Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This season Barron won 117 of 202 faceoffs, 58% clip.
That is news to me since the other guy who follows Cornell closely said he wasnt playing center at all. Where did you find those stats? I didnt think the colleges posted faceoff statistics or sites like eliteprospects.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Is a Buch+ for Monahan trade a realistic possibility?

I'm a huge Buch fan but I make that move. I know we have concerns about the RW depth going forward but with all the young talent on the wings we have and Kravtsov as a similar player who will be much cheaper than Buch going forward (would people be comfortable signing Buch for 6x6 or something because his next deal will probably be around there) I feel Buch may be expendable in a deal to acquire a center.

Miz

Jun 2, 2011
At first glance it looks a bit high, but if you're comparing salaries to other goalies in that cap hit range, It's not a bad deal at all.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm glad we kept Georgie. Not losing sleep over signing another goalie to save 500 k. Others like Crawford almost got 4 million per. Seems like a great team guy and with probably a compressed season will be nice to have two goalies who can play. He probably got "overpaid" 250-500k

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
May be the front office has some high hopes on some of the non-star potential prospects going into the coming season. Possibly they may feel that Barron could slide into that 3rd line center role to provide some defensive responsibility and is solid in the face-off circle. The question would be who would flank him? You don't want to have a line of rookies in Laff/Barron/Gauthier.

If the Rangers do not walk away from Strome or trade for a 2C, possibly Chytil slides to the Right? Laff - Barron - Chytil.

I would still like to see a depth veteran forward who is solid defensively and can PK signed. Not a fan of Howden.

Kreider - Zbad - Buch
Panarin - Strome - Kakko
Laff - Barron - Chytil
Lemiuex - Soderberg - Gauthier
This makes no sense. Why would they move Chytil to wing, after letting him play the entire season at center last year? And doesn't Barron have to not only make the team first but also show that he is better at center (a position he has not played a ton of over the last year) than Chytil?

There are also plenty of 4C candidates here (Howden & Rooney), so why does it make sense to throw any money at Soderberg?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Georgiev a little too high but not bad. Not prohibitive enough to stop a move either.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Including Rooney, Blackwell, PDG and Bitetto we well as counting the $4MM in dead cap space for bonus overage. Rangers have $11.7MM to resign ADA, Strome and Lemiuex.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
This makes no sense. Why would they move Chytil to wing, after letting him play the entire season at center last year? And doesn't Barron have to not only make the team first but also show that he is better at center (a position he has not played a ton of over the last year) than Chytil?

There are also plenty of 4C candidates here (Howden & Rooney), so why does it make sense to throw any money at Soderberg?

Honestly because both are not good players. Rooney is a journeyman and Howden has shown nothing.

It was just taking a stab at what the front office may be thinking and they could easily swap Barron with Chytil on that 3rd line. It was just an assumption that they may see something more in a prospect like Barron where they feel hes further along then what we posterd may think.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm kinda bleh on that but I'm not freaking out. And I hate goalies, so...

But again, I'm just not sure what the Rangers are up to here.

Perhaps showcasing him for a trade next year? He'll have more value with a contract.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I believe a 3 year deal would have taken him to UFA status. so rangers likely wanted to stay at 2 years to have him as a RFA again as they decide what to do with him...

also guessing that they suspected that this is in the ballpark of what he would have gotten on a 2 year arbitration deal.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Including Rooney, Blackwell, PDG and Bitetto we well as counting the $4MM in dead cap space for bonus overage. Rangers have $11.7MM to resign ADA, Strome and Lemiuex.

extremely unlikely that all 4 of those guys make the team...unless there is a surprise cut I don't think there is another spots so you can probably add 700k to that total.

Reactions: UAGoalieGuy

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Buch going does create a challenge on the right side, and I think the Rangers are aware of that. You could see Kreider, Kakko, Gauthier in the top 9. It's also possible they give Kravtsov a long look if they think he can challenge.

But you're right, it's not a scenario without some serious consideration or concern.
Problem is that creates a lot of ifs and buts. The first "if" starts regarding Kreider being able to move over successfully. Of course it could happen. But will it? We all know that switching positions is not that easy. Not unheard of, but far from common. So great IF he can, BUT what if it does not work? Now you are going in with Kakko as your top RW. Great, IF he is ready. BUT what if he is not? And that leaves Gauthier battling Kravstov to see who the second line RW is. Not a scenario I think that is envisioned. I think that anytime you have a scenario whose success is predicated on player X being able to shift positions, you are on a very slippery slope.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
What I heard about Rooney was that he got regular pk minutes and other teams did not score very much when he was on the ice in those situations. They're looking at Johnson as well as a guy to play in penalty kill situations.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The deal is fine. Keeps him a RFA at the end which increases his value when we likely trade him during the 2nd season of it so he can be a starting goalie somewhere else.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There has to be some ulterior play here.

Shestyorkin is our goaltender and that's very expensive for a backup.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Honestly because both are not good players. Rooney is a journeyman and Howden has shown nothing.

It was just taking a stab at what the front office may be thinking and they could easily swap Barron with Chytil on that 3rd line. It was just an assumption that they may see something more in a prospect like Barron where they feel hes further along then what we posterd may think.
Howden is still young and Rooney is not really that old either, plays with an edge and is very good on the PK.

I would doubt that Gorton or JD think that they could "easily" swap in Barron for Chytil. Again, Barron has not played that much at center this past year. Chytil spent the entire year there. It is one thing to think that a prospect is further along than we the fans do. It is another to be that comfortable with a player who has not played a single second of professional hockey AND believe that he can easily play a position he as not been playing that much of.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
A bit rich on the Georgiev deal. I was thinking a little under $2MM for a single year, a little over for two. Only a couple of hundred thousand, but those count when you're this tight to the cap...

Hopefully they have all their other moves lined up such that it won't be a problem.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There has to be some ulterior play here.

Shestyorkin is our goaltender and that's very expensive for a backup.
Could be the a signed Georgiev makes for a good trading chip.

But I think that they want to hedge their bet a bit here. No matter what we think of him, I am not sure that Shestyorkin is ready to take on Henke's full load. I could see where Georgiev gets in 25 games or so.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A bit rich on the Georgiev deal. I was thinking a little under $2MM for a single year, a little over for two. Only a couple of hundred thousand, but those count when you're this tight to the cap...
Agreed. A bit too rich for what I was expecting. But it does give a peace of mind that there is somebody competent behind Shestyorkin.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad