Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd want Jost, Girard and Ottawa's first round pick from Colorado.

As I was watching the game yesterday I thought the same thing. Imagine in Colorado used the same pieces they acquired for Duchene for McDonagh. They have Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov, add McDonagh. That’s a team on the rise and they will be competing for the foreseeable future. Maybe Salic is ready to go in and I believe they have the cap space to re-sign McDonagh. Natural fit with the RD Johnson.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If both Nash and Zuke are traded the return should include at least one NHL ready forward in addition to prospects and picks. Similarly, if McD is moved the return should include an up-and-coming defenseman that has first pair upside. That would fit into rebuild-on a-fly definition, how I understand it, allowing the team to compete in the current wide open season.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Vermette returned a 1st. I am 100% sure Nash can fetch a 1st rounder

The market kind of dictated that though.

If the Rangers get a 1st from a team at the deadline, it's because they moved Zucc or McD.

Gotta love Zuccarello:

"Zuccarello's name has come up as someone the Rangers might listen to offers for and he said that based upon how he thinks he is playing, he isn't sure any team would want him. (Nettavisen)" (snyrangers)

If nothing else, hes honest.

He should be moved though.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
The same people who say we should go for it every year will be the same people who will complain we have no talent on the horizon in a few years when this team really bottoms out. It’ll be the same people who want to re-sign everyone then in a few years when the contracts become bad it’ll be “zomg fire Gorton!” Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Zuccarello rinse and repeat. So predictable around here.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Zucc hasn't found good chemistry with a line this season, and is still on pace for 55-60 points. I continue to believe that his kind of player will have a longer effective career into the mid and late 30's than guys like Kreider and Miller.

The contract is the final selling point. Zucc loves it here, who is to say he won't take a discount again on his next contract- perhaps an even larger one if they offer him a NMC?

I'd trade a lot of the underperformers on this team before Zuccarello.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The same people who say we should go for it every year will be the same people who will complain we have no talent on the horizon in a few years when this team really bottoms out. It’ll be the same people who want to re-sign everyone then in a few years when the contracts become bad it’ll be “zomg fire Gorton!” Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Zuccarello rinse and repeat. So predictable around here.

Respectfully, I've been hearing this since people first called for a rebuild in 08-09. That we'd gone over the hill and had to start over, or else enter a new 'dark ages' of missed playoffs in perpetuity.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Zucc hasn't found good chemistry with a line this season, and is still on pace for 55-60 points. I continue to believe that his kind of player will have a longer effective career into the mid and late 30's than guys like Kreider and Miller.

The contract is the final selling point. Zucc loves it here, who is to say he won't take a discount again on his next contract- perhaps an even larger one if they offer him a NMC?

Wholeheartedly agree.

IF we sell off UFA's and McD is (reluctantly) shipped out at the TDL or Draft. I would strongly consider Zuccarello being kept as the veteran influence to guide the next generation of players that become the core of the team. Almost reminds me of Hejduk's role in Colorado when their decade+ run came to it's inevitable conclusion. (hopefully we get better results.)

I could see a Zuccs "C", Miller "A", and Shattenkirk "A" leadership with maybe Skjei getting the "A" if he earns it when Shatty is gone one way or another.

Zucc's bleeds blue, puts up points, and leads by example on the ice damn near every shift.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Respectfully, I've been hearing this since people first called for a rebuild in 08-09. That we'd gone over the hill and had to start over, or else enter a new 'dark ages' of missed playoffs in perpetuity.
I had no problem at all with them buying and spending the first round picks recently but a lot of those teams were in the running for President’s Trophies, or at the least had solid positions. This team has been, and is going to continue, see-sawing across the wild card spots and out of it. A lot of their divisional rivals have gotten better and there is more competition. This is exactly when a team should know to sell.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017

I agree wholeheartedly. He’s my favorite Ranger. The haul we could get makes it enticing which is why I’d do it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Based on what? I'd argue that he's already showing signs of declining- his play along the walls has been much weaker this season.

I wouldn't be willing to spend 6+ million per a year (or thereabouts, plus a NMC) to find out if your gut feel is correct when history says that it probably isn't.

If Gorton hasn't traded Zucc by the draft, he's failed.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This is the team I’d look at but the conversation starts with Makar or nothing at all.
That's who I'd figure they'd ask for, or if it's with Dallas they'd ask for Heiskanen. I'm not set on getting a young dman back for a McD trade, but that's what I'd prefer. Makar had a really good WJC

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
If Gorton hasn't traded Zucc by the draft, he's failed.
Isn’t this too much to demand though? What if, hypothetically, Gorton is only offered lowball offers? This concerns McDonagh too. As angry as a lot of people would be if one of them is not traded, wouldn’t it be worse if Gorton gets crap in value back? Sometimes the market is just not there when you want it to.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
This fantasy of trading McDonagh or Zuccarello right now is not going to happen. We are competing for a playoff spot. If they get moved, it’s likely in the offseason.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm fairly confident that the team will try and trade their UFAs. Might not get all of them to move since it's a challenge and a half to make some deals work and bring back an NHL body plays futures since rentals typically dont bring back roster players.

But with that said, I think you can expect some picks in return.

I'm more inclined to move guys like Hayes, Vesey in hockey deals. The goal imo of moving guys like Zucc and McD is to get 3-5 year core players in return.

I dont think that is going to happen easily.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Wholeheartedly agree.

IF we sell off UFA's and McD is (reluctantly) shipped out at the TDL or Draft. I would strongly consider Zuccarello being kept as the veteran influence to guide the next generation of players that become the core of the team. Almost reminds me of Hejduk's role in Colorado when their decade+ run came to it's inevitable conclusion. (hopefully we get better results.)

I could see a Zuccs "C", Miller "A", and Shattenkirk "A" leadership with maybe Skjei getting the "A" if he earns it when Shatty is gone one way or another.

Zucc's bleeds blue, puts up points, and leads by example on the ice damn near every shift.

I love the guy and don’t disagree with this even though I’ve come around to the idea of trading him.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Any chance someone grabs Smith and his 4.5 million at the deadline? I’d trade him for a 5th just to get him outta here.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Zuc is a catch-22. The team plays with so much less life with him out of the lineup, but he's just very inconsistent. He'll hit between 55-60 points every year, but he always goes cold for long stretches. He is what he is at this point. He's carved out a very nice place in the lexicon of the Rangers. I just don't see him getting better. A high end second liner and a very low end first liner. I'd at least listen to offers for him but I'd want a first and good prospect.

Smith you need to take a bad contract back. It would have to be like a Soderberg or someone with similar term. Every few years those trades work out, like when the Rangers did the Aaron Ward for Paul Mara swap in 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad