Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Is the assumption now that any trades involving an RFA would happen after they're re-signed?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
There has to be some ulterior play here.

Shestyorkin is our goaltender and that's very expensive for a backup.
I actually don’t think it’s anything crazy tbh

They like Georgiev and are going to keep him for now. The schedule next year will be condensed so having a backup they really trust helps.

And they’ll flip him for a decent return when the time comes

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A bit rich on the Georgiev deal. I was thinking a little under $2MM for a single year, a little over for two. Only a couple of hundred thousand, but those count when you're this tight to the cap...

Hopefully they have all their other moves lined up such that it won't be a problem.
I certainly hope so but this team and planning have never had a happy relationship.

You could make a six-man lineup of fairly recent Rangers buyouts.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah most of those are Sather specials though and he's gone.
That's fair but at the same time, I'll believe they've really changed when I see a large sample of it.

Shattenkirk, Trouba, and Johnson have all been right out of the old playbook. Again, this team has a particular pattern with defensemen.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Including Rooney, Blackwell, PDG and Bitetto we well as counting the $4MM in dead cap space for bonus overage. Rangers have $11.7MM to resign ADA, Strome and Lemiuex.

extremely unlikely that all 4 of those guys make the team...unless there is a surprise cut I don't think there is another spots so you can probably add 700k to that total.

Yeah, it's possible that 2 of Rooney, Blackwell, PDG are cut and not replaced, since we'd be at 14 forwards with all of them (once Strome and Lemmy sign). We'll be fine carrying only 12 forwards, as Smith can act as both 13th forward and 7th dman. It might be really tight though if Kravtsov or Barron make the team. Rooney, Blackwell and PDG each make between 700k and 750k. Kravtsov and Barron will be 1.775 mil each.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I don't think is disdain so much as cost.

If you think a player might be available for free in a week, you're less inclined to move assets for him. Additionally, you might be okay at $4m ot even $4.25m, but less comfortable with that number approaching 5.

If Strome was signed for another season on his expiring deal, he'd likely have been moved by now.
So a possibility is that Strome comes in at $4.5 and if the Rangers are out of the playoffs, he might revalue by the trade deadline?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That's fair but at the same time, I'll believe they've really changed when I see a large sample of it.

Shattenkirk, Trouba, and Johnson have all been right out of the old playbook. Again, this team has a particular pattern with defensemen.

How though? They're all pretty different players who were acquired at different times in their careers and their contract structures couldn't be more different.

I'd agree if they signed Shattenkirk for 6-7 years, but they didn't.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So a possibility is that Strome comes in at $4.5 and if the Rangers are out of the playoffs, he might revalue by the trade deadline?

you’d have to think so.

Deadline rentals with retained salary are gonna be in crazy demand with how low the cap is.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How though? They're all pretty different players who were acquired at different times in their careers and their contract structures couldn't be more different.

I'd agree if they signed Shattenkirk for 6-7 years, but they didn't.
Shattenkirk and Trouba were both big money moves on defense that were are are disappointing so far. Some of the elements change but they feel like sequels of the same movie.

Johnson is just another grit/vet move and Gorton is just as in love with that as Sather was.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Johnson is just another grit/vet move and Gorton is just as in love with that as Sather was.
Are we really going to pretend that this isn't an issue with 99% of NHL GMs?

This league is riddled with shitty vets that don't deserve half the chances these managers & coaches give them.

Reactions: GoAwayStaal

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Right now, I’d say ceiling is a middle 6 winger. Things could change if he can show he can be a center in this league. But he has not been doing it in College, and anyone just assuming he can be a 3C let alone a 2C without having been working on this in College, is setting themselves up for disappointment. And listen, I really hope he can be a Center. He has good size, smarts, pays attention to both sides of the puck, etc., all the makings for a Center, and we certainly have a need there. But he hasn’t been developing there to this point. To expect him to not only make the jump to the NHL beating out his peers, which we have a lot of, and then to also make the jump to Center and all the responsibilities that come with it while lining up against Pros who are legit centers, is a tall task to ask of the kid.
Sounds more like if all goes well he can be a 2 line winger or excellent 3 line winger 2PP. I hope he can penalty kill well. Seems like a big smart kid but I confess I don’t know too much about him. I do know that the organization is very high on him for sure though

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

This league is riddled with shitty vets that don't deserve half the chances these managers & coaches give them.
This is true but even Larry Brooks thinks Johnson was a weird signing.

I would definitely say it's more of an issue for some teams and we're right at the top of that list.

Also, there's a way to do it and a way not to. Tampa has a bunch of things and stuff players but none of them are dreadful. Luke Schenn is the only one below replacement level and he played 25 games.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I feel like there is a huge disconnect between the type of dmen that fans think are the most valuable and the dmen that are actually on the team that wins the cup

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I feel like Smith and Shattenkirk were another kick at the can mentality while Lundqvist was still in his prime.

Trouba I think they, whoever they are, plain always liked and they got a little carried away.

JJ is to partially appease the new yet old defensive coach and add a defender who can pk. He also has gone through some stuff and maybe can give a little wisdom to the younger guys in terms of being careful about their newly found riches.

Geo, I think they liked, they feel as if he could be a starter on another team yet no other team was biting on that idea in trade value. This turns him into a asset they likely eventually trade at some point, maybe even returning better value. I think it's a good gamble.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Problem is that creates a lot of ifs and buts. The first "if" starts regarding Kreider being able to move over successfully. Of course it could happen. But will it? We all know that switching positions is not that easy. Not unheard of, but far from common. So great IF he can, BUT what if it does not work? Now you are going in with Kakko as your top RW. Great, IF he is ready. BUT what if he is not? And that leaves Gauthier battling Kravstov to see who the second line RW is. Not a scenario I think that is envisioned. I think that anytime you have a scenario whose success is predicated on player X being able to shift positions, you are on a very slippery slope.
I don’t think kreider switching is gonna be a big deal honestly. Most of his game is played around the front of the net anyway or having ADA or Fox thread a beauty of a pass and send him off to the races. Krieds speed also compensated for any mental errors he might make. May take like a 5-10 game adjustment period but I doubt it.
Buchy’s days are numbered no matter what
RW
Krieder
Kakko
Gauthier
Barron
Kravtsov
It’s jus a matter of time. I doubt they shift Panarin even though I’m sure he could play RW but it seems top 2 LW is gona be Panarin and Lafreniere for a long time and I’m ok with that

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

There are only 31 GMs. 99% isn't an achievable percentage with that figure.

Reactions: Leetch3 and SA16

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Signing Kreider and Trouba kinda screwed us

I won’t say screwed, but they’re not great decisions. Hindsight always is clearer though. Trouba was coming off a 50+ point season as a righty in his prime. We had no idea DeAngelo would bust the doors off and I can’t even remember if we’d acquired Fox yet, but we certainly didn’t know how good he’d be. Lundkvist hadn’t had another great season yet either. And the cap was trending up rapidly. Trouba isn’t old and they thought he’d anchor the D for years to come, though the contract is steep.

Re-signing Kreider and self renting Fast when we were outside of a playoff spot was a worse decision and more at odds with our purported plan. Yes, we were looking like hopefuls, but hopefuls and contenders are not the same thing. At the TDL Fast could have gotten a decent return and Kreider could have certainly brought back good assets. Yes, Kreider’s physicality and leadership and net front are all assets, but 7 years at 6.5M brings him to 36. The contract, in my opinion, will be movable in years 3-7 if we have to move it, even if it means retaining 1.5 or so. Not the end of the world. Again, the cap was trending up rapidly as well and there was no way to predict the flat cap, let alone multiple years of it, and they never could have guessed they’d luck into a potential franchise LW.

Ultimately I’m not upset at either move, but Trouba’s AAV stings and not moving Kreider/Fast at the TDL just somewhat contradicts the mantra of patience. I like both as players. I wish Trouba was at 6.5 and Kreider was at 6 for only 4 years. C’est la vie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad