Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
For some reason,Smith reminds me of Keith Ballard. The only difference is Smith played for the Rangers last season. Ballard was a really good player in Phoenix and Florida. AV kept scratching him in Vancouver. Ballard struggled in pre-season in his first camp with Vancouver and he suffered a few injuries. He could never get in AV’s good graces. You would think Smith’s play would get him the benefit of the doubt. Veteran player. AV usually cuts those players more slack. Weird.

On the bright side there is at least some accountability going on here. I don't like what's happening with DeAngelo (he should be in over Kampfer in the long run), but at least Smith is being punished for shit play. Staal, Shattenkirk, Skjei, and Kampfer (to a very loose degree) have all earned their spots for the time being.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
On the bright side there is at least some accountability going on here. I don't like what's happening with DeAngelo (he should be in over Kampfer in the long run), but at least Smith is being punished for **** play. Staal, Shattenkirk, Skjei, and Kampfer (to a very loose degree) have all earned their spots for the time being.

I have absolutely no problem with DeAngelo beeing in the AHL. He could really benefit from beeing the guy on defense in Hartford and learning to be a top pair defensemen there. I dont know which role Hartford are playing him in though.
What i do know is that DeAngelo should not be on the PP in NY over Skjei! Skjei has top pair potential and maybe even #1D potential and should be on the point on the 2nd PP unit every game.
DeAngelo is an overrated PP player but underrated in his own zone.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Let me put it this way: I fully understood and was supportive when Smith was resigned and I don't see an urgency to move him right now before we at least have a glimpse into how thing will work out with Pionk, Graves or another chance for ADA. Smith showed that he's able to play top4 in playoffs. He's definitely capable of being that again

Reactions: McD37

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They should really hold on to Holden whereabouts a little tighter.
I mean he is their 1st pairing RHD as long as AV doesn't want to break Skjei and Shattenkirk up/put Shattenkirk with McDonagh again.

They don't really have anyone else that can eat those minutes, especially with Smith in the dog house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad