Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

he's right though the escrow cap sounds great for the players but really makes no sense. the whole point of escrow is that at the end of the day its a 50/50 share. without escrow its still a 50/50 share. whether the owners get that $$ up front in escrow or later in future years. so the players with long term deals love it, but it screws guys that will need new contracts in the next handful of years while the cap remains flat because the players 'owe' the owners due to not paying escrow.

this has always been a problem for the nhlpa. they seem to always do what favors the top guys who already have their big contracts at the expense of the majority not in that boat.

I get being pissed that the league wants to renegotiate things...but at the end of the day its gonna be 50/50 so we are just talking semantics of how to get there and how long it takes to get back to even...the PA's focus should be on what can we get in return for agreeing rather than fighting it whether that be interest on the deferrals that don't count against the future cap or whatever that they can try to use the owners need for this as leverage.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
he's right though the escrow cap sounds great for the players but really makes no sense. the whole point of escrow is that at the end of the day its a 50/50 share. without escrow its still a 50/50 share. whether the owners get that $$ up front in escrow or later in future years. so the players with long term deals love it, but it screws guys that will need new contracts in the next handful of years while the cap remains flat because the players 'owe' the owners due to not paying escrow.

this has always been a problem for the nhlpa. they seem to always do what favors the top guys who already have their big contracts at the expense of the majority not in that boat.

I get being pissed that the league wants to renegotiate things...but at the end of the day its gonna be 50/50 so we are just talking semantics of how to get there and how long it takes to get back to even...the PA's focus should be on what can we get in return for agreeing rather than fighting it whether that be interest on the deferrals that don't count against the future cap or whatever that they can try to use the owners need for this as leverage.

It's not an escrow cap. Referring it to as such is really just a misdirection and makes people, including the players, think that the situation is something it isn't. It's really a limited escrow deferral, which doesn't sound as good, but is definitely more accurate.

Everything you said in the last paragraph can be said about the owners too. If it's going to be 50/50 at the end of it all any way, what does it matter if the players defer the money now? The ownership group, as a whole, is in a far better position to take the hit today and get that money back later. The owners that aren't in a great position to do that can be propped up by the owners who can.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I wonder why the other owners are so short-sighted they can't see that Buttface and Jacobs are destroying their league.
Oh they love Bettman. He does whatever they want him to. They robbed the players blind in the last CBA back in the early 2000's. Only cost the hockey world an entire year of hockey.

Deleted member 23124

Oh they love Bettman. He does whatever they want him to. They robbed the players blind in the last CBA back in the early 2000's. Only cost the hockey world an entire year of hockey.
I don't think they all like him. But as long as Jacobs has 7 people to agree with him, Bettman can do as he pleases. I think that's one of biggest reasons they didn't want Balsillie -- he was definitely going to rock the boat.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
The only thing my fiancé let on the tree that isn’t red, white or gold.
FECE9591-0A5F-42EC-848E-2C2A41B41B8D.jpeg

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
Sounds Like they’re starting to make progress (which is a joke shouldn’t be commended on this)

Friedman reporting Jan 15th being floated camps starting Jan 1
Yeah and then it’ll be pushing for feb 1st. These guys actually suck ass. A 48 game season is going to blow. If we are slow out of the game we’ll already be out of playoff contention.

or worse a good team like the leafs shit the bed and then get another top pick

Reactions: WAIVE BRODZINSKI

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Cant believe this league continues to do this crap. The owners and Bettman are like politicians, they know they will lose more money in a long season but don't wanna take the blame for only playing another short season so they start fighting with the PA months after making a deal.

Reactions: WAIVE BRODZINSKI

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

I can’t believe a union would negotiate a position that favors the top guys!

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey

You're right about the bottom line, but I think the players are digging in on a few areas for different reasons.

First, its a risky proposition for any union to open a CBA just because one side is making demands. It opens the door for that tactic in the future. You really have to make it a big deal when one side tries to alter the contract. This may be a unique situation but what if some principles get applied later. There could be "unforeseen" economic impacts in the future and the owners try to change the deal.

Second, the owners don't seem to be offering anything for the proposition. The players are already deferring money, INTREST FREE, for years. They are borrowing money from players for free, less than a year before they are gifted $32 million each from Seattle. And the players don't get a sniff of that. "Partnership" seems to only be relevant to the owners when it's convenient. The players asked for interest on the deferrals if they alter a four month old contract. I don't blame the players for balking so far.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You're right about the bottom line, but I think the players are digging in on a few areas for different reasons.

First, its a risky proposition for any union to open a CBA just because one side is making demands. It opens the door for that tactic in the future. You really have to make it a big deal when one side tries to alter the contract. This may be a unique situation but what if some principles get applied later. There could be "unforeseen" economic impacts in the future and the owners try to change the deal.

Second, the owners don't seem to be offering anything for the proposition. The players are already deferring money, INTREST FREE, for years. They are borrowing money from players for free, less than a year before they are gifted $32 million each from Seattle. And the players don't get a sniff of that. "Partnership" seems to only be relevant to the owners when it's convenient. The players asked for interest on the deferrals if they alter a four month old contract. I don't blame the players for balking so far.

your point one here is open and shut. This is why you don’t even entertain it. It’s a terrible precedent to set and any delays in the season at this point should be considered an illegal lockout

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The players always overvalue themselves in negotiations. Based on their comments they don't understand what they're talking about and as much as they think they are the product - they actually are not.

Reactions: mas0764
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad