Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
People really seem to be struggling with turning the page and moving on from this last era.

For me at last, i would just like the Rangers to sign a couple of good veterans. In the case of this off-season, Nash and Grabner are probably a couple of the better veterans who we know get along well in the room and are familiar with playing in NYC (which is a factor). There are others of course that I would be interested in, but IMO ruling those guys out if they would come in at a reasonable contract seems like closing a door that doesn't need to be closed.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
My issue with bringing back Nash is that this team needs to turn the page and younger players need to accept larger roles. If Nash is resigned, I think younger players will still look to him as the player to rely on in key situations. It's not easy for guys who played prominent roles on teams to take a back seat and for other players to allow them to take the back seat.

Grabner played a less prominent role and as long as he were to remain in that role, it might not be much of a disruption but I don't know that Grabner will be a a fit on this team next season, especially if there's a new HC.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So here is a scenario for you:

Trades:

Kreider to EDM for EDM 1st '18 + Puljujaarvi
Zuccarello to DAL for DAL 1st '19 + Gurianov
Staal (@ $4m cap hit) to SJ for Paul Martin + Mikkel Boedker
Halverson to TO for Matt Martin ($1.75m cap hit) + TO 3rd '18
Zborovskiy to WSH for Brooks Orpik + WSH 2nd '19 + WSH 3rd '19

UFA signings:
Roussel - 3 years @ $2m/season
Filpulla - 2 years @ $2.25m/season

RFA signings:
Namestnkiov - 6 years @ $4m/season
Skjei - 7 years @ $4.1m
Spooner - 5 years @ $3.5m
Hayes - 5 years @ $4.0m
Vesey - 3 years @ $2.15m
Gilmour - 1 year @ $900k

Line-up:
Namestnikov-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Boedker-Hayes-Spooner
Vesey-Andersson/Chytil-Pulujaarvi
Roussel-Filpulla-Fast
M. Martin

Skjei-DeAngelo
Gilmour-Shattenkirk
Smith/Orpik-Pionk
Smith/Orpik

Paul Martin sent to the minors

Hank
Georgiev

Smith/Orpik could also be sent down to the AHL if they find a defenseman more worth of those minutes.

I know it's not 'pretty' but this leaves the team with ~$2m in cap space to begin the season with the ability to bury a couple of players.
Orpik's contract is up after next season so that's $5.5m in free space
Martin's contract is up after next season so that's $$ freed as well (how much depends on whether he is in the NHL or AHL
Boedker can come in and fill a speed role on the 2nd/3rd line. His contract expires 1 year earlier than Staal's so this is just about clearing a contract earlier.
The 4th line of Roussel-Filpulla-Fast can jump up and be a 3rd line when that 3rd line is struggling. All (3) PK as well.
The Rangers add (2) more 1st's (Kreider + MZA), a 3rd (Martin), and a 2nd and 3rd (taking Orpik)
The defense is going to struggle but patience there until something opens up and an opportunity presents itself to improve.

Reactions: Ndurpressure

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If we were renovating a house, we'd be the types who re-use the pipes and wiring we just pulled, and re-install it in different rooms.

After-all, we're going to need to pipe and wiring.

Reactions: pld459666

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If we were renovating a house, we'd be the types who re-use the pipes and wiring we just pulled, and re-install it in different rooms.

After-all, we're going to need to pipe and wiring.

Well I mean Nash and Grabner would be more like renovating your existing home with new windows and then deciding to knock it down and start over, but re-use the existing brand new windows.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Well I mean Nash and Grabner would be more like renovating your existing home with new windows and then deciding to knock it down and start over, but re-use the existing brand new windows.

I think we need to take a run at McD in 15 months. Just to complete the feeling of deja vu.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Count me as someone not really interested in bringing back Grabner. With a new coach and new system likely coming in, I’m not betting on him producing anywhere near what he did under AV.

Reactions: Krams

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If one breaks the window does it help the economy as it will need to be replaced or was intrinsic value lost?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
So here is a scenario for you:

Trades:

Kreider to EDM for EDM 1st '18 + Puljujaarvi
Zuccarello to DAL for DAL 1st '19 + Gurianov
Staal (@ $4m cap hit) to SJ for Paul Martin + Mikkel Boedker
Halverson to TO for Matt Martin ($1.75m cap hit) + TO 3rd '18
Zborovskiy to WSH for Brooks Orpik + WSH 2nd '19 + WSH 3rd '19

UFA signings:
Roussel - 3 years @ $2m/season
Filpulla - 2 years @ $2.25m/season

RFA signings:
Namestnkiov - 6 years @ $4m/season
Skjei - 7 years @ $4.1m
Spooner - 5 years @ $3.5m
Hayes - 5 years @ $4.0m
Vesey - 3 years @ $2.15m
Gilmour - 1 year @ $900k

Line-up:
Namestnikov-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Boedker-Hayes-Spooner
Vesey-Andersson/Chytil-Pulujaarvi
Roussel-Filpulla-Fast
M. Martin

Skjei-DeAngelo
Gilmour-Shattenkirk
Smith/Orpik-Pionk
Smith/Orpik

Paul Martin sent to the minors

Hank
Georgiev

Smith/Orpik could also be sent down to the AHL if they find a defenseman more worth of those minutes.

I know it's not 'pretty' but this leaves the team with ~$2m in cap space to begin the season with the ability to bury a couple of players.
Orpik's contract is up after next season so that's $5.5m in free space
Martin's contract is up after next season so that's $$ freed as well (how much depends on whether he is in the NHL or AHL
Boedker can come in and fill a speed role on the 2nd/3rd line. His contract expires 1 year earlier than Staal's so this is just about clearing a contract earlier.
The 4th line of Roussel-Filpulla-Fast can jump up and be a 3rd line when that 3rd line is struggling. All (3) PK as well.
The Rangers add (2) more 1st's (Kreider + MZA), a 3rd (Martin), and a 2nd and 3rd (taking Orpik)
The defense is going to struggle but patience there until something opens up and an opportunity presents itself to improve.
I really dig the general concept, and can very much see the Kreider/Zucc trades you suggest, but a couple of qualms:

1) I think you're taking on more bad contracts than I'd want. Martin, Martin, Boedker, and Orpik WHILE retaining money on Staal AND with Beleskey still in the org? That's a LOT of dead cap space, with at least three, perhaps all five (including Beleskey) of the players still in the organization flat-out sitting and with only one contract ending next year. Too much, I think. (Besides, if you retain meaningful money on Staal, given the way he's played this year, I'd argue you ought to be able to get value beyond just swapping salary dumps.)

2) I think you've underpriced Spooner, Hayes, and maybe also Skjei given the terms you've assumed.

3) In part because of 2, above, I think they need to move on from one of Hayes/Spooner/Namestnikov and backfill with a kid (if one of them earns it in camp) or a short-term vet signing (if none of them do).

My view is they trade:
1) Kreider (EDM would be my #1 landing spot)
2) Zuccarello (Dallas would also be my #1 landing spot)
3) one of either Hayes or Spooner (the two with only 1 RFA year remaining), and
4) perhaps take on ONE salary dump (potentially as part of one of the three deals above)

And sign:
1) a couple of UFA forwards (I can see both Filpula and Roussel)
2) maybe one UFA defensemen
3) 2-3 Paul Carey types for the Pack

(They might also move Staal with money retained if there's a market, but I don't see it as a priority in another rebuilding year, unless they can get value for him.)

Last edited:

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Are they turning the page like Bob Seger or like Metallica?
When your cup window is closing
And you need some new blood
You trade familiar faces
And the picks come like a flood
The coach has his last presser
Brooksie writes that he’s a dud...

Here I am, posting lineups again, here I am ripping trades
Here I am waiting on draft day, here I am turn the page

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I really dig the general concept, and can very much see the Kreider/Zucc trades you suggest, but a couple of qualms:

1) I think you're taking on more bad contracts than I'd want. Martin, Martin, Boedker, and Orpik WHILE retaining money on Staal AND with Beleskey still in the org? That's a LOT of dead cap space, with at least three, perhaps all five (including Beleskey) of the players still in the organization flat-out sitting and with only one contract ending next year. Too much, I think. (Besides, if you retain meaningful money on Staal, given the way he's played this year, I'd argue you ought to be able to get value beyond just swapping salary dumps.)

2) I think you've underpriced Spooner, Hayes, and maybe also Skjei given the terms you've assumed.

3) In part because of 2, above, I think they need to move on from one of Hayes/Spooner/Namestnikov and backfill with a kid (if one of them earns it in camp) or a short-term vet signing (if none of them do).

My view is they trade:
1) Kreider (EDM would be my #1 landing spot)
2) Zuccarello (Dallas would also be my #1 landing spot)
3) one of either Hayes or Spooner (the two with only 1 RFA year remaining), and
4) perhaps take on ONE salary dump (potentially as part of one of the three deals above)

And sign:
1) a couple of UFA forwards (I can see both Filpula and Roussel)
2) maybe one UFA defensemen
3) 2-3 Paul Carey types for the Pack

(They might also move Staal with money retained if there's a market, but I don't see it as a priority in another rebuilding year, unless they can get value for him.)

I'm good with this. I'm not sure Staal has a ton of value and I was thinking that Boedker seems like one of those guys who could be a nice rental flip at the coming couple of deadlines possibly.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
zucc will get extension at decreasing salary no doubt.

kreider is the guy. Would be great with any top playmaking center. Could fetch a bunch of picks and prospects.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Any trade for Trouba is built on the assumption that Trouba is getting moved. Do I know if he is getting moved? No it’s just speculation — but it doesn’t seem unlikely. And if Trouba is getting moved — Kreider and Spooner isn’t a bad package. They wanted Spooner from Boston. Kreider next to Schleife? Or behind Laine? He makes sense for them.

I am not a big Necas fan, if Carolina is valuing him tremendously high he can be replaced. Ziba for Hanifin.

Build a blueline. Get someone with elite scoring ability in Puljujärvi. RHS. Keeping looking for the last piece offensively with a blueline in place, it’s the right order.

BTW I am not high on Lucic, but I rather pay him 4m in the NHL than Smith the same in the AHL...
Why would the Jets trade Trouba for 2 LW though? Especially more offense their biggest need is D. At LW they have Ehlers/Perreault/Connor/Vesalainen/Copp
Their right side is stacked as well with Wheeler/Laine/Armia. No need at all for Spooner and Kreider

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Then you’re not paying attention to what’s being written and posted.
Or we have different interpretations.

Paying attention to what posters on HF boards? or are you talking about the letter the Rangers sent out? Everyone is available for a price?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
No to Nash ...enough is enough . Time to put the past behind us . Tomorrow is a new day . Get young and hungry and arrive in front of the net and in the corners for puck battles with a chip on the shoulders . We will score enough goals with what we have already ...stopping them though might be a problem in the next year or so . Hopefully a new coach can revamp our D and despite them making some rookie mistakes...they grow and become a team and play for each other . We get a bit team tougher , faster and younger ....we will win some games AND be exciting to watch . I am looking forward to it .

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Who has more value in the off-season? Spooner or MZA? I feel Zucc's 'trade value' plummeted once the deadline past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad