Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Ori- Was that reported anywhere (on Lindy talking to AV about it)?
I`m just speculating @Ola that they had a conversation about the topic earlier in this season after Staal stopped producing, because AV has a habit to give players extra ice time when they are playing good games like M. Staal did in the beginning - he was very good for us and he is skating better this year. I don`t have any media sources on it though.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Jeff Gorton is interested in getting younger with more prospects and picks and people are proposing trades for Jason Spezza??!!!????!!!!

I'm the one who first brought up his name, but it was with the idea of trading away Staal and buying out Spezza next summer.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The Rangers need to be careful about how much money they retain in the next couple of years in trades. Girardi's buy out hit goes up over 3 million per year for the next two seasons after this one.

Cutting ties with Smith and admitting the mistake is fine if they don't retain any money on his contract. I'm just not convinced that he's a worse option over Kampfer, even at his cap hit.

The Rangers are running a hot streak. Smith will hopefully get back in for Kampfer when the Rangers lose a game.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
At what point do the Oilers consider trading Lucic? $6m for 5 more years after this one. 3g and 10 points in 17 games is about on par with his career average but they need help elsewhere and with McDavid and Draisatl getting their raises they will need the cap space allocated wisely.

Marc Staal has 3 years left after this one and is playing superb hockey. Chairelli was rumored to want both Staal and Girardi in Boston when he was back there.

Cap hits are nearly identical.

The Rangers don't have anyone who can play that heavy in your face style and yes I realize guys like that may not age all that well, however, would anyone consider a 1 for 1?

Oilers get a top-4 defensive defenseman with a shorter contract term left. They can play him with Klefbom and free up Larsson to play with someone like Nurse or Sekera when he returns. He would help their PK as well.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I'm the one who first brought up his name, but it was with the idea of trading away Staal and buying out Spezza next summer.

Even if we don't buy him out, it's a good move. Spezza makes more, but Staal has 3 years left after this year, to Spezza's 1. I would do that trade in a minute.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i dont understand why smith cant play the same role as kampfer plays. they are getting 3rd pair minutes against weaker lines, its not that kampfer stands out, he doesnt. can smith be that much worse ? doubtful.

AV is such a tool

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
i dont understand why smith cant play the same role as kampfer plays. they are getting 3rd pair minutes against weaker lines, its not that kampfer stands out, he doesnt. can smith be that much worse ? doubtful.

AV is such a tool

Kampfer plays a smart game. His execution is poor at times, but he makes good decisions on the ice.

This quote — by Nash in Brooks article yesterday — say nothing but still everything of why someone like Kampfer plays:
“It’s not one guy or two or even just the three forwards. It’s five guys being smart in what we do. Actually, I think as a team we played a smart game.”

When a coach have analyzed 2000 games, if not more, very closely they tend to focus more and more on the big picture rather than individual execution in isolated situations. For fans it’s the complete opposite, they mostly look at small isolated situations. A puck goes into a corner and a D goes to fetch it and make a play. Is the clear successful or not? A box is checked and the play goes into the fans memory box.

It’s very important to have players that understands and tries to play to the team’s strengths and avoids making bad calls on the ice. Then of course execution is tremendously important too. But it’s not 95/5 in favor of execution, it’s at least 50/50.

In light of the complete mess we where to start the year, Kampfers decision making and calmed down play has been a welcomed addition quite frankly.

Smith will get a chance and Kampfer will sit sooner rather than later — it’s not that. But it’s certainly not “mind boggling” that Kampfer has played this year in light of how others and the team started the season. It’s about “five guys being smart in what we do”.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
At what point do the Oilers consider trading Lucic? $6m for 5 more years after this one. 3g and 10 points in 17 games is about on par with his career average but they need help elsewhere and with McDavid and Draisatl getting their raises they will need the cap space allocated wisely.

Marc Staal has 3 years left after this one and is playing superb hockey. Chairelli was rumored to want both Staal and Girardi in Boston when he was back there.

Cap hits are nearly identical.

The Rangers don't have anyone who can play that heavy in your face style and yes I realize guys like that may not age all that well, however, would anyone consider a 1 for 1?

Oilers get a top-4 defensive defenseman with a shorter contract term left. They can play him with Klefbom and free up Larsson to play with someone like Nurse or Sekera when he returns. He would help their PK as well.
Like you said, $6M for 5 years after this one... big no from me. That's too much money and term for what Lucic brings.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I highly doubt Smith gets traded. This is just the coach justifying "his guy" while the team is on a roll. They'll lose eventually and Smith will get back into the lineup.

That being said, who is the last guy to sign a big group III deal only to be dealt early in the first year of the new contract? I can't remember.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I highly doubt Smith gets traded. This is just the coach justifying "his guy" while the team is on a roll. They'll lose eventually and Smith will get back into the lineup.

That being said, who is the last guy to sign a big group III deal only to be dealt early in the first year of the new contract? I can't remember.

Demers at least made it year 1 into a 5 year deal before he was traded.

I can't think of any in-season after a contract was signed.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Assuming that the Oilers have to do something drastic soon, is there anyway we can RNH out of them for some combo of Nash plus CK or Hayes (picks/prospects as required)? Mika and RNH as the top 2 centres while Chytil and Andersson learn around them for the next 3 years would be nice.
It allows gives EDM some depth at centre (they can roll McDavid, Draisitl and Hayes down the middle, and Nash can play with Mcdavid for a season
If Pulju costs less then id rather grab him outta there rather than overpay for RNH, opens up the possibility of selling high on Kreider to some other team. They play similar games but Jesse is still young and can become a better scorer. If we can get Pulju for Hayes and picks i do that and package Vesey with him to sweeten the deal. I then add Nash to any Kreider trade to guarantee a good return.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Ales Kotalik was traded in the first year of his 3 year contract. He signed a 3 year contract in 2009 and was gone by February 2010.

Greg de Vries was also traded in the first year of a 4 years contract. He signed in July 2003 and was gone by February 2004.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Matt Cullen was traded in the summer after signing a free agent contract with the Rangers.

We don’t know what is going on with the Smith and the coaching staff. He has been brutal whenever he played.

Reactions: Avery16

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Was going to say Katalik as well. Proof it doesn't happen too often. Not exactly UFA or the Rangers, but a big Rangers connection was Hagelin whose new contract had a UFA years, going to Pens from Ducks.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Matt Cullen was traded in the summer after signing a free agent contract with the Rangers.

We don’t know what is going on with the Smith and the coaching staff. He has been brutal whenever he played.
If he's been so bad why would a team want to offer anything of value for him? Especially since it isrumored that Smith is out of shape currently. I'd rather not get hosed and let him go for a late pick like Colorado did with Holden, and now he's playing top pair for whatever reason.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
If he's been so bad why would a team want to offer anything of value for him? Especially since it isrumored that Smith is out of shape currently. I'd rather not get hosed and let him go for a late pick like Colorado did with Holden, and now he's playing top pair for whatever reason.
How long does it take for a multi-million dollar professional athelete to get back in shape after the offseason? Has to be something else going on here

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I also think the “brutal” part plays a part in when you get him in. So far it’s a situation that takes space but that can be forgotten in a hurry. But what is the next step if Smith is inserted cold against Chicago and has a tough game and we lose big? He gets another game against CBJ, and if he does and it’s a tough one as well? You want to put him in at a time he can get a safe and controlled route back into the lineup.

I think Kampfer should play against Chicago too, if we lose Smith should be a lock against CBJ. I think AV should consider him against a grittier CBJ team even if we beat Chicago.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
How long does it take for a multi-million dollar professional athelete to get back in shape after the offseason? Has to be something else going on here
Truth is that Smith looked bad while the whole rest of the team looked bad when the season started. He was a step behind and making poor decisions, but so were a lot of other players on the team. The difference is that AV punished Smith with healthy scratches. He wasn't going to scratch McD, Skjei or Shatty and Staal actually looked good. Smith was his scapegoat.

Now the entire team has started to play better and AV is rolling with the lineup.

He's gotta get Smith back in soon. Kampfer is a fine injury fill in #7 D, but he should not be an option over Smith when healthy. Give Smith Kampfer's spot in the lineup and assignments and he should be fine in that role while getting back up to speed.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
**** no to Lucic

Chiarelli can drown on that sinking contract. No one will touch him

Edmonton is getting on my nerve. The big problem I have with Edmonton is that management take really dumb decisions — and it’s supported by everyone. The fans, all experts and so forth. Nobody is like what in God’s name are you doing when they draft a Puljujarvi, rush him to the AHL and then keep him around in some vain — delusional — attempt to build a dynasty instead of fixing any of the major problems they have on the ice. PC not going with 1 guy like Lucic, but THREE in Lucic, Kassian and Maroon. PC gambling completely with the starter position only offering a 2nd putting the ball in Florida, Dallas and SJs court. PC going really hard after ex overrated picks like Ryan Strome and Griffin Reinhardt instead of like a Marcus Krueger or Carl Hagelin. Getting an overrated D like Sekera. And so forth and so fort and so forth.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

There were teams interested in acquiring Smith at the trading deadline and there were teams interested in signing Smith this summer. Not much has changed in the last 9 months.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
There were teams interested in acquiring Smith at the trading deadline and there were teams interested in signing Smith this summer. Not much has changed in the last 9 months.
Except his salary is a lot higher, he has a partial NTC, and kind of looks like a bum right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad