not going to enhance their development, he going to hinder it. I want nothing to do what that

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Grabner and Nash are both likely to get retirement contracts this summer. Sure, their veteran presence can help. But I think we just need to cut the cord and move on.

Build a new core. Let the natural leaders evolve from that group, instead of gifting that role to someone who may not even want it.

Lundqvist has been this teams real leader since his arrival. He may not have a letter on his chest, but he doesn’t need one. Staal, Zuccs, and Kreider are veteran leaders as well.

I think this group will survive w/o a overpaid vet that’s going to produce less than they’re worth.

And I wholeheartedly would rather see us re-sign ****ing Tanner Glass than Kovalchuk this summer. Just, no. What is it with you guys and big names past their prime that still want top dollar.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Why would the Jets trade Trouba for 2 LW though? Especially more offense their biggest need is D. At LW they have Ehlers/Perreault/Connor/Vesalainen/Copp
Their right side is stacked as well with Wheeler/Laine/Armia. No need at all for Spooner and Kreider

If they have no need for Spooner why did they try to get him and other centers desperately before getting Statsny (who will be an UFA)? That is just incorrect.

Wheeler is getting older, a lot older. Connor is talented, but there are also issues with him. He disappears completely in thighter games. Still young though. Armia is not good. Perrault is a solid top 9. Vesalainen? I believe it when I see it, got a rumor of being a real primadonna.

Look, what do I know. Trouba has hated being in Winnipeg from Day 1. Not long ago he was completely humiliated by a GM forceing him to take a worthless deal. He got a route to UFA. They will start to negotiate in a few month. Trouba could — love — it in Winnipeg and want to stay there the rest of his career with a long term deal. Sure. He can tell his US G/F that she can forget about med school and hit the highway. But I also wouldn’t be surprised if he told Chevy that he isn’t interesting to go beyond 1 or 2 years, and that he don’t mind arbitration one bit.

This put Winnipeg somewhat in the same situation as Boston was when they dealt Dougie Hamilton. Ask people at hfboards boards what Boston will get for Hamilton say a month before he is traded to Calgary. People would have laughed at a mid 1st and two 2nds. But to keep Trouba you, just like Hamilton, got to pay him UFA money, and you must be a very attractive location. He can wait 1-2 years and to — anywhere — he wants in the league, as a 25-26 y/o D at the peak of his career. That also have spent his young life so far at a very unattractive location, making it likely that he don’t want to settle for just about anything for the rest of his career. Cap is going up, salaries are going up, in 1-2 years — what does it take to tie up Trouba? Definitely 7, will it take 8? Who knows.

But it affects his market value for sure.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I'm on the other side of it. Especially if we get rid of Kreider or Zuccarello, it's not a forward group that's fit for purpose going up against top players. Subtract one of those guys and I say without knowing every single team's situation it's the worst group of wingers in the league.

Calling up the rent-a-Vanek if no one wants to come here and it's panic mode would be better than staying put or pencilling in three kids. At a certain point you're asking someone to gain confidence and make plays with Jimmy Vesey instead of a first line player

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Young players always defer to the older guys.

Nash, for all his current struggles is still the guy that's netted 40 numerous times.

And for all the talk that happens in the lockerroom, when the action gets heated on the ice, a kid is going to have a split second to decide, shoot or look for Nasher .

My money says they look for Nash when they should shoot.

He's not going to enhance their development, he going to hinder it. I want nothing to do what that

I really don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that happen. Guys who have to learn when it’s right for them to just take the shot? Sure, gotta learn not to constantly defer to teammates. Never really seen it because a particular teammate is the vet.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I really don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that happen. Guys who have to learn when it’s right for them to just take the shot? Sure, gotta learn not to constantly defer to teammates. Never really seen it because a particular teammate is the vet.

I think it happens more often then you think

Usually brushed off as trying to force a pass when the smart play is to shoot it.

Some guys grow out of it, some others like Kevin Hayes don't.

But you put a kid like Chytil with Nash, and the kid will, to the teams detriment, try to feed Nash due to the player he was and not is.

That's not a good thing.

IMHO

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think it happens more often then you think

Usually brushed off as trying to force a pass when the smart play is to shoot it.

Some guys grow out of it, some others like Kevin Hayes don't.

But you put a kid like Chytil with Nash, and the kid will, to the teams detriment, try to feed Nash due to the player he was and not is.

That's not a good thing.

IMHO

Hayes tried to defer to EVERYONE until recently. It wasn’t vets. And if Chytil does the same thing, it won’t have anything to do with Nash. He will do it with Ryan Spooner, or Chris Kreider, or Ty Ronning too.

Reactions: Holden the Stick

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Hayes tried to defer to EVERYONE until recently. It wasn’t vets. And if Chytil does the same thing, it won’t have anything to do with Nash. He will do it with Ryan Spooner, or Chris Kreider, or Ty Ronning too.
Speaking of Hayes: I wonder if he’s one of the younger guys that’s become a new leader in the locker room. We haven’t complained about a lack of effort to start games for a while, and he’s been on a tear since returning from injury.

Reactions: belford222 and Ola

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Speaking of Hayes: I wonder if he’s one of the younger guys that’s become a new leader in the locker room. We haven’t complained about a lack of effort to start games for a while, and he’s been on a tear since returning from injury.
He's been on a tear for sure. also was playing really really well since november pretty much. Our best forward this year.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i have little to no interest in signing any free agents, including bringing back nash and grabner unless we are back filling for guys that we trade at the draft.

there are kids that need to be given an opportunity and there are limited spots in the top 9 for chytil and anderson to get even a fair shot without adding others...

similar on the blueline...with staal, skjei, shattenkirk and most likely smith back in the mix. it will be tough to find ice time for ADA, pionk and gilmour without adding anyone else

now if we make a few trades at the draft to move up and add more picks, then that completely changes cause you can't go with all rookies

Reactions: Lion Hound

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Grabner and Nash are both likely to get retirement contracts this summer. Sure, their veteran presence can help. But I think we just need to cut the cord and move on.

Build a new core. Let the natural leaders evolve from that group, instead of gifting that role to someone who may not even want it.

Lundqvist has been this teams real leader since his arrival. He may not have a letter on his chest, but he doesn’t need one. Staal, Zuccs, and Kreider are veteran leaders as well.

I think this group will survive w/o a overpaid vet that’s going to produce less than they’re worth.

And I wholeheartedly would rather see us re-sign ****ing Tanner Glass than Kovalchuk this summer. Just, no. What is it with you guys and big names past their prime that still want top dollar.

Grabner is not getting a retirement contract, especially if he keeps this play up. 0pts in 8 games.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Grabner is not getting a retirement contract, especially if he keeps this play up. 0pts in 8 games.

I should provided more info on “retirement contract”. I feel both Grabner and Nash are going to see significant contracts this summer which will take them to the tail ends of their careers.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Regarding Grabner, it is another good illustration of just how much teams differ. Grabner was allowed to rove and be a freelance mercenary. Does he get to do that with the Debs? That's a sincere question. I haven't watched a single Devils game since the trade.

Reactions: leetch99

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Grabner is showing that any team bidding on his services needs to do their homework.

If you don’t have the right system for him, it’ll be a long contract.

Reactions: leetch99

rangerfan_79

Jun 1, 2007
justanfyi.com
I watched enough of the last few devils games to know they were not ready to receive Grabner. The guy is open and breaking up the ice and the outlet pass should go off the wall or to an open area for him to skate into. He was visibly frustrated on the ice a few times. It's not a system issue, it's a poor on ice awareness or lack of knowing your teammates issue.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I watched enough of the last few devils games to know they were not ready to receive Grabner. The guy is open and breaking up the ice and the outlet pass should go off the wall or to an open area for him to skate into. He was visibly frustrated on the ice a few times. It's not a system issue, it's a poor on ice awareness or lack of knowing your teammates issue.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess they aren't acclimatized to Grabner, just like you say. He was great at anticipating and grabbing (pun intended) a pass off the boards, or simply just doing it from a loose puck in the middle. It was more than speed, he has such great timing, but then again his speed makes that timing possible.
Fun player to watch. I wish he was enjoying himself, wherever he wound up, but it appears not at the moment.

Last edited:

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Let's say next year Shatty is fully healthy, DeAngelo is what he's been the later part of the year before he got hurt, Skjei is slightly better than he's been this year, and Pionk is what he's been so far from what we have seen. That's a decent base to start w/ this defense.

Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad