Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Accountability is good, but only if applied evenly.
My bigger issue is that of we are making wholesale lineup changes after 1 game, wtf were they doing in camp? Clearly nothing there worked. Yes it's a young/inexperienced team, but you can't afford to waste the start of a shortened season finding answers that needed to be sorted sooner.

Moreover, you expect the growing pains and expect a toss up in the first game. Stick to your guns. Come out with the same lineup. Let the guys try to get comfortable, get a sense of chemistry. Shuffling everything shakes the confidence of everyone not named KZB Bread or Strome. Let them play a few games and overcome the struggles and see what you’ve actually got. Demand better effort. Don’t expect just shuffling things to make a difference. What’s going to happen? They’re going to skate harder because they have different linemates? Demand better effort, don’t expect making knee jerk adjustments to solve your problems.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This is on Martin and JD if this disaster with JJ continues. They had options. They wanted to bring in the guy they know and feel can play. well let's see.

This organization puts too much value on character. That isn't a Martin and JD problem, thats a top to bottom organizational philosophy problem.

Im not going to sit here and say that it doesn't matter, it does, you can't win with out it. It shouldn't supersede a player being able to do the bare minimum (at the very least) on the ice though, you can't win with those guys either.

I don't think JD is going to stand of a lot of the BS that Quinn is inevitably going to throw out there this year, but hes a relatively old school head so this isn't going to change anytime soon.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Kind of hard to buy Quinn's explanation when he has always resorted to benching ADA while accepting the faults of others. I like Strome, but how much tough love has he gotten for undisciplined penalties?

I just... I see someone showing emotion in a complete turd of performance against THE rival. ADA wasn't happy about anything anyone was doing. He didn't jeopardize anything or take an inopportune penalty.

But that's like the last thing Quinn saw that got him mad so he benched Tony again. And he kept Lemeiux on the bench. It like the two things in his toolbox.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Maybe there’s more to the story than a bad penalty. The guy is a notoriously thin skinned player. Maybe he didn’t respond well to criticism. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Reactions: Kords

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Johnson's contract should have been terminated after last night's game faster than Adam Gase was fired after the Jets finished their season.

You can't tell me with a straight face that at least one of Smith, Reunanen, or Robertson would have been any worse.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I think our “thing” this year, should be sarcastic homage to how important it is to have veteran like JMFJ!!! in the locker room. Thus, we should refer to every playing on the team as such: Alexis Mother f***ing Lafreniere, or AMFL.

Sick save by IMFS! Big hit by RMFL there.

Please click like, share and subscribe below :sarcasm:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Like seriously. What metrics are Gorton, JD, and co using that showed that Johnson was going to be a good signing?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
This organization puts too much value on character. That isn't a Martin and JD problem, thats a top to bottom organizational philosophy problem.

Im not going to sit here and say that it doesn't matter, it does, you can't win with out it. It shouldn't supersede a player being able to do the bare minimum (at the very least) on the ice though, you can't win with those guys either.

I don't think JD is going to stand of a lot of the BS that Quinn is inevitably going to throw out there this year, but hes a relatively old school head so this isn't going to change anytime soon.

I have always been under the same impression, something like they are trying to build some sort of perfectly happy locker room where every player and coach gets along great, on ice everyone will give 100%, while playing mistake free hockey, yet in reality that actually happening seems pretty far fetched. I'd kind of rather see them just accept that things are messy, not everyone gets along or sees eye to eye, and not always fall back on more character being the solution.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Like seriously. What metrics are Gorton, JD, and co using that showed that Johnson was going to be a good signing?
Forget the metrics I'm sure their eyesight has to be good enough. NY has terrific optometrists. It's so surreal we went from Staal to JJ. WTF.
No offense to Smith but next year it will be nice to wipe the slate clean. Hopefully.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Did anyone know his full name is:

John Joseph Mother Fing Louis Johnson III

Maybe we signed him because he has so many middle names and numerals.

Also he’s managed to play almost 1000 NHL games so far and is a career -115. Which is the worst on the team by quite a lot. But also we only have 6 career + players. Lindgren and Fox, Trouba, Kreids, Bread and Strome. And Strome became a + players last year.

Actually, Jack Johnson ranks 501 out of 506 active NHL players in +/-

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Forget the metrics I'm sure their eyesight has to be good enough. NY has terrific optometrists. It's so surreal we went from Staal to JJ. WTF.
No offense to Smith but next year it will be nice to wipe the slate clean. Hopefully.
well we still got Trouba, so not completely clean. Although I think he can perform well in the right system.

Reactions: bl02

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
well we still got Trouba, so not completely clean. Although I think he can perform well in the right system.
I don’t get it, trouba didn’t play that bad last night. He was physically engaged, when he wasn’t forced to cover for miller’s mistakes he clearly played well. He may never be the defender who can dominate and tilt the ice by himself, but if he has a solid partner he can easily be worth that contract.

Reactions: egelband

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Gauthier was good last night. DQ logic: He DiDnT hAvE gOoD iNtEnTiOnS....

but you know who did? JMFJ, responsible for 3 goals against... first pair! He had good intentions... of playing for the other team? This guy is such a f***ing clown.
The sooner management cuts their losses and gets rid of this guy, the sooner our young guys might actually develop, instead of having to worry about intentions.
Pro scouting at its finest!

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Absolutely agreed.

Quinn's statement on it today was "if someone plays better than you, they're going to earn the opportunity over you". If he's going to take that stance, how does he justify demoting Gauthier to the 4th line? He was one of our best players last night. Or how do you justify moving Jack Johnson up to the 2nd pair? He was atrocious.

Ultimately, there's no consistency to what he's doing...and it's at the expense of growing our young talent.
I got $20 that says jj starts tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad