Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XI: We can read between the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That's a strong offer though I'd try to pry Glass and fill in from there.

I’d love Glass as well. A strong young defenseman and a high ceiling prospect + 1st is what I’d be looking for in return for McDonagh. Or backwards with a strong young forward and a high ceiling defenseman prospect + 1st

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah I'm not expecting anything close to that.

I think a realistic deal is Spurgeon and one of JEE, Kunin, Greenway or Kaprizov.
I think that Vegas deal is more likely than that Minnesota scenario by a lot.

Rangers very high on Suzuki. I Don’t think that is an unrealistic center piece. Vegas gets a 1D that they can afford to re-sign and McPhee certainly knows how good McDonagh is. That’s a good trade partner of Rangers want future assets.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’d love Glass as well. A strong young defenseman and a high ceiling prospect + 1st is what I’d be looking for in return for McDonagh. Or backwards with a strong young forward and a high ceiling defenseman prospect + 1st
I’d want Suzuki and Brannstrom but might settle for Suzuki, 2018 1st (this is a very deep defensive draft) and some pieces like and Lindberg, (who they aren’t using well), Subban or Dansk, (younger cheaper Pavelec replacement that doesn’t block Shestyorkin). If they can’t get Brannstrom maybe they can get a guy like Hague back in that deal too.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I think that Vegas deal is more likely than that Minnesota scenario by a lot.

Rangers very high on Suzuki. I Don’t think that is an unrealistic center piece. Vegas gets a 1D that they can afford to re-sign and McPhee certainly knows how good McDonagh is. That’s a good trade partner of Rangers want future assets.

I'm not expecting Vegas to move Theodore though. He's probably the most valuable asset in their entire organization.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Vegas can make a great offer but this seems Nill all the way. Dallas can come out of the West with McD and Nash added to that core. NYR can retain making the return even bigger.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I feel like the Avs could be a dark horse for McD. They just loaded up on assets, have cap space, and have some young good pieces in the NHL

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
I could see the Rangers trading McDonagh for Makar if the Avs decide to do that. We tried to trade up in the draft last summer to get Makar.

Reactions: Rangers_23

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Too many people on this board are reluctant to trade some of these players. It's not a risk. It's ridiculous. Gorton is not breaking up a championship team. Somehow the Rangers will be able to replace the grand total of eight goals contributed by Zuccarello and McDonagh this season. The risk is re-signing them to contract extensions. One guy will be 32 in the first season of his next contract. The other guy turns 30 in the first season of his next contract and his game isn't what it was a few years ago. They can't blame Girardi for dragging down McDonagh this season.

The Rangers didn't have much depth to begin with this season and the injuries are piling up. Kreider will be reevaluated after 6 weeks which takes him to February 18. No word what happens after that date. Sam Rosen said in the opening segment of the Rangers broadcast yesterday that Shattenkirk will be out for 8 weeks. The week of March 18. Hayes is dealing with a bone bruise. It happened two weeks ago and Hayes is 50/50 at best to play tonight. Is he playing the remaining two games before the ASB? Nash had a bone bruise a couple of years ago which lingered for weeks. They kept saying Nash should be back by this date but Nash wasn't ready to play.

The team is playing AHL players throughout the line-up. The injuries are a blessing in disguise. It allows Gorton to do what he wants to do which is rebuild/retool/reload,etc. Gorton is in his 3rd season as Rangers GM. It's time for him to put his own imprint on the team. Deadline is 5 weeks away. Nothing will happen until we get closer to that date. Let's go Jeff.

Sometimes you have to lose to win.

Last edited:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Trading McD, Zucc, Grabner, Nash, DD and Holden for a mix of either young NHL player, prospects set to make it to the NHL next season and picks will set the team up for the future.

In the trades for McD, Zucc and Grabner, a first will be part of the trade. Nash will likely net a second and a mid level prospect. I can see DD and Holden going for at least a third. If all 2018 selections that would give the Rangers 9 picks in the first 93 selections. Ammo to move up to grab a top pick or to add a good young prospect if they chose to that route.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Trading McD, Zucc, Grabner, Nash, DD and Holden for a mix of either young NHL player, prospects set to make it to the NHL next season and picks will set the team up for the future.

In the trades for McD, Zucc and Grabner, a first will be part of the trade. Nash will likely net a second and a mid level prospect. I can see DD and Holden going for at least a third. If all 2018 selections that would give the Rangers 9 picks in the first 93 selections. Ammo to move up to grab a top pick or to add a good young prospect if they chose to that route.

If we somehow trade Zuccarello, McDonagh, Grabner and Nash for a 1st rounder (and more in the case of the first two), we can go into the draft with 5 picks on Friday

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I could see the Rangers trading McDonagh for Makar if the Avs decide to do that. We tried to trade up in the draft last summer to get Makar.

Pretty sure the rumors that got the most traction were that we really wanted Elias Pettersson, he was the target if we tried moving up. Not confirmed rumors by any means but i saw a lot more speculations of that then of Makar, we know for a fact that Pettersson was very high up NYRs list (confirmed by The Bobfather on draft day).

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Everyone knows this is a strong draft too which might mean teams are hesitant to trade 1st rounders, we might be more of the 2nd + prospect type deals for rentals atleast.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Everyone knows this is a strong draft too which might mean teams are hesitant to trade 1st rounders, we might be more of the 2nd + prospect type deals for rentals atleast.

Comes down to supply vs demand and how close those top teams think they are to winning.

Right now there are 8 teams that, unless they go on a Colorado like run aren't going to make it. If the Rangers fall out that would be 9. I don't know how that compares to years past.

Also not sure of those 8 teams, what desirable pending UFAs they have which a contending team might want.

McD and Zucc speak for themselves. Grabner will likely be a target for many teams, regardless of over supply of players available. 20 even strength goals, speed that fits many playoff teams systems and a great PKer.

If Nash keeps his production up from last 5 games (6pts) as we get closer to the deadline his value will increase as well.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Nash and Grabner will be two of the best options avail at th deadline if the rangers sell . A few 2nds like the Staal deal at worst

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Too many people on this board are reluctant to trade some of these players. It's not a risk. It's ridiculous. Gorton is not breaking up a championship team. Somehow the Rangers will be able to replace the grand total of eight goals contributed by Zuccarello and McDonagh this season. The risk is re-signing them to contract extensions. One guy will be 32 in the first season of his next contract. The other guy turns 30 in the first season of his next contract and his game isn't what it was a few years ago. They can't blame Girardi for dragging down McDonagh this season.

The Rangers didn't have much depth to begin with this season and the injuries are piling up. Kreider will be reevaluated after 6 weeks which takes him to February 18. No word what happens after that date. Sam Rosen said in the opening segment of the Rangers broadcast yesterday that Shattenkirk will be out for 8 weeks. The week of March 18. Hayes is dealing with a bone bruise. It happened two weeks ago and Hayes is 50/50 at best to play tonight. Is he playing the remaining two games before the ASB? Nash had a bone bruise a couple of years ago which lingered for weeks. They kept saying Nash should be back by this date but Nash wasn't ready to play.

The team is playing AHL players throughout the line-up. The injuries are a blessing in disguise. It allows Gorton to do what he wants to do which is rebuild/retool/reload,etc. Gorton is in his 3rd season as Rangers GM. It's time for him to put his own imprint on the team. Deadline is 5 weeks away. Nothing will happen until we get closer to that date. Let's go Jeff.

OF COURSE there's risk. What are you talking about?

McD - your trading away a year+ of a legit 1st pairing defenseman for futures that a.) might not pan out or b.) will likely not be as good as the guy you're replacing.

Zucc - see above

Lundqvist - wasting a year (+?) of the best goalie in the history of the franchise. Time is running out

Nash, Grabs, Holden - expiring contracts but you're still sending the entire team a message that you don't believe in them and the year is over for who knows what coming back

Crystal ball - it's clear you hate this team and I don't like their chances all that much either - but let's be honest here - outside of Tampa Bay there isn't a single team in the East that frightens me and TB, if we were successful, would be the third team we play. That's an opportunity you're giving up on.

I think it's the right move to trade the expirings, don't get me wrong, but don't act like we're not giving up anything by doing so.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017

Great post. Spot on. My fear is Hank. Does management feel they “owe” him and not rebuild. I continue to believe he’s going to hold this up which is why management should approach Hank and say this is what we are doing period! We will move you if you’re not ok with this to any team you want. Let Hank find his own team.
This allows us to recoup even more quality assets.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I feel like the Avs could be a dark horse for McD. They just loaded up on assets, have cap space, and have some young good pieces in the NHL

This is the team I’d look at but the conversation starts with Makar or nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad