Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Assuming that the Oilers have to do something drastic soon, is there anyway we can RNH out of them for some combo of Nash plus CK or Hayes (picks/prospects as required)? Mika and RNH as the top 2 centres while Chytil and Andersson learn around them for the next 3 years would be nice.
It allows gives EDM some depth at centre (they can roll McDavid, Draisitl and Hayes down the middle, and Nash can play with Mcdavid for a season
That’s a terrible deal for the Rangers.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kovalchuk, and his likely price/risk, really only make sense if we didn't already have Mika and Shattenkirk's hammer-time RHS on the power play.

Otherwise, the guy doesn't offer much, and if we were planning on bending the cap to bring back an aging star in their 30's I'd just as soon it be a more complete player in Nash.

6 mil for a one-way player who might top out at 25-30 goals isn't a great investment.

Great point and I agree for sure. No need for Kova with Zib and Shatty getting the job done.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gorton should try to get Puljujarvi.

We don’t get top talent. Pulju has potential to become an unique scorer. Good shot that has potential to be great. Very good playmaking ability and offensive understanding of the game. Good straight ahead speed, although his mobility is what is holding him back.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Oilers are spending a billion dollars on two forwards. They need ELC production so bad, I don't think they give up on Puljujarvi unless they secretly hate him. Might be taking his one good game against us into account too much but I think they're bringing him in slow, the same way we do with everybody

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
but there's no deal in there...
It's Nash and one of those players for RNH and other stuff...
Yes Its still terrible. The evidence strongly suggests Nash won't waive for Canada, and even so the Rangers cant eat the RNH contract, when they need to sign RFA Skjei, Miller, Hayes, Vesey this summer.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
There is literally no reason to trade Hayes for Spezza. There is no reason to move him to Florida for “a winger” either unless it’s Huberdeau
I was talking aloud that maybe Florida would want a winger for their top 6, and that they may (I hope) that they would dangle Borgstrom for that winger from us. Not that we'd be trading Hayes for a winger from Florida. Sorry for the confusion.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
A player I would cry of happiness to trade for would be O'Reilly. But just thinking what it would take to get him. Probably one of Lias or Chytil and our 1st for starters (if it's looking like we are going to be hanging in the playoff mix and that pick has very low chances of being Dahlin or Svech).

I'm liking what I'm seeing recently but I still see a huge hole at center. And it would be kind of reckless to assume one of Chyt or LA can handle top six minutes within the next 2 years.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
One of the worst proposals i have read on these boards in my ten years as a member. Just stop, its embarrassing

1. Until you bumped it, it had stopped
2. For the 2nd time, it wasn't a f***ing proposal

If you can't comprehend shit, don't reply...

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
1. Until you bumped it, it had stopped
2. For the 2nd time, it wasn't a ****ing proposal

If you can't comprehend ****, don't reply...
Wah wah wah.

Reply or comprehend what? That you are willing to trade Nash and one of Kreider/Hayes for an underperforming bust in RNH? Oh i comprehend alright. Sounds like a 13 year old making foolish proposals

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Wah wah wah.

Reply or comprehend what? That you are willing to trade Nash and one of Kreider/Hayes for an underperforming bust in RNH? Oh i comprehend alright. Sounds like a 13 year old making foolish proposals

Nudge is a bust and I'm the child...?
Whatever, enjoy

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017
I completely disagree.

I think he's the most underrated player in the NHL. He plays on a team that is perennially one of the worst in the league with some of the worst talent, yet he averages right around 1PPG, which is incredibly good. McDavid's the best player in the NHL, I don't think Matthews, Eichel, any of these players are going to be as good, but I have no clue how this perception has formed that Matthews is another tier from Eichel, I believe it to be incredibly naive, and purely based on the Toronto vs. Buffalo market and one playing for an up and coming team, the other playing for a rotten team. I actually think Eichel's better, and I think that'll be proven out over their full careers.

Eichel on a team with some talent could be the second best forward in the NHL eventually. He really has 0 help, he's playing on a line with Evander Kane and Jason Pominville, which is my point. I wouldn't be surprised if Dahlin joins him next season, thats how bad Buffalo is. Eichel's the most talented American born forward that the USA has produced, he has a crazy power stride with speed, really high level passing, a very good shot, and good hockey IQ. He just needs some help, he's going to be one of the NHL's best hockey players, but a kid that just turned 21 having to completely drag a really bad team by himself isn't easy. McDavid can't even do that with Edmonton right now, and he's a better player than Eichel. Edmonton is also better than Buffalo.

"Coach killer", I don't care. Lebron James is a coach killer, midseason he fired the coach, appointed the coach he wanted, and coached the team himself with his friend posing as coach. They won a title. When you have elite players in a team sport, they have the right to fire the coach. I'd condone any of the NHL's elite players firing their coach, if they didn't get along with them. Its their organization, everything needs to revolve around them.

USDP:

Matthews U17: 1.375ppg
Eichel U17: 0.9444ppg

Matthews U18: 1.933ppg
Eichel U18: 1.641ppg

NHL

Matthews D+1: 0.841ppg
Eichel D+1: 0.691ppg

Matthews D+2: 1.178ppg
Eichel D+2: 0.934ppg

It appears to me that Matthews has consistently outperformed Eichel at every comparable stage of their careers, including in the USDP where they played on the same team. I don't really see why this trend would stop out of nowhere so when you add that with Matthews already being significantly better defensively and being a much better goalscorer it's hard to argue imo.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
USDP:

Matthews U17: 1.375ppg
Eichel U17: 0.9444ppg

Matthews U18: 1.933ppg
Eichel U18: 1.641ppg

NHL

Matthews D+1: 0.841ppg
Eichel D+1: 0.691ppg

Matthews D+2: 1.178ppg
Eichel D+2: 0.934ppg

It appears to me that Matthews has consistently outperformed Eichel at every comparable stage of their careers, including in the USDP where they played on the same team. I don't really see why this trend would stop out of nowhere so when you add that with Matthews already being significantly better defensively and being a much better goalscorer it's hard to argue imo.

Adam Clendening had great corsi stats defensively, must've been hard to argue that he wasn't our best defenseman last season. :laugh:

I've watched these two play a lot, Eichel is a considerably better passer and skater, and there's not really any difference, in terms of shot. Neither are good defensively yet, so your claim doesn't make sense. Using PPG as prospects ignores that Matthews played with a significantly more talented group of players, so its just a waste of your time to even bring that up.

I think some don't understand the effect that the Canadian media has on the perception around Matthews. This guy is like the biggest sports star in the country, Eichel plays in a very small media market, there's no comparison in terms of the attention they get, so I am not surprised so many have this opinion that Eichel is some bust and Matthews is some star, its naive though.

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017
Adam Clendening had great corsi stats defensively, must've been hard to argue that he wasn't our best defenseman last season. :laugh:

I've watched these two play a lot, Eichel is a considerably better passer and skater, and there's not really any difference, in terms of shot. Neither are good defensively yet, so your claim doesn't make sense. Using PPG as prospects ignores that Matthews played with a significantly more talented group of players, so its just a waste of your time to even bring that up.

I think some don't understand the effect that the Canadian media has on the perception around Matthews. This guy is like the biggest sports star in the country, Eichel plays in a very small media market, there's no comparison in terms of the attention they get, so I am not surprised so many have this opinion that Eichel is some bust and Matthews is some star, its naive though.

So your argument is that something to do with Clendenning means that stats are useless, you've seen the two play a few times and that holds more weight than multiple seasons of directly comparable year. k

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So your argument is that something to do with Clendenning means that stats are useless, you've seen the two play a few times and that holds more weight than multiple seasons of directly comparable year. k

Looking at your posts, you seem to be a Leafs fan.

Thats the end of this discussion, I don't discuss Leaf players with Leaf fans, I've learned not to do that.

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017
Looking at your posts, you seem to be a Leafs fan.

Thats the end of this discussion, I don't discuss Leaf players with Leaf fans, I've learned not to do that.

Ah yes, the old don't actually dispute the argument and instead attack the character of someone. I'm the only one here who has provided actual argumentation outside of some eye-test hearsay.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Probably sooner than later, the Brendan Smith situation is going to have to be addressed. This is a defenseman, after all, whom the Rangers convinced not to go on the free-agent market by signing him to a four-year, $17.4 million deal for an annual $4.35 million cap hit who has been a healthy scratch for five straight games and seven of the first 19. This kind of thing doesn’t happen every day.

If Vigneault is simply waiting for the right time — which would probably take a defeat in which Kampfer plays badly — to ease Smith into the lineup, then so be it. Or if Vigneault believes the competition will spur Smith, then fine. It is not as if the Rangers bought blind on the defenseman.

But if the coach five months later is convinced the Rangers are a better team without No. 42 as an everyday top six, there is no time like the present for general manager Jeff Gorton to scour the market for the best return possible on Smith so both parties can cut their losses and move ahead

http://nypost.com/2017/11/13/rangers-choose-consistency-and-its-paying-off-big/

Which teams wanted Smith last summer? Last week,Brooks reported other teams offered more than the Rangers.The player agent Anton Thun was quoted in the article. Maybe Thun told Brooks.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There should be a market for Brendan Smith. He became redundant when we got Shatty, no matter if he showed up in shape or not. You need a RHS that can PK and take the late shifts. Its definitely not optimal to have a LHS at RD in those situations. If we didn't have Shatty, we could have had Smith at RD, a young RHS PMD (Pionk/DeAngelo) and a defensive RD (not in the system). With Shatty, Smith takes Pionk/DeAngelo's spots long term.

Gorton can deal Smith now without looking too bad. He should jump on it. Retain a few percent if he have to. Send a late pick him. Lets not forget that Smith is a -- very -- long-term commitment. So is Shatty. Both are signed until 2021. We should make room for Pionk/TDA behind Shatty and a defensive first RHS RD. I like someone like Eric Gryba for that position. He is a UFA after this season, currently making 900k.

Its not just that Smith is out of shape, its a mess when we have two LHS in him and Skjei on the ice and tries to hold down the fort.

One option is to slide Smith into the LD position and buy-out Staal. But that is a real Cap killing move. Sure Smith is an upgrade over Staal -- but no way that upgrade is worth Staal's buy-out. If we think we can trade Staal when his NMC becomes a LTC -- then sure, I am all for keeping Smith. Its only speculation, and we have been wrong before, but is there really a market for Marc Staal?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well thanks god for our defensive depth this year and Gorton, but concerning the Smith predicament..
I don`t really understand the management - Smith had history to not perform after signing new contracts with his old NHL franchise - so Detroit fans warned us have said the same thing long before the deal or the new contract was signed. A simple research by the management they should figure it out before they signed him - I hope they will go through the staff again end of this season and make some changes. Because it really hurt our cap situation as long Smith is on the roster and not playing, or performing as a professional hockey player.

And I`ll stop or refuse to comment moving `good` contracts and pieces for future as long we keep really bad contracts each year within the franchise. Staal is hopefully bought out next summer - and it will cost us too just like G contract who play now for Tampa.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad