Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Graves is a 4th rd, 19th pk (110th overall) - I hope he could make the team this year, but he did not - so why wait and he is 22 years old. I think we should look for a new prospect, and some teams are interested in Graves so it should be easy to move him for a future. And I`m not happy about Pavelec - I think we should look after a new backup goalie so add him in that Graves package to move some salary at the same time.

Defenseman typically take longer to develop. Patience. I'm not against moving Graves but definitely not in a deal as underwhelming as this one.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
What sucks about the Talbot trade is that we couldn't get that 2nd first rounder the Oilers had. Instead it went to the freaking Islanders for freaking Griffin Reinhart. Barzal should have been ours.

I will say it again. Talbot was not worth a 1st rounder. Maybe a 2nd rounder if we add a lower pick. But the contract he was on, his role at the time, the other, younger goalies with cost-controlled years left being on the market all contributed to his value being lower than people want to believe.

Reactions: SvenHelfenstein

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Gorton has been one of the best GMs in hockey IMO. You wanna see a general manager with his head up his arse, look at the Oilers and Chiarelli.
Chiarelli gets credit for being absolutely gifted McDavid and then having a 50% success rate on Top 10 picks, of which he has had 6 (excluding McDavid) recently. His trades have been garbage, player development bad, and very meh signings (that Lucic signing is gonna kill them).

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Nash @ 50%, Staal at 5 per year (eating 700k), and Graves for Galchenyuk and Shaw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Well if neither Kreider or Miller were involved, but Galchenyuk was discussed, it stands to reason Zuccarello was likely made available in some capacity.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Watching EDM right now since they need wingers and we have some for sale..

I'm 100% not interested in RNH looks like a complete passenger on his line. Worse Stepan whos better at faceoffs

Reactions: Rangers_23

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gorton has been one of the best GMs in hockey IMO. You wanna see a general manager with his head up his arse, look at the Oilers and Chiarelli.

Can you explain how?

He's made the team worse, and mortgaged the future many times that resulted in no real success.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Watching EDM right now since they need wingers and we have some for sale..

I'm 100% not interested in RNH looks like a complete passenger on his line. Worse Stepan whos better at faceoffs
I've been saying sending a package of Nash and Grabner there makes a lot of sense.

Maybe for Puljujarvi and 2nd+2nd (18' and 19')

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Can you explain how?

He's made the team worse, and mortgaged the future many times that resulted in no real success.
The only bad move I can think of is the kick at the bucket Eric Staal trade.

Traded Brassard for Zibanejad
Traded someone for Raanta
Traded Stepan & Raanta for #7 and DeAngelo
Traded 4th for Holden (had a great season)
Signed Grabner (had a great season)
Signed Vesey
Signed Desharnais (having a solid season)
Signed Shattenkirk (on pace for 65 points)

He's building for the future while keeping the team competitive. Many on here will disagree with this philosophy but I think he's doing a great job at it, especially considering tearing down a perennial playoff team is totally unrealistic.

His value signings/trades have been great, and the Zibanejad trade speaks for itself; brought in the young #1C with a complete skillset and huge potential that everyone on here has been clamoring for for years. The Stepan trade is also a big win IMO because I do not think this team actually misses Stepan very much. DeAngelo looks like a good young player who fills a big need, and that was our highest draft pick in over a decade. Raanta was acquired for nothing and then is later packaged for a top-10 pick. Smith trade I liked a lot too, how well the contract works out remains to be seen.

Getting younger, some great trades, and elite dumpster-diving make for an excellent GM in my eyes.

Last edited:

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The only bad move I can think of is the kick at the bucket Eric Staal trade.

Traded Brassard for Zibanejad
Traded someone for Raanta
Traded Stepan & Raanta for #7 and DeAngelo
Traded 4th for Holden (had a great season)
Signed Grabner (had a great season)
Signed Vesey
Signed Desharnais (having a solid season)
Signed Shattenkirk (on pace for 65 points)

He's building for the future while keeping the team competitive. Many on here will disagree with this philosophy but I think he's doing a great job at it, especially considering tearing down a perennial playoff team is totally unrealistic.

His value signings/trades have been great, and the Zibanejad trade speaks for itself; brought in the young #1C with a complete skillset and huge potential that everyone on here has been clamoring for for years. The Stepan trade is also a big win IMO because I do not think this team actually misses Stepan very much. DeAngelo looks like a good young player who fills a big need, and that was our highest draft pick in over a decade. Raanta was acquired for nothing and then is later packaged for a top-10 pick. Smith trade I liked a lot too, how well the contract works out remains to be seen.

Getting younger, some great trades, and elite dumpster-diving make for an excellent GM in my eyes.

The Smith contract looks to be his worst re-signing to date.

However, he has also done tremendous with our RFAs.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Eric Staal, and as someone mentioned the last page this guy was a big part of the trades under Slats where we traded for Yandle and MSL. I don't know why he gets a pass for what happened under Slats when he was running the day to day operations. Do we really think that he wasn't part of these important decisions when Slats tabbed him to take over for him like two months later? We got to a Cup Final and a Conference Final, but we didn't win the Stanley Cup, so its basically irrelevant. He also didn't trade Yandle when he could've, his team went out in the first round. Lost assets there, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad