Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Lemieux should get signed next hopefully not more than Georgie got. Was hoping around 2 for Georgie and 1.5-1.8 for Lemieux. Looks like we are gonna have around what 11-12 million for Strome/ADA? Need a million left over.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I certainly prefer Monahan to Strome, but it's not that simple. And I know you aren't implying its that easy.

He costs $2m more than what we project Strome at. So we trade Buchnevich, walk from Strome, and crowbar ADA in? The right side is barren. So you play a left wing off side or put Chytil there and go with Howden on the 3rd? That's asking a lot from Kakko.

Monahan is the same defensive contribution as Strome, so you pay more for a guy to get points with your top wing. He's the better player but I don't know if that is the better team.

I need more info, I guess. Do we have a trade lined up for Strome? Or do we have a landing spot for Smith that isn't negative assets? Are there more moving parts other than Buch and Monahan? ADA and Hanafin? I'm inclined to wait for teams to part with a player for cap reasons.

There's a couple of ways to approach it. Strome is probably coming in closer to $5 million (if I had to guess). But let's the say the Rangers prefer him at $4 million --- yes, you're looking at a $2 million.

If Buch is moved as part of that deal, you've got about $2 million in savings that theoretically goes back into ADA's salary.

Buch going does create a challenge on the right side, and I think the Rangers are aware of that. You could see Kreider, Kakko, Gauthier in the top 9. It's also possible they give Kravtsov a long look if they think he can challenge.

But you're right, it's not a scenario without some serious consideration or concern.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I mean I'm not gonna sit here and complain about it but 2.4 AAV seems higher than I would've expected AG to get on a 2 year deal. I was thinking like 1.75 AAV for a 2 year deal.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I don't think that is an egregious contract figure for Georgiev. That said, I am not really a fan of the tandem buy out Hank + sign Georgiev move, but it is what it is. Hope Georgiev continues to play well and plays himself into a trade and starter role elsewhere.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Georgiev's got good numbers and probably would have gotten around the same if not a little more in arbitration. No idea why anyone was thinking he's be coming in under 2 million

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I thought he would get over 2 and 2.2M is not surprising, it's the 2nd year that surprised me, yet now that I look at it Shesty is a RFA next off-season so this at least staggers them.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Eeesh, that's higher than I was hoping for with Georgiev, but it was definitely a possibility.
I'm happy for AG and it's a good look that an undrafted free agent can get a fair shake.
But I would have hoped they could have gotten a third year at that price.

Reactions: eco's bones

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
There's a couple of ways to approach it. Strome is probably coming in closer to $5 million (if I had to guess). But let's the say the Rangers prefer him at $4 million --- yes, you're looking at a $2 million.

If Buch is moved as part of that deal, you've got about $2 million in savings that theoretically goes back into ADA's salary.

Buch going does create a challenge on the right side, and I think the Rangers are aware of that. You could see Kreider, Kakko, Gauthier in the top 9. It's also possible they give Kravtsov a long look if they think he can challenge.

But you're right, it's not a scenario without some serious consideration or concern.

All this being true, Kravstov is only a year away if he doesn’t challenge this year. When building a roster for long term contention, I think more value is assigned to center depth than wings, and we also have 3 top six (or even top line) quality LWs. I think virtually every GM around the NHL would view Zibanejad/Monahan as a far superior 1/2 than with Strome (as evidenced by zero takers for Strome before the draft). I’m sure Gorts would agree. I don’t think potentially weakening the wing position for one year to strengthen the center situation long term would be a deterrent. Kreider could potentially try switching wings or Kravstov could make the jump, and beyond this year it wouldn’t be much of a consideration. I like Buch, but from a roster building perspective, I think they’d value Monahan more.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey

I'm not splitting hairs. Just reporting that Monahan is $6.38m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad