Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VIII: Autumn in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Maybe claim him and send him to Wolfpack so he can build some confidence if we have cap room.
We`ve about 1.5 mil $ cap space referring to cap friendly - not sure if accurate.
G buyout cost us 2.6 mil $ this season and it will increase to 3.6 mil $ next season.

Last edited:

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Maybe claim him and send him to Wolfpack so he can build some confidence if we have cap room.
We`ve about 1.5 mil $ cap space referring to cap friendly - not sure if accurate.

I don't see the point of this. You want to claim him, have him on the roster and send him to Hartford in a few weeks for what? To do him a solid?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don't see the point of this. You want to claim him, have him on the roster and send him to Hartford in a few weeks for what? To do him a solid?
I would not claim him if it hurts our NHL or AHL team in any way. If we have a spot open and it doesn't hurt our cap then I would be happy to have a good nice guy in Hartford since I know he will help other guys like Redden did years ago.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah, I`m not updated his NHL page says he was in Florida last season - and if he took part of Detroit training camp earlier this year. Yeah, I guess it`s no point he is 25 already - too rough competition in New York at the moment with our defense.

Reactions: Ail

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He played most of the season with Florida, but was traded to Detroit on March 1st. Won the Calder Cup with the Griffins last season.

And yes, he would be further down the depth chart than when he was originally here.

Reactions: Ori

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I think the Kovacs move is based on the personal struggles he's dealing with. It does seem a little drastic though. If you go through unconditional waivers, you're no longer team property, right? Maybe should have just loaned him, or does he want to quit hockey altogether?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think the Kovacs move is based on the personal struggles he's dealing with. It does seem a little drastic though. If you go through unconditional waivers, you're no longer team property, right? Maybe should have just loaned him, or does he want to quit hockey altogether?
Correct, he'd no longer be NYR property.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If you can get Vatrano, I'd do it. Like SA said, he's a volume shooter, which we will probably need in our bottom 6.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

No idea, but it means he's a lost prospect. There could be bigger issues, if they wanted him in Sweden, they could have just loaned him back.

Given that he showed signs of skating like a pro, you have to wonder what the matter at hand is. It's atypical to give up on a prospect all together, maybe the agent or player was upset he didn't get a sniff in pre-season after getting one last year.

I said it before, and you saw it with Grachev as well, you don't want to bring a 19 year-old into the AHL unless they are well ahead of the curve above their peers. It's a very tough adjustment, and a tough league for them to play in.

Wasted pick.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Vatrano is the ultimate 4A player... just way way too good for the AHL, but can't carve a role in the NHL.

His shot can beat AHL goalies clean, but it's that of a 4th liner at the NHL.

He doesn't play a 4th line game. You're talking about a Plus version of Nigel Dawes here, and Nigel played well with the Rangers.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Day slides. Gettinger slides. Kovacs terminated. Samuelsson released. 45 contracts. Maybe Chytil will slide too. Zboro too. Crawley signs. I think two more signings are coming up. In addition to Crawley

Last edited:
Reactions: Revel

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Seem like (unfathomable) Desjardins plus somebody up front they are likely eying on the waiver wire tomorrow will get contracts. I cannot see it any other way.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Hindsight is 20/20. 2015 looks bad now, but NYR didn't draft badly. NYR drafted much better in 2015 then we did in 2014, just didn't work out, Saarela, Kovács, Morrison and Huska were all good/decent high risk/reward picks. Gropp was a bad pick but Gordie loved him, Bernhardt came off a very strong season in SuperElit, him busting hard is very surprising actually and Zborovskiy was a meh pick that looks pretty ok in hindsight.

Steve Kournianos‏ @TheDraftAnalyst
Steve Kournianos

2015 draft -- the deepest pool in 12 years -- turning into a disaster for the Rangers. Best remaining prospect is a 7th-round goalie.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Overage in that this would be his 5th OHL season. However, only due to his "exceptional" status. He's a '98, not a '97.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Steve Kournianos‏ @TheDraftAnalyst
Steve Kournianos

2015 draft -- the deepest pool in 12 years -- turning into a disaster for the Rangers. Best remaining prospect is a 7th-round goalie.

So? Yeah, it's turning into a disaster in hindsight, but on draft day it was far from a disaster. Can't evaluate how well a team drafted in hindsight, gotta evaluate how they did on draft day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad