Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think the benching is a byproduct of two years of trying to get through to the guy before he got a big payday, and then his first game after said payday he goes back to selfish overreaction. Probably just trying to nip this before it has a chance to snowball. ADA has made great strides but he like everyone had a bad game, he unlike others took the stupid selfish penalty

I don't think he had a bad game, but agree w the rest of your post.

Reactions: egelband

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I don't think he had a bad game, but agree w the rest of your post.
I thought he had some rough moments, we beat defensively on some plays and clearly Barzel had some fun with him on the goal. He also made some nice plays, but it was certainly not his best game. Regardless his sitting is almost assuredly about the extra pim.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
Trying not to overreact, it’s one game, but don’t see how Kakko is in a position to succeed.
Absolutely agreed.

Quinn's statement on it today was "if someone plays better than you, they're going to earn the opportunity over you". If he's going to take that stance, how does he justify demoting Gauthier to the 4th line? He was one of our best players last night. Or how do you justify moving Jack Johnson up to the 2nd pair? He was atrocious.

Ultimately, there's no consistency to what he's doing...and it's at the expense of growing our young talent.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I mean, honest question here. Does the Rangers front office sign a designated marginal to bad player on purpose every year and reward them to infuriate their fans to direct attention away from disappointments elsewhere? Genuinely curious here.

We have Johnson now. Girardi and Staal before that. Glass during the AV days. Marcel Hossa in the Renney days. Who was that player in the Torts era? Genuinely drawing a blank there.
Girardi and Staal were at homegrown players, team leaders and were at one point very good players. Johnson was one of the worst players in the league on a better team last year and they still went out and signed him, and now are force feeding him minutes. It just boggles the mind.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Dead horse/Moot Point/Might not have worked cap wise/Player might not have wanted to come here-aside.......I really wish they signed Zdeno Chara instead of Jack f***ing Johnson....

Not only because he doesn't suck nearly as much butt as JJ, but dude's a legend and leader. If youre Lindgren or K'Andre, you'd be starstruck playing with him and being in same room as him. I'd be trying to soak up everything he does and says.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I am convinced that they signed Jack Johnson to help this tank for the next 1st overall draft pick.:sarcasm: either that or Rangers management does not anything about real NHL talent.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Bench DeAngelo for getting frustrated in a bad team game, but keep Jack Johnson in the lineup in a non sheltered role while being -3 and responsible for a penalty that resulted in the 4th goal against?

Makes sense to me :rolleyes:

When all is said and done there may be more posts about Jack Johnson than minutes he plays.

Or so I was told.

Not a big deal.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Fine with Quinn’s “if someone plays better than you than they earn the minutes” response but it doesn’t hold water. If that were true, based off of last game we should be seeing:

Lafreniere - Howden - Gauthier
Kreider - Z - Buch
Panarin - Chytil - Kakko
Lemieux - Strome - PDG
Lindgren - Fox
DeAngelo - Trouba
Miller - Smith

Not saying I want to see that. Just saying, he always SAYS the right thing, but the actual actions are more his own whims than following some staunch philosophy like he makes it sound.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Wait I just logged on. Is he really pushing JJ to play with Fox? Of course I'm guessing he's playing musical chairs already to see who can fit with Trouba? Is Lindgren now paired with Trouba?
Just put Smith with Trouba and be done with it until we really see some of these young LHD develop

Reactions: egelband

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Wait I just logged on. Is he really pushing JJ to play with Fox? Of course I'm guessing he's playing musical chairs already to see who can fit with Trouba? Is Lindgren now paired with Trouba?
Just put Smith with Trouba and be done with it until we really see some of these young LHD develop

DeAngelo out, Smith in.

JJ - Fox
Lindgren - Trouba
Miller - Smith

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Dead horse/Moot Point/Might not have worked cap wise/Player might not have wanted to come here-aside.......I really wish they signed Zdeno Chara instead of Jack f***ing Johnson....

Not only because he doesn't suck nearly as much butt as JJ, but dude's a legend and leader. If youre Lindgren or K'Andre, you'd be starstruck playing with him and being in same room as him. I'd be trying to soak up everything he does and says.
Ditto! Only thing I can think of is Chara did NOT want to come here otherwise a failure by by JD AND JG.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Trying not to overreact, it’s one game, but don’t see how Kakko is in a position to succeed.
I'm trying to use the same restraint. But I've had a growing concern over prospect development. They forced Lias and Holden into NHL starting roles out of team needs to the detriment to their development. Ryan Graves absolutely blossomed the second he left. Kakko was given very little opportunity to succeed last season. Kravtsov and Lias received very poor communication over play and demotions to the point both relationships were nearly ruined.

We can explain away any one situation. Needed a kick in ass like JT Miller. Bad attitude. Most prospects fizzle out. But there is a trend developing. I don't really have to appetite to see Miller get developed like Del Zotto. Thrown into the deep end and benched for struggling. We'll see on this case.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
ADA is officially out? Or is that what the practice lines were today?
If it is the former what a joke.

Can’t see how not letting Tony practice with the main group but then playing him with the main group is punishment for Tony or helps the team, so I’m imagining he’s sitting next game.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

At least he’s focused on the big problems like one emotional penalty late in a blowout and not the 7 other penalties that were taken due to laziness (plus the bench minor he could blame himself for) or the complete listlessness of his guys. Good on him.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Thanks. You know what with this coach it doesn't matter. Not worth getting worked up about it. All the lines will be changing again. Pretty soon Lafreniere will be centering the third line and Chytil will be the 4th line winger.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Ben Hutton just signed for 950k.

In other words, 200k less than Jack Johnson
This is on Martin and JD if this disaster with JJ continues. They had options. They wanted to bring in the guy they know and feel can play. well let's see.

Reactions: Mikachu93

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
No ADA tomorrow. Good luck with guys like JJ, Smith and even Trouba trying to use their speed and skate the puck out of the zone.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Accountability is good, but only if applied evenly.
My bigger issue is that of we are making wholesale lineup changes after 1 game, wtf were they doing in camp? Clearly nothing there worked. Yes it's a young/inexperienced team, but you can't afford to waste the start of a shortened season finding answers that needed to be sorted sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad