Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is Zibby currently in Sweden? Lindbom our wonderful selection in the second round few years back taking shots from Mika?

Yes. They aren't allowed to travel to the US at the moment. That's why Georgiev is in Finland since he's a Finnish resident.

Georgiev is an interesting case. Bulgarian birth right, Russian citizenship, Finnish residency, American employment.

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Sounds Like they’re starting to make progress (which is a joke shouldn’t be commended on this)

Friedman reporting Jan 15th being floated camps starting Jan 1

Reactions: egelband and bl02

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'll quoting the bureau of labor statistics off of my memory here, so do forgive the estimate figures if they are not exactly precise. I haven't been following this latest round of labor unrest, but I thought I should share a reasonable perspective on the potential impact of player's paychecks down the line.

If I understand the general outline of the CBA, it is a revenue share split between the players and the owners. I don't think that can be changed. Since I'm not following the dispute, I honestly don't know what the issue is, but if it's just deferment, then it's not the end of the world. Losing a new fanbase that's entering the workforce is.... and that's just dumb. Most Gen-Z hockey players started entering the pro ranks a few years back, but their peer group happens to be entering the workforce now. That teammate you have that spends their entire time on the iPad on the flight... yeah them they are starting to make their way into the workforce now.

No content, no engagement, no Gen-Z, lower future earnings. Capiche?

Real GDP saw a decline in Q4 2019 by 5%, and a took massive hit in Q1 2020 by almost 33%. Back to back quarters means you are in a recession... no shit, mostly everyone is feeling it. But to put that into perspective, one-third of the entire economy shut down. In other words, the owners took a hit most of them did.

That being said, the recovery has started. Meaning society isn't in the same trough as earlier in the year. There will be an invariable upswing, one that may not reach previous heights right away, but to miss out on the uptick means you are literally punting away dollars. Circulation takes time. If it's deferment, then that's a better option than losing a new market while closing up shop for an existing market that is going to open up their wallets.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'll add another point.

The employment rate was the highest it's ever been in the history of 23 states Pre-Covid, and through the start of Covid, before the shutdown. What does that mean? It means society was doing well within their current infrastructures, especially in those 23 states. Are things going to be the same? No, but it means you will have a market that can recover back to peak levels.

Most of the NHL are in those states.

So if you scored a 100, and that's your best ever hundred. You got dinged up and you are at 66%, then that's where the bottom was (at the macro level). Today we aren't at that peak 100, but we aren't at that 66% either. We have a trolley that moves up slowly. If we don't get on the trolley we are at zero. That's the equation.

I know it's oversimplifying the ordinances and these figures don't directly affect NHL players. But it affects your consumer market. They will spend, it could be on you or it could not.

Reactions: egelband and RGY

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Blame the NHL for the lack of presence. They do everything possible to bury their own sport. I’m disgusted right now. Completely directionless league this past month. The lights are basically completely off. No one is doing anything. No one knows when they’re going to play if they’re going to play. That’s why they can’t grow the game. Putting the fans under constant duress between constant labor disputes and a ridiculous hard cap. Instead of enjoying the league it’s more and more worrying about financials. The public has enough of that in their own lives.

Historically the NHL has done a terrible job marketing itself yet i can’t blame them for this past month or pandemic. They did manage a Stanley Cup playoff while the financials are real. I’ve mentioned it before, i think Bettman has taken this league as far as he can. It was both Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder which flip the script on NFL marketing. Never mind their team’s yearly records, it was those two who had the marketing vision. The Giants, Steelers, Bears, Packers, etc ownerships did not originate this marketing machine.

As far as Covid, the mighty NFL is likely headed into absolute chaos so i don’t think we can expect the NHL to have a sound plan with wave two still young.

Good news though - the Rangers don’t have an older than dirt roster so are as safe as any team can be. Let’s just hope half the league’s teams don’t file for bankruptcy.

Reactions: egelband

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The thing about this pandemic is without it, we wouldn’t have gotten Laf. There’s a chance we made the playoffs outright, which would’ve taken us out entirely, but if we didn’t, the lottery becomes like a 2% chance rather than a 12.5% chance. So I’m kinda like whatever about when the league starts back up tbh. We got a potential franchise player out of it.

Reactions: leetch99

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
That being said, the recovery has started. Meaning society isn't in the same trough as earlier in the year. There will be an invariable upswing, one that may not reach previous heights right away, but to miss out on the uptick means you are literally punting away dollars. Circulation takes time. If it's deferment, then that's a better option than losing a new market while closing up shop for an existing market that is going to open up their wallets.

i think we’ll see hockey in the Spring. March at the earliest.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
The thing about this pandemic is without it, we wouldn’t have gotten Laf. There’s a chance we made the playoffs outright, which would’ve taken us out entirely, but if we didn’t, the lottery becomes like a 2% chance rather than a 12.5% chance. So I’m kinda like whatever about when the league starts back up tbh. We got a potential franchise player out of it.

agree 100%.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Historically the NHL has done a terrible job marketing itself yet i can’t blame them for this past month or pandemic. They did manage a Stanley Cup playoff while the financials are real. I’ve mentioned it before, i think Bettman has taken this league as far as he can. It was both Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder which flip the script on NFL marketing. Never mind their team’s yearly records, it was those two who had the marketing vision. The Giants, Steelers, Bears, Packers, etc ownerships did not originate this marketing machine.

As far as Covid, the mighty NFL is likely headed into absolute chaos so i don’t think we can expect the NHL to have a sound plan with wave two still young.

Good news though - the Rangers don’t have an older than dirt roster so are as safe as any team can be. Let’s just hope half the league’s teams don’t file for bankruptcy.

I would say player controversy and Roger Goodell did a lot more. Jerry is Jerry, I don't think there is another magnate like him, but having a feeder league in the NCAA where 60-100K people gather for an event is the kind of marketing that helped catapult the NFL to it's heights.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I would say player controversy and Roger Goodell did a lot more. Jerry is Jerry, I don't think there is another magnate like him, but having a feeder league in the NCAA where 60-100K people gather for an event is the kind of marketing that helped catapult the NFL to it's heights.

yeah, the NCAA helps too. Besides the NCAA stars however, not many follow or know many of these kids before draft day. They have made them celebrities though. IMO, the game is awful yet marketed as the greatest the game has ever been with QB’s treated like rockstars and everybody celebrating themselves. It’s like a page out of the WWF as the game has become a show. Add in your fantasy gambling dollars and it’s an addiction.

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

good stuff - betting they go back to the board and discuss that escrow which doesn’t work w/o the gate.

i didn’t think about Christmas. All of them would have to give it up for a Jan 1 start b/c they would all have to quarantine if they left.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m in an abusive relationship For sure. Just dropped 250 bucks on a retro reverse jersey while the nhl beats me up

Reactions: Leetch3

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
PS I also just spoke to someone in an nhl front office and they don’t expect the players to budge on Christmas. However quarantine rules are being cut back. Conceivable to leave on the 26th and be cleared for camp by the 2nd or 3rd no?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I’m in an abusive relationship For sure. Just dropped 250 bucks on a retro reverse jersey while the nhl beats me up

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kovalev27

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The NHL will bare the full wrath of my OCD if the shortened schedule isn't 48 games again.

Also, OV's shots at the goal record just took a big hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad